Speculation: Teams still in need of a goalie?

sal00

Jul 5, 2011
Rangers probably still want a veteran to back up their young goalies unless they want to ride them in A/B.
Buffalo still needs a goalie instead of Hutton if they want to be remotely competitive
Colorado has always been linked to a goaltender help/upgrade. Maybe they are working out a deal to get a retained Fleury somehow?
Anaheim probably needs a bargain veteran backup for Gibson.

Reactions: banks

Nucks for the Cup

Jul 28, 2011
Vancouver
Chicago seems to be the only one with an urgent need unless the plan is to tank next season.
Buffalo & Carolina could use an upgrade but are not in desperate need. STL might need a better backup.
When they resigned Subban they announced that him and Delia would be competing for the starting job(gross) so I doubt they are gonna bring someone in and don't think they even have the cap room

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
I only see Anaheim needing a backup unless they go with Anthony Stolarz and I bet they just sign one of Dell Anderson or bring back Miller

For the Ducks it's in all likelihood going to be Miller/Stolarz. Miller wants to come back but it's dependent on what the season will look like. They're going to give him all the time he needs to decide. So there will probably be slim pickings at that point if he decides to hang them up.

Last edited:

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
ANA: Gibson|________|Stolarz
ARZ: Kuemper|Raanta|Hill
CGY: Markstrom|Rittich
EDM: Smith|Koskinen|Forsberg
LAK: Quick|Petersen
SJS: Jones|Dubnyk
VAN: Holtby|Demko
VGK: Lehner|Fleury

CHI: ________|Subban|Delia
COL: Grubauer|Francouz
DAL: Bishop|Khudobin
MIN: Talbot|Stalock
NSH: Saros|Rinne
STL: Binnington|Husso
WPG: Hellebuyck|Brossoit

BOS: Rask|Halak
BUF: Hutton|Ullmark
DET: Greiss|Bernier
FLO: Bobrovsky|Driedger|Montembeault
MON: Price|Allen
OTT: Murray|Nilsson (concussion)|Hogberg
TBL: Vasilevskiy|McElhinney
TOR: Andersen|Campbell

CAR: Mrazek|Reimer
CLB: Merzlikins|Korpisalo
NJD: Crawford|Blackwood
NYI: Varlamov|Sorokin
NYR: Shesterkin|Georgiev
PHI: Hart|Elliott
PIT: Jarry|DeSmith
WSH: Lundqvist|Samsonov

We'll see if Chicago is really set on Subban/Delia/Lankinen. As others mentioned, Anaheim could be in the market for a backup; Stolarz has a one way contract for this year so perhaps they would use him. Vegas obviously would like to move Fleury but there may not be any openings now. Arizona signed Adin Hill to a cheap one way deal, so I could see them still try to move Kuemper but the market probably isn't great.

crashthenet

Jul 9, 2004
Hockey Falls
When they resigned Subban they announced that him and Delia would be competing for the starting job(gross) so I doubt they are gonna bring someone in and don't think they even have the cap room

Not sure if that's a strong enough descriptor. Supposedly in on Murray but couldn't get a deal done and still a maybe for Fleury. It can't be those two. It just can't.

Spectra

Registered boozer
Aug 3, 2005
The Hawks goaltender roster is, at best, AHL level. Expect an upgrade but who knows if there'll even be a league in 6 months, so who really cares?

If no upgrade in net, I look forward to (as in will not watch one second) of the tanking season for Chayka/Power/Räty/Lysell or whoever is the "top prospects".

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
The market for goalies is thinning out.

G Schneider
G Dell
G Miller
G Anderson
G Howard
G Hutchinson
G Hammond
G Condon
G McIntyre
G Coreau
G Sparks
G Berube
G Wedgewood
G Bibeau
G Desrosiers
G Bow
There is still the trade market too where I would imagine Vegas still has to find a way to move Fleury, Jackets might trade a goalie and Arizona has to move money so one of their goalies might go as well.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville

They meant they'll carry 3 goalies and Subban & Delia would compete to be the backup to MAF...

Remember, Fleury had his final NTC list in around a month ago before Saad was traded away.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
I am holding out hope that Hawks sign Nalimov and give him the #1 job

Nalimov has tried to get Bowman to sign him but Bowman is an idiot

Either way the situation in Chicago is embarrassment... Bowman has had years to find successor/talent at position knowing Crawford would not be around forever and the time Stanley decides to walk away from Crawford is when we have literally the worst collection of goalies under contract in NHL

Last edited:

exporta

Jul 30, 2005
ANA: Gibson|________|Stolarz
ARZ: Kuemper|Raanta|Hill
CGY: Markstrom|Rittich
EDM: Smith|Koskinen|Forsberg
LAK: Quick|Petersen
SJS: Jones|Dubnyk
VAN: Holtby|Demko
VGK: Lehner|Fleury

CHI: ________|Subban|Delia
COL: Grubauer|Francouz
DAL: Bishop|Khudobin
MIN: Talbot|Stalock
NSH: Saros|Rinne
STL: Binnington|Husso
WPG: Hellebuyck|Brossoit

BOS: Rask|Halak
BUF: Hutton|Ullmark
DET: Greiss|Bernier
FLO: Bobrovsky|Driedger|Montembeault
MON: Price|Allen
OTT: Murray|Nilsson (concussion)|Hogberg
TBL: Vasilevskiy|McElhinney
TOR: Andersen|Campbell

CAR: Mrazek|Reimer
CLB: Merzlikins|Korpisalo
NJD: Crawford|Blackwood
NYI: Varlamov|Sorokin
NYR: Shesterkin|Georgiev
PHI: Hart|Elliott
PIT: Jarry|DeSmith
WSH: Lundqvist|Samsonov

We'll see if Chicago is really set on Subban/Delia/Lankinen. As others mentioned, Anaheim could be in the market for a backup; Stolarz has a one way contract for this year so perhaps they would use him. Vegas obviously would like to move Fleury but there may not be any openings now. Arizona signed Adin Hill to a cheap one way deal, so I could see them still try to move Kuemper but the market probably isn't great.

After Francouz playoff performance, COL should be in the market for another goaltender. With a replacement level back up performance, who knows how long their run would have been. A col/tbl final would have been some high end hockey.

Reactions: GordonGraham

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
Rangers probably still want a veteran to back up their young goalies unless they want to ride them in A/B.
Buffalo still needs a goalie instead of Hutton if they want to be remotely competitive
Colorado has always been linked to a goaltender help/upgrade. Maybe they are working out a deal to get a retained Fleury somehow?
Anaheim probably needs a bargain veteran backup for Gibson.

Shesterkin and Georgiev are both 24, so they should be physically mature enough to handle 40 - 50 games at the NHL level...

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
The Hawks goaltender roster is, at best, AHL level. Expect an upgrade but who knows if there'll even be a league in 6 months, so who really cares?

If no upgrade in net, I look forward to (as in will not watch one second) of the tanking season for Chayka/Power/Räty/Lysell or whoever is the "top prospects".

That's why I started the Fleury to Chicago thread last night...

They're clearly the best fit for him at this point

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
After Francouz playoff performance, COL should be in the market for another goaltender. With a replacement level back up performance, who knows how long their run would have been. A col/tbl final would have been some high end hockey.

I'm of the mindset that the 2020-2021 Colorado Avalanche are the 1994-1995 Quebec Nordiques. They are good enough to win a ton of games but they got Fiset and Thibault in net. I'm not saying to find a Roy (Carey Price could totally fit the cap with a little bending but we are not going there lol) but if they can find a real #1 and have a solid backup? They'd be a Cup favourite for the next 3 years.

Reactions: ShelbyZ

RWatson29

Apr 24, 2012
Ontario
Buffalo needs a goalie. Hutton said he has vision problems. Can’t track a beach ball. Sabres really can’t have him as a goalie

KrisBeKreame

Oct 5, 2009
Virginia
The Islanders will need someone for the AHL but will prob wait out the free agency to see what shakes out. They currently have 4 Goaltenders through out the entire organization (Varlamov, Sorokin, Skarek and newly drafted Tikkanen)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad