Speculation: Teams still in need of a goalie?

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
I'm a bit surprised Carolina and Edmonton are going with their same tandem.
Edmonton really missed the boat here. So many good choices and they stood still. Another year of wasting McDavid. They could of had Matt Murray for Adam Larsson....will be a struggle to make playoffs

Reactions: NoelVilla

Apex Predator

Jun 21, 2019
Edmonton really missed the boat here. So many good choices and they stood still. Another year of wasting McDavid. They could of had Matt Murray for Adam Larsson....will be a struggle to make playoffs

I think Edmonton tried it’s just none of the free agent goalies wanted to come.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I think Edmonton tried it’s just none of the free agent goalies wanted to come.

Dell is born and raised in Airdrie and played for the Calgary Canucks, I would be absolutely stunned if he wasn't willing to come here.

Mostly we're just hoping Smith retires mid-camp and we grab Dell or Hill if they're waived. Smith is not good enough to be a 1B.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
I'm a bit surprised Carolina and Edmonton are going with their same tandem.
Canes' front office is all about value. The tandem they have has value at their cap hits. They did look to upgrade, but they weren't in the market for an overpay or a marginal improvement if it cost assets to move one of the two that they already had, which in this environment, was likely. Both goalies had over 0.920 save percentage in the playoffs, they were not the problem. They could be better, but again, the Canes' front office wants value at that position and they didn't find it.

Reactions: DaveG and Chrispy

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
A healthy Francouz is probably good enough for a contender. And Carolina won't win with their goaltenders.

A healthy Francouz started 30 games this season and went 21-7-4 with the 6th best SV% in the NHL. For an NHL rookie, I think that's more than good enough to earn another shot at it next season. The couple of playoff games he played while injured don't change that.

usekakkorightquinn

Oct 18, 2019
Canes' front office is all about value. The tandem they have has value at their cap hits. They did look to upgrade, but they weren't in the market for an overpay or a marginal improvement if it cost assets to move one of the two that they already had, which in this environment, was likely. Both goalies had over 0.920 save percentage in the playoffs, they were not the problem. They could be better, but again, the Canes' front office wants value at that position and they didn't find it.

They were the problem. Both goalies suck. The only reason their save % was high was because the Rangers players were basically drinking and eating the entire Covid break and didn't show up. The next series vs. Boston they came way down. They would have been much worse but Pastrnak only played 2 games out of 5 and had 4 points.

Reactions: the Chad Kilger

the Chad Kilger

Apr 30, 2020
it's unbelievable that Sabres and Canes didnt find an upgrade with all the goalies moving the past week. going into a season where both rosters need to contend running back up level goalies is a disservice to the talent they have

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
Dell is born and raised in Airdrie and played for the Calgary Canucks, I would be absolutely stunned if he wasn't willing to come here.

Mostly we're just hoping Smith retires mid-camp and we grab Dell or Hill if they're waived. Smith is not good enough to be a 1B.

Dell isn't even that good, not much of a difference in him and Smith performance wise.

TySmith4Norris

Oct 13, 2020

Pittsburgh supposedly declined that offer

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
it's unbelievable that Sabres and Canes didnt find an upgrade with all the goalies moving the past week. going into a season where both rosters need to contend running back up level goalies is a disservice to the talent they have

Snoozing on yout own dog Jonas Johansson?

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I am one if the most unimpressed by signing up Smith again. Trust me. I was very optimistic coming into the season without him.

If I ever get divorced I want Mike Smith's agent to represent my interests :laugh:

1.5 mil salary, 500K bonuses, NTC at 39 years old after a .902 season smfh

Last edited:
Reactions: Evgeny Oliker

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
With all this chatter about the Oilers goaltending, I wonder if Hollands odd "complete opposite of expectation" goalie luck eventually follows him there...

Since the advent of the salary cap, most of the goalie moves Holland made in Detroit ended up the complete opposite of what was expected:

-Signs Chris Osgood as starter coming out of the lockout -> Result: Dude gets hurt in camp, never really gets going and Manny Legace becomes starter.
-Legace melts down in the playoffs, but don't worry, we've got Osgood with lots of playoffs experience ready to go for game 4 -> Tweaks groin in morning skate and is done for the series
-Signs Dominik Hasek to replace Legace -> Gets one good season and playoffs out of him before Chris Osgood ends up backstopping them to a Cup
-Names Osgood starter and brings in Ty Conklin as a cheap #2 -> Osgood is dreadful in the regular season, while Conklin keeps the team at the top of the league before Osgood brings it for the playoffs
-Keeps Osgood as starter and promotes Jimmy Howard as #2 because they basically have no choice -> Osgood blows again and Jimmy Howard comes out of nowhere and ends up 3rd in Calder voting
-Brings back Conklin to replace Osgood as Howard's #2 -> He blows and Joey MacDonald steals the #2 job, which Holland promises him for the next season
-Does Joey dirty by bringing in Jonas Gustavsson to "push Howard for the starting job in a contract year" -> Gustavsson can't even drink water without getting hurt, Howard has a career year, and Joey MacDonald goes to Calgary where, all things considered, he plays pretty decent filling in for Miikka Kiprusoff
-Signs Howard to a long term extension -> He struggles right out of the gate the next season, Gustavsson stays healthy for maybe 2 months enough to keep the Wings afloat until Howard settles down a bit, then Howard gets sick or something in the playoffs where Gustavsson is healthy and plays well
-Gives Gustavsson a raise to come back as #2/#1B -> Dude can't even BREATHE without getting hurt this time, Howard struggles and Mrazek ends up taking over the #1 job
-Crowns Mrazek as starter and goalie of the future, gives him starter money and even lets go of the Wings longtime goalie coach to promote the one from Grand Rapids that Mrazek prefers to work with -> Howard has a resurgence and steals the starting job back until Nick Jensen falls on him and puts him out for multiple months. Mrazek bombs in his absence and even loses the starting job to Jared Coreau for a little bit...
-Protects Howard in the expansion draft, exposing Mrazek, says team is comfortable with Coreau as an NHL goalie -> Howard struggled in the middle of the season while Mrazek turned it around a bit before they traded him to the Flyers because they didn't want to qualify him. Coreau is absolute garbage as #2 after the trade
-Signs Bernier to potentially push for the starting job while Howard is in a contract year -> Bernier stinks to start the year, and really only marginally improves while Howard is OK in the starting role
-Signs Howard to a 1 year extension with perf. bonuses based on playoffs and because Bernier wasn't great -> Howard has a historically terrible season for an NHL goalie and Bernier ends up having a good season

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
If MAF was 50% retained (3.5 for 2 years)

Would he be a useful addition in:

Chicago? (Are they really going to run 2 horrid goalies? - Guess they are rebuilding hard
Edmonton? (If you trade Smith Out, Fleury in) sounds like a big upgrade.
Carolina? (2 years of a much more legit #1, at 3.5M is the kind of "affordability Carolina is well known for)
Buffalo? (Fleury will be better than Hutton, do you guys believe Ullmark is going to improve)
Pittsburgh? (I know Fleury was there before, but how good is Jarry? Worst case he's better than DeSmith, and at 3.5 gives you a solid tandem)

I ask this because I'm sure for the right price from Vegas and one team above, Detroit could be a middle man to take on half his pay.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->