TSN: Team USA U-18 has victory stolen from them in Edmonton

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
For a late summer game I didn't have a whole lot of emotional investment in, I feel almost as bad as I did after the Bruins playoff games with such horrific officiating.

I think that's because seeing the reaction of Team USA's young players hurt; they played their hearts out and got robbed.

I'm not blaming the officials - we're talking about hundredths of a second. But why can't these tournaments get with the times? Someone in the front row could have played the replay on their tablet for the refs, so why no instant replay?

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
I didn't watch, but I feel horrible for the US boys.

They wuz robbed. Ridiculous.

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
Pathetic

Good example of home bias intimidating refs

But I don’t blame them, stupid that those putting on the tournament can’t do video review. This was a clear case you could see on tv for the replay

Reactions: Fenway

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Just saw the highlights on TSN. As much as I would love to say the Canadians earned the victory I honestly can't - the Americans were robbed. :thumbd:

This is a made for TSN tournament but even Gord Miller was saying the US got robbed.

Video review came to the NHL after this fiasco in Boston in 1990

Keenan To Ask For Probe Into Ref`s No-goal Call

October 29, 1990|By Mike Kiley

Blackhawks coach Mike Keenan will ask National Hockey League President John Ziegler on Monday to organize an investigation into the goal Keenan says was wrongly disallowed in the closing seconds of the Hawks` 5-4 loss Saturday night in Boston.

Keenan emphasized he doesn`t seek a reversal of the decision by referee Andy vanHellemond. No, he has a larger objective in mind: ``The integrity of the game. The NHL is a laughingstock for this. We don`t have to embarrass our sport.``

Keenan believes this latest incident is further proof the NHL is overdue to install an instant-replay system that would have allowed vanHellemond to see what thousands of viewers did on TV. With the clock inserted on the screen, replays clearly indicate Dirk Graham put the puck in the net for what would have been the tying goal with three seconds remaining

``It was so obvious,`` Keenan said when explaining why he became so irate after the game he charged timekeeper Larry Stafford, who was across the ice from the Hawks, and tried to climb over the glass to get at him.

``Keenan lost his cool,`` charged Bruins General Manager Harry Sinden, angered to hear that Keenan had questioned the abilities of the off-ice officials he had hired.

Keenan responded to Sinden, saying, ``I don`t care what he says. I have every right in the world to say what I feel.

``This league must come of age. This is the 1990s and we have the technology for a mistake like this not to happen. It`s very simple for the referee to check a video and see the goal going in with the clock inset on the screen.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
not a good look at all. USA should be in the finals, case closed, feel awful for those kids who played a great game

bme44

Sponsor
Feb 18, 2010
Nova Scotia
Just saw the highlights on TSN. As much as I would love to say the Canadians earned the victory I honestly can't - the Americans were robbed. :thumbd:
I am Canadian, but the USA won the game. This is not on the officials it is on the organizers . I feel for the USA team and there fans.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
Just call one of the tv broadcasters. Ask for help. It’s 2018 for god sake. Just call down if your in charge of the tournament. That easy.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
May not be a good goal but giving up one late like that and putting it in the hands of the officials feels more like choking than being robbed

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
WTF...

I agree. It’s 2018. This should never happen in a game important enough to be on TV. Assuredly, the tech should have been there to make the right call.

Glad I didn’t watch. When things like this happen, I feel like I wasted time I’ll never have back.

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
Ya that's a legitimate comparrison, ever watched a game north of the border before and see these types of things happen? Take the blinders off
No never seen a game played in Canada ever in person or TV.

And following your literal take on this whole thing you are never to argue a blown call that is not allowed to be reviewed ever again.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
No never seen a game played in Canada ever in person or TV.

And following your literal take on this whole thing you are never to argue a blown call that is not allowed to be reviewed ever again.

You should expect to get that call like I expect to get served first in a crowded habs bar wearing my Bruins jersey

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->