Team with a brighter future? SJS v OTT

Better future?

• Total voters

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Ottawa presently have San Jose’s unprotected 1st in the upcoming draft.

Both bottom 5 teams. Which team has the better future?

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
The Sharks have good young pieces still and have players that have proven something in the league. Ottawa is just "we could get better".

Reactions: Cassano

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Nobody would want their team owned by Melnyk, but in terms of team success, Ottawa probably has a brighter future at the moment. Some of those contracts on San Jose are going to destroy them for like a half decade or more. They're completely untradeable and will leave them in a perpetual state of never being good, but never being bad enough to get better. Their prospect pool does not help.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Still not giving up on the Karlsson/Burns pairing. SJ should be one of the very top contenders in the league this year - so based on that i pick them

POVERTY

Leafs and Marchand fan
Sep 27, 2017
Ownership aside I'd rather have Ottawa's situation. But as long as Eugene is still around I'll vote for the Sharks.

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
San Jose
- Centre depth
- Classy organization
- California
- Expectation for success

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
No cap obligations, Tkachuk and chabot as starting cornerstones, two big time 1st rounders this year in a deep draft, 3 2nds this year including Columbus', some big trade chips at this deadline most notably Pageau and Tierney and Demelo (the latter two from the Sharks).

Literally the only downside right now is Melnyk and Detroit sucking like a vacuum.

Can Melnyk screw up a burn it to the ground rebuild that actually appears to be on the right track? Call the CSI team in and let's find out!

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

ThatsSoSlavin

Aug 23, 2018
SJS are not very good lol

they have burns, Karlsson and couture, that’s an aging core, 3/4 years time the majority will be dead weight

Prospects? Merkley Is a solid one and they have older kids tearing up their draft plus one and two year, which tbh tends to not mean anything, ie. Adam brooks (there are exceptions, ie. mark stone, albeit rare)

their contracts are going to hurt them and their cupboards are pretty much empty and they have one first round pick player left from the last 4 years (traded Norris), not to mention a huge regression from jones and Meier

while Ottawa has melnyk they have a lot of promising prospects in every league.

SJS is fizzling out and the Sens have nowhere to go but up so I’ll (hesitantly of course) take them

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Ottawa has some great young pieces and will get two more in the draft. Even with Melnyk as owner they should have a brighter future than San Jose which has so much cap tied up in three players and too many older players and a shallow prospect pool overall.

Last edited:

Fear

Nov 17, 2014
Short term San Jose still has alot going for them and it was only a month ago they were considered a cup contender. Long term all signs point to Ottawa, but that's harder to predict

illpucks

May 26, 2011
OTT has a clean cap sheet and good young pieces. Its better than aging roster with not much room to maneuver cap wise.
And what do you think that owner does with all those good young pieces?

NeverForget06

Here we go again !
Jan 7, 2013
Edmonton
San Jose is a great organization. You don't continuing succeeding the way they have for years and years and years without the proper people commanding the ship.

I think there will be a time when Ottawa may be better than SJ, because the Sens have reached their bottom now, whereas SJ isn't into a full rebuild yet.

Overall though, I would trust the ownership and front office of San Jose over that of Ottawa

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad