Dreger: Teams calling about Nick Paul

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Teams are calling about him ... I wonder where that came from ... We have heard this story before

We need Nick Kypreos to chime in here to tell us like it really is... That man is a thinker isn't he?

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Don't know why the Sens would trade Paul. He's never been a big offensive producer, so his mediocre production in the AHL shouldn't be very surprising.

It's his size and two-way game that will make him an NHLer. Was one of the best defensive forwards in the OHL in his final year.

Every team already has a Nick Paul or two.

Doubt it.

Not a whole lot of 6'4, 230lb forwards out there.

Reactions: Xspyrit and derriko

BigRig4

Feb 22, 2014
Dreger is doing a favour for Dorion here trying to drum up interest on Paul. There's no way multiple teams are interested.

Reactions: Mika Hoffmanijad

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I think Paul is underrated because it is taking some time before he comes back in the NHL for good. He kinda fall out of favor among Sens fans because he hasn't been called-up much. He will never be more than a bottom-6 forward but so did Bryan Boyle

Paul is just 22 y/o and is already excellent defensively, skates really well and is a good forechecker and possession player. He will add value to a NHL team bottom-6. He can produce 30 pts+ in his prime from the 3rd line.

I'm sure that's why some NHL teams are interested.

Anything left from the Spezza trade ?

Alex Chiasson : 19 G, 21 A in 153 NHL Games with Ottawa (then traded for Sieloff)

Nick Paul (22 y/o) : 2 G, 3 A in 26 NHL Games with Ottawa, 3rd pro season in Belleville currently

Gabriel Gagne (21 y/o) : 2nd pro season, long term project but good potential.

Patrick Sieloff (23 y/o) : not expecting any kind of NHL time with the Sens.

Ottawa were lucky that Spezza didn't want to re-sign with them because that 4 years 30 M$ contract wouldn't have been good for them. Spezza has been going downhill for a while now. The package they got isn't great though however they could of had Hornqvist + Spaling + 1st if Spezza didn't refuse it... too bad.

Shruggs Peterson

Mar 1, 2017
Most days I wish the Sens would have an affiliation with a team in the Swiss league so Boucher and Crawford would trust these young guys. Atm he doesn't have much value and it's hard to know how good he is because he hasn't had a real chance to play.

KingTux

On espère pour Lafrenière
Aug 9, 2013
hu2l
Mike McCarron ? Change of scenery ?

Maybe a little add from Ottawa, 4th or 3rd round pick or something.

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
Paul is huge, a good skater, and has WJC pedigree. Plays a smart game and if he ever decides to really engage, he could be a force. I could see him being a solid Martin Hanzal-lite down the road.

I haven't seen enough to tell if that might soon be the case but, with his training camp injury, I suspect they give him more looks before making a decision. He could definitely be a piece moved for a deadline pickup but, hopefully, he eliminates the need for one.

Were we to trade him, some guys I could see them targetting:

- Mark Letestu
- Patrick Maroon
- Markus Granlund
- Radim Vrbata

Last edited:
Reactions: derriko

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Mike McCarron ? Change of scenery ?

Maybe a little add from Ottawa, 4th or 3rd round pick or something.

lol no thanks. I have seen a ton of Macaron and he can't keep up with the NHL pace. Paul is actually quick.

And why would the Sens add? Because Macaron was a 1st round pick?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->