LeBrun: Teams contacting Aho's camp, only interested in signing with Carolina (initial ask is 9.5M)

Brock Anton

flames #badnwagon
Nov 8, 2009
Westerly, RI
Seems like the 2 parties are very far apart on AAV and term at this point. I wonder if Aho starts more seriously entertaining signing an OS if Carolina doesn't up their offer significantly in the coming weeks.

There's nothing remotely credible that says they're far apart on money. The issue is the years, it's kinda known that the team wants him for 8 and now it's reported that Aho and his camp want 5. Like I said, this probably ends with a 6-year deal at something around or above $9M per.

Pengu

Jun 24, 2016
It's only the soulless vapid Marner who supposedly "loves" the leafs that is out the selling himself to the highest bidder....

Reactions: HabsMD97

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
I'd pay him 5X9.5 on an offer sheet.

Win win. Carolina likely matches, my team causes the price to go higher.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
9,5M x 5 years is yikes. Thats 4 RFA years and he would be an UFA at the age of 26.

I mean its an opening offer but it shows where things are heading and as a fan of the team Rantanen is on, I really don't like this.

I had hoped to get Rant for 7-8 years for a hair under 10M. Does not seem likely at this point. It looks like RFAs are no longer willing to really give on the AAV if the team agrees to a shorter deal eating mostly RFA years and if a team wants 7-8 years, they better be prepared to come very close to UFA value.
Guess we are headed for another lockout (which we probably were anyways)...

Reactions: SaskCanesFan

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Damn 9.5 for 5 years is a crap deal for the canes. He should be getting that on 8 year deal. Him, Marner and Rantanen all deserve +/-500k of 9.5 million on 7-8 years. Looking like RFAs will be trying to get max money on shorter 5 year deals.
I seriously wonder why? How could that be?

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
9,5M x 5 years is yikes. Thats 4 RFA years and he would be an UFA at the age of 26.

I mean its an opening offer but it shows where things are heading and as a fan of the team Rantanen is on, I really don't like this.

I had hoped to get Rant for 7-8 years for a hair under 10M. Does not seem likely at this point. It looks like RFAs are no longer willing to really give on the AAV if the team agrees to a shorter deal eating mostly RFA years and if a team wants 7-8 years, they better be prepared to come very close to UFA value.
Guess we are headed for another lockout (which we probably were anyways)...

He's one of the best wingers in the league, and getting to be one of the toughest to play against.
With his stats with max term under 10 just doesn't sound realistic and hasn't for some time.

Aho starts at 2M lower than what Matthews signed for, that's good news for Carolina.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
He's one of the best wingers in the league, and getting to be one of the toughest to play against.
With his stats with max term under 10 just doesn't sound realistic and hasn't for some time.

Aho starts at 2M lower than what Matthews signed for, that's good news for Carolina.

Well the best winger in the league signed for sub 10 a year ago after coming off of a bridge deal. And the cap has not increased that much since then. It really looks like Dubas has screwed all teams with RFAs that are up now.

As I said. It seems like agents/players are pushing for equality between RFA/UFA years which to me makes no sense personally.
Sure Panarin will probably reset the winger market a week from now but I still don't believe Rants should get 10.5-11 M on a longterm deal that includes 4 RFA years.

I hope we can get him for 7x9.6 (didn't these kids grow up idolizing Crosby. So emulate him please and take your goddamn number as salary...)

Atleast I hope it will be atleast 6 years and I don't think the Avs will go above 10M. Atleast not before December. We are known for playing hardball with our RFAs. Will be interesting how this shakes out with Mikko. Certainly could see him missing camp..

Xanner

Aug 2, 2009
Oh-noes-everybody-panic.gif

Everyone on the boards right now.

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
I'm not sure why everyone is acting like shorter deals for RFAs are something new. 5 or 6 year deals are the norm.

Honestly it's not even all bad for the team. Assuming the player wants to re-sign, think about that next big contract. Would you rather sign a guy to 8 years from age 29 to 37 or from age 26 to 34? The hardest part is making sure your team remains competitive enough that the player wants to stay.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Well the best winger in the league signed for sub 10 a year ago after coming off of a bridge deal. And the cap has not increased that much since then. It really looks like Dubas has screwed all teams with RFAs that are up now.

As I said. It seems like agents/players are pushing for equality between RFA/UFA years which to me makes no sense personally.
Sure Panarin will probably reset the winger market a week from now but I still don't believe Rants should get 10.5-11 M on a longterm deal that includes 4 RFA years.

I hope we can get him for 7x9.6 (didn't these kids grow up idolizing Crosby. So emulate him please and take your goddamn number as salary...)

Atleast I hope it will be atleast 6 years and I don't think the Avs will go above 10M. Atleast not before December. We are known for playing hardball with our RFAs. Will be interesting how this shakes out with Mikko. Certainly could see him missing camp..

Rant's doesn't play for Tampa and damm would Kucherov be getting paid if he was signing now.
It's just better for he signed last summer.

With some of the signings we need to raise our expectations for these contracts, and with them 9M something for Aho looks like a steal already.

bukwas

Stanley Cup 2022
Sep 27, 2017
Business as usual folks.
It`s surprising how the offersheet seed the rumormongers planted has caused so many, generally reasonable people, to mainly focus on that single angle even during basic run of the mill activities.
If i had interest (either current or future) in a player on another team and had the chance to legally let him know, offersheet thoughts or not, I would certainly seize the opportunity.

A Loyal Dog

I love SlafCaulZuki (pronounced Slafkovsky). Woof!
Oct 20, 2016
"I'M LOYAL TO MY TEAM!!!!"

A few years later when having an off-year: GM trades "loyal" player.

f***ing idiots. Loyalty does not BELONG in the hockey business. As the great Marc Bergevin once said: if you want loyalty, buy a dog.

BEdqo4c.jpg

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
You realize the vast majority of star 2nd contracts since the lockout have been 5-6 years right?
I guess I should say 5 years at such a high AAV. MacKinnon, Barkov, Monahan, Gaudreau, Pasta, Tank, Larkin, etc etc all signed for 5-6 years but at a much more reasonable AAV. Matthews is good, but he's nowhere near as good as what he's being paid. Dubas f***ed up the market for sure.

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
9.5 x 5 is a very fair ask from Aho with where the market is now. What's the issue from Carolina? Just sign that deal. Most of these young RFA players want 5-6 years instead of 7-8

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Rant's doesn't play for Tampa and damm would Kucherov be getting paid if he was signing now.
It's just better for he signed last summer.

With some of the signings we need to raise our expectations for these contracts, and with them 9M something for Aho looks like a steal already.

I agree on Kuch/Tampa and the last summer angle. I was praying for Sakic to sign Rantanen to a longterm 8M deal last offseason. Too bad it did not happen.

Who would have thought that Edmonton got a steal with Draisaitl when everyone was complaining about that signing. How quickly times change I guess. That 8x8.5M deal looks like a total bargain right now.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I agree on Kuch/Tampa and the last summer angle. I was praying for Sakic to sign Rantanen to a longterm 8M deal last offseason. Too bad it did not happen.

Who would have thought that Edmonton got a steal with Draisaitl when everyone was complaining about that signing. How quickly times change I guess. That 8x8.5M deal looks like a total bargain right now.

Yeah right now it looks like great value, but can it be called a steal when similar aged forwards a'la Mackinnon/Barkov/Scheifele/Pasta are in the 6M range?

Rants at 10M would be seen in a similar way in few years time when he's in his early prime, same goes for Aho.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad