Speculation: Teams still in need of a goalie?

Cypher

May 25, 2011
Edmonton
avalanche.nhl.com
After Francouz playoff performance, COL should be in the market for another goaltender. With a replacement level back up performance, who knows how long their run would have been. A col/tbl final would have been some high end hockey.

Francouz was playing somewhat injured. Reports he wasn't 100% the entire time in the bubble.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
ANA: Gibson|________|Stolarz
ARZ: Kuemper|Raanta|Hill
CGY: Markstrom|Rittich
EDM: Smith|Koskinen|Forsberg
LAK: Quick|Petersen
SJS: Jones|Dubnyk
VAN: Holtby|Demko
VGK: Lehner|Fleury

CHI: ________|Subban|Delia
COL: Grubauer|Francouz
DAL: Bishop|Khudobin
MIN: Talbot|Stalock
NSH: Saros|Rinne
STL: Binnington|Husso
WPG: Hellebuyck|Brossoit

BOS: Rask|Halak
BUF: Hutton|Ullmark
DET: Greiss|Bernier
FLO: Bobrovsky|Driedger|Montembeault
MON: Price|Allen
OTT: Murray|Nilsson (concussion)|Hogberg
TBL: Vasilevskiy|McElhinney
TOR: Andersen|Campbell

CAR: Mrazek|Reimer
CLB: Merzlikins|Korpisalo
NJD: Crawford|Blackwood
NYI: Varlamov|Sorokin
NYR: Shesterkin|Georgiev
PHI: Hart|Elliott
PIT: Jarry|DeSmith
WSH: Lundqvist|Samsonov

We'll see if Chicago is really set on Subban/Delia/Lankinen. As others mentioned, Anaheim could be in the market for a backup; Stolarz has a one way contract for this year so perhaps they would use him. Vegas obviously would like to move Fleury but there may not be any openings now. Arizona signed Adin Hill to a cheap one way deal, so I could see them still try to move Kuemper but the market probably isn't great.
Bruins should trade Rask. who wants him ?

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
Oilers are wasting another year of Conor and Leons careers with goalies like that. Chicago is a mess but Lankinen is not bad.
Smith is a bit of a bad joke but Koskinen can be good enough, if the team defense gets where it should be. Doable.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
ANA: Gibson|________|Stolarz
ARZ: Kuemper|Raanta|Hill
CGY: Markstrom|Rittich
EDM: Smith|Koskinen|Forsberg
LAK: Quick|Petersen
SJS: Jones|Dubnyk
VAN: Holtby|Demko
VGK: Lehner|Fleury

CHI: ________|Subban|Delia
COL: Grubauer|Francouz
DAL: Bishop|Khudobin
MIN: Talbot|Stalock
NSH: Saros|Rinne
STL: Binnington|Husso
WPG: Hellebuyck|Brossoit

BOS: Rask|Halak
BUF: Hutton|Ullmark
DET: Greiss|Bernier
FLO: Bobrovsky|Driedger|Montembeault
MON: Price|Allen
OTT: Murray|Nilsson (concussion)|Hogberg
TBL: Vasilevskiy|McElhinney
TOR: Andersen|Campbell

CAR: Mrazek|Reimer
CLB: Merzlikins|Korpisalo
NJD: Crawford|Blackwood
NYI: Varlamov|Sorokin
NYR: Shesterkin|Georgiev
PHI: Hart|Elliott
PIT: Jarry|DeSmith
WSH: Lundqvist|Samsonov

We'll see if Chicago is really set on Subban/Delia/Lankinen. As others mentioned, Anaheim could be in the market for a backup; Stolarz has a one way contract for this year so perhaps they would use him. Vegas obviously would like to move Fleury but there may not be any openings now. Arizona signed Adin Hill to a cheap one way deal, so I could see them still try to move Kuemper but the market probably isn't great.

Updated/expanded list to guys currently under contract. Usually teams will have 5-6 guys signed, so not too many spots left. Might have missed some guys who are expected to stay in Europe or stay in their junior leagues:

ANA: Gibson|________|Stolarz|Eriksson-Ek|Durny
ARZ: Kuemper|Raanta|Hill|Provestsov|Tendeck
CGY: Markstrom|Rittich|Domingue|Parsons|Zagidulin
EDM: Smith|Koskinen|Forsberg|Skinner|Wells|Rodrigue
LAK: Quick|Petersen|Grosenick|Villalta|Kehler
SJS: Jones|Dubnyk|Melnichuk|Korenar|Emond
VAN: Holtby|Demko|DiPietro|Kielly|Silovs
VGK: Lehner|Fleury|Dansk|Ferguson|Patera

CHI: ________|Subban|Delia|Lankinen|Tompkins
COL: Grubauer|Francouz|Miska|Annunen|Werner
DAL: Bishop|Khudobin|Oettinger|Point
MIN: Talbot|Stalock|Kahkonen|Jones|Baribeau
NSH: Saros|Rinne|Ingram|Kasikuo|Cooley
STL: Binnington|Husso|Gillies|Fitzpatrick|Hofer
WPG: Hellebuyck|Brossoit|Comrie|Berdin|Holm

BOS: Rask|Halak|Vladar|Swayman|Booth|Keyser
BUF: Hutton|Ullmark|Luukkonen|Johansson
DET: Greiss|Bernier|Pickard|Larsson|Boyle|Fulcher|Brattstrom
FLO: Bobrovsky|Driedger|Montembeault|Desrosiers|Bednard
MON: Price|Allen|Primeau|Lindgren|Demchenko|McNiven
OTT: Murray|Nilsson (concussion)|Hogberg|Gustavsson|Daccord|Mandolese
TBL: Vasilevskiy|McElhinney|Gibson|Martin
TOR: Andersen|Campbell|Dell|Woll|Scott

CAR: Mrazek|Reimer|Nedeljkovic|Helvig
CLB: Merzlikins|Korpisalo|Kivlenieks|Vehalainen|Tarasov
NJD: Crawford|Blackwood|Wedgewood|Senn|Cormier
NYI: Varlamov|Sorokin|Schneider|Skarek
NYR: Shesterkin|Georgiev|Kinkaid|Huska|Wall
PHI: Hart|Elliott|Lyon|Sandstrom|Ustimenko
PIT: Jarry|DeSmith|Lagace|D'Orio|Larmi
WSH: Lundqvist|Samsonov|Vanecek|Copley|Fucale

Last edited:

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
Oilers, Blackhawks, and Sabres should look to acquire a goalie from the Rangers, Coyotes, or Blue Jackets.

There are some decent back ups avalaible in free agency like Miller, Howard, Anderson. Schneider, Sparks, Hutchinson, and Berube are lower end backups. McIntire, Correau, Bibeau, are worst case scenario back ups.

generalshepherd141

Jun 12, 2017
America
I feel like Stan might just be dumb enough to ride it out with the Hawks' current goalie room. Maybe he wants the #1 pick, I don't know, but that situation has gotta be one of the worst goalie competitions I've ever heard of.

Reactions: banks

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
Oilers are wasting another year of Conor and Leons careers with goalies like that. Chicago is a mess but Lankinen is not bad.

Mikko Koskinen is probably the most underrated goalie in the league right now. We finished 2nd in the division last year, and he played a big part of that.

Oilers, Blackhawks, and Sabres should look to acquire a goalie from the Rangers, Coyotes, or Blue Jackets.

There are some decent back ups avalaible in free agency like Miller, Howard, Anderson. Schneider, Sparks, Hutchinson, and Berube are lower end backups. McIntire, Correau, Bibeau, are worst case scenario back ups.

Koskinen is better than Georgiev or Korpisalo, and he's a much safer option than Elvis. You also have to remember that the Jackets goalies play behind one of the best defensive groups in the league. Kuemper/Raanta would both be good options, but it seems like the Coyotes asking price is extremely high.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
The market for goalies is thinning out.

G Schneider
G Dell
G Miller
G Anderson
G Howard
G Hutchinson
G Hammond
G Condon
G McIntyre
G Coreau
G Sparks
G Berube
G Wedgewood
G Bibeau
G Desrosiers
G Bow
if schneider is at the top of your list, you are operating in a vacuum.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
if schneider is at the top of your list, you are operating in a vacuum.

Schneider is no longer on the market, he signed a contract days ago. Same for Aaron Dell.

On the Free Agent market only Howard, Miller and Anderson are left who may have a shot at finding a job.

If teams are looking for goaltending it'll likely be through trades at this point. Maybe Fleury or Kumeper get moved.

Last edited:
Reactions: banks

Islay1989

Feb 24, 2020
After Francouz playoff performance, COL should be in the market for another goaltender. With a replacement level back up performance, who knows how long their run would have been. A col/tbl final would have been some high end hockey.
He was injured.

FormerSabresFan

Sep 14, 2015
That was last year - is that still a problem?

Yeah, he wasn't pretty bad even before the eyes became a problem...when the eye injury hit he pretty much single handedly tanked their season.

He didn't win a game from mid-October to early-February

If they can't trade him, they should bury him in the AHL.

They really need to upgrade in goal to push for playoffs...and I feel their in a weird spot where if they stick with Hutton they're barely a bubble team but if they upgrade they have a chance to not just push for playoffs, but possibly make some noise.

I've heard that Arizona is asking a lot but I'd probably pull the trigger if they're willing to retain or take at least some salary back to make the trade work.

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Mikko Koskinen is probably the most underrated goalie in the league right now. We finished 2nd in the division last year, and he played a big part of that.

Koskinen is better than Georgiev or Korpisalo, and he's a much safer option than Elvis. You also have to remember that the Jackets goalies play behind one of the best defensive groups in the league. Kuemper/Raanta would both be good options, but it seems like the Coyotes asking price is extremely high.
Koskinen was so underrated that your coach started Mike Smith in the play in round?
And your GM made a big pitch for Markstrom in free agency offering him a huge contract.
I think the Oilers were clearly looking to upgrade both goalies as they also took a run at Holtby.

Last edited:
Reactions: NoelVilla

Llamamoto

Sep 5, 2018
Koskinen was so underrated that your coach started Mike Smith in the play in round?
And your GM made a big pitch for Markstrom in free agency.
I think the Oilers were clearly looking to upgrade both goalies as they also took a run at Holtby.

That was a terrible move by Tippet that ended up costing us big-time.

I never said that we couldn't use an upgrade, that's why I brought up Kuemper and Raanta. But he isn't worse than fringe starters/solid backups in Korpisalo and Georgiev.

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
That was a terrible move by Tippet that ended up costing us big-time.

I never said that we couldn't use an upgrade, that's why I brought up Kuemper and Raanta. But he isn't worse than fringe starters/solid backups in Korpisalo and Georgiev.
Agree with that.
It just doesn’t seem that the coach or GM has much confidence in him even though his stats look decent.

Llamamoto

Sep 5, 2018
Agree with that.
It just doesn’t seem that the coach or GM has much confidence in him even though his stats look decent.

Tippet's always been super high on Smith, even dating back to his Arizona days.

Holland's goal was to trade Koskinen to make room for Markstrom, but they ended up getting outbid. Where did you hear the Holtby rumours?

Odie Cleghorn

Jun 8, 2020
A healthy Francouz is probably good enough for a contender. And Carolina won't win with their goaltenders.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad