Teams that need Goalies

Status
Not open for further replies.

big_steve

Dec 6, 2003
Newfoundland
I just went through both Hockey Futures team sites and TSN's Depth Chart and I only found one team that needed a future goaltender and that's Los Angeles. My question to all of you is which team's you think might pick a first round goalie in this year's draft?

Prucha73

big_steve said:
I just went through both Hockey Futures team sites and TSN's Depth Chart and I only found one team that needed a future goaltender and that's Los Angeles. My question to all of you is which team's you think might pick a first round goalie in this year's draft?

I think Devils could, Chicago too

Last edited by a moderator:

thestonedkoala

Ummm no...

Chicago has Leighton and Devils have Ahonen and Brodeur...

zecke26

Jan 16, 2003
thestonedkoala said:
Ummm no...

but leighton is anything else than a sure bet, don't you think?

does st.louis have a goalie prospect with starter qualities?

Mr.Sinister

Feb 2, 2003
Visit site
Los Angelos will pick a goalie this year, and the others may be Minnesota and Edmonton.

Minnesota has Harding, but i dont think they want to hang their hats on this guy, always good to have someone to compete with to help u develop.
Edmonton needs in goal are pretty real, with Conklin the starter for next year by default, they either have to acquire a vet or draft, and i think they will draft, they have 2 picks this year, there own at 17 and Philys which i think is like 26, 27 or 28,
if they use there first pick, they probably have a chance at who ever the Kings dont chose, the kings are at 11. If they use there second pick somthing tells me neither schwarz or montoya will be there, so dont be surprised if they pick Dubnyk.

Thats the way i interpret it,
latz

Lowetide

Feb 27, 2002
Oilers are apparently about to sign Jeff Drouin Deslauriers, but even after that they have little depth below him.

I'd say they certainly would be a candidate to take a goalie, either at #14 or (more likely) when they use Philly's pick in the first round.

thestonedkoala

Minnesota will take a few goalies this year (THANK YOU RISER, YOU SUCK!)...

Kafka

Mar 1, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
big_steve said:

You forgot the Leafs... they should now learn to build their team via the draft...... oups, I just remembered they traded a lot of high draft pick recently... still, you can always pick good goaltenders in late rounds... (ex: Theodore in 2nd round and Vokoun 6th or 7th the same year)

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
Vancouver is a strong candidate to take a goalie in my opinion, especially now that Mensator has left North America.

Prucha73

thestonedkoala said:
Ummm no...

yes but besides them they have nothing more. Also Colorado might take a goalie.

thestonedkoala

Agreed that Vancouver needs one...

Chicago also has Anderson and Crawford, it's going to take a while but Chicago has a lot of depth in goal.

New Jersey doesn't need a goaltender until Martin reaches 40ish...

SmokeyClause

Feb 27, 2002
Miami, FL
Visit site
Nashville certainly is looking for more depth in their goaltending pipeline. They have Finley and Lassila. Finley just finished his first injury free season in quite some time. He's only played 73 (1 NHL, 65 AHL , 7 ECHL) games over the past 3 seasons. So he's basically seen, in the past 3 years, the same ice time as a lot of goalies receive in a little more than a year. He's basically two years behind schedule and he isn't even the full-time starter in Milwaukee. Now he had a nasty stretch where he was arguably the hottest goaltender in the A. From late January till late March, he went undefeated and had a nasty 94 save % and a 1.7 GAA all on a very offensive-minded hockey team. His hot streak helped propel Milwaukee to the top ranked team in the A. He has ample talent, as much as he'll ever need. But he needs to show the consistency of a 22 year old instead of looking like a super talented 19-20 year old.

Lassila is an intriguing prospect that the Preds are very high on. He has been very good in short stints with TPS Turku and has a very, very nice playoffs this year. But as with all goalie prospects, you'd be foolish to bet the farm on him becoming your future starter.

After that, we have a few prospects who don't appear to amount to anything special. Sidikov and Lasak (who is wonderfully talented) will probably never be NHLers. And that leaves us with Vokoun, who turns 28 in a month. We are one bad injury away from being screwed. We likely won't take a tender in the first round (unless one absolutely blows us away). But we'll probably try to snag one with one of our mid rounders

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Bryan Murray will probably draft an older goalie in the later rounds, to go play in the AHL.

Those older Euro goalies, though, are the ones you want to get. Goalies like Checkmanek, Gerber, Nurminen, Nabokov, etc. were drafted in the later rounds of their draft years.

Mat0109

May 24, 2004
Montreal
Anaheim: Giguere, Gerber and Bryzgalov(they need one but not this year)
Atlanta: Nurminen, Lehtonen(forget that, they will never pick a goalie!)
Boston: Raycroft! (they need a second goalie but not a young goalie!)
Buffalo: Biron (They will not pick a good goalie! Probably Churchill :dunno: )
Calgary: Kiprusoff and Turek(They need one but just in 1-2 year)
Carolina: Weekes, Irbe and Ward(They will probably take Schwartz #8)
Chicago: Thibault and Anderson(They need a goalie!)
Colorado: Aebischer and Sauve(Young and talented)
Columbus: Leclaire and Denis(Same thing that the Avs)
Dallas: Turco, Tugnutt and Bacashihua(Need goalie #2!!!)
Detroit: Hasek, Joseph and Legace(2 of the 3 will not be in Detroit next year, they will probably take a goalie in the 2-3 round)
Edmonton: Salo, Conklin and Drouin-Deslauriers(who said that they need goalies?)
Florida: Luongo, Hurme and Lajeunesse(Why does the Panthers have a 2nd goalie when Luongo play 75 games?)
Los Angeles: Cechmanek and Huet(Huet is the next goalie for the Kings but they need another one that can do the job)
Minnesota: Roloson, Fernandez and Holmqvist(no next generation goalie!)
Montreal: Theodore, Garon, Damphousse(They don't need a goalie!)
Nashville: Vokoun, Lasak and Finley(The Nashville's GM will not take a goalie this year)
New Jersey: Brodeur, Ahonen(Need a goalie but just in 4-5 year!)
Islanders: DiPietro and Dubielewick(Does Dubielewick can do the job?)
Rangers: Dunham, Blackburn, Markkanen(They have Blackburn and Markkanen, why will they go pick another one?)
Ottawa: Lalime, Prusek and Emery(Big question here, Lalime would it be the Lalime of 2 years ago?)
Philadelphia: Hackett, Esche and Nittymaki(They will take goalies just in 1-2 years)
Phoenix: Burke, Boucher and Bierk(Goalie is the priority here!)
Pittsburgh: Caron, Aubin and Fleury(They will take a forward, not a goalie!)
St.Louis: Johnson and Sanford(They need a #2 goalie)
San Jose: Nabokov and Toskala(They don't need a goalie here)
Tampa Bay: Khabibulin, Grahame and Konstantinov(They will take a goalie in 3-4 years!)
Toronto: Tellqvist and Centomo(They need a real goalie #1)
Vancouver: Cloutier and Auld(Cloutier is young! 29 years old!)
Washington: Kolzig, Charpentier, Ouellet and Stana(The Caps have their goalie for the future!)

Mr.Sinister

Feb 2, 2003
Visit site
Nice list, but u might want to leave out the Starter and backup, not like the boys drafted this year will play, u need to do a little more digging.

but nice try :shakehead

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
Mat0109 said:

Tugnutt is as good as gone (UFA), but the Stars have 3 prospects in NA (Ellis, Bacashihua and Smith) that are able to back up Turco right now, of which the former 2 are top 5 prospects in the organisation. They also have a gem playing abroad (Tobias Stephan).. A goalie is the absolute last thing the Stars need.

Last edited:

Chaos

And the winner is...
Sep 2, 2003
TX
Mat0109 said:

Tugnutt is gone, and your forgetting about Ellis, Smith, and a guy in Switzerland named Stephan....if we draft a goalie this year, it better not be higher than the 6th round.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
HABS456 said:
colombus needs a goalie ? they got denis and leclaire...

Columbus definitely needs to pick up another goalie this year. They're very thin in the organization beyond Leclaire. I don't think its a big enough need to use the team's 1st rounder on it (though it wouldn't completely shock me if MacLean traded down and picked one of Schwartz/Montoya -- unlikely, but possible).
If CBJ can pick up a 2nd rounder, I'd look for a goalie there. If not, they have three 3rds and I would bet one of those winds up being a goalie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad