Team USA Roster announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Japser17 said:
i don't think this is a horrible team compared to what the could have had. I think this is just about as good of team as we could have put together, i think this team does give us the best chance of winning.

That being said, Canada and Russia on paper are clearly better teams.

But there is no substitute for hard work and when the puck drops what on paper doesn't matter. This team needs to be willing to do all the little things if they hope to win it all and I think bringing in players like Halpern and Smolinski instead of York and Gomez makes them a harder working, tougher to play against team.

Please post your Team Russia and explain to me how it is a better overall team. I just don't see it.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Japser17 said:
I wouldn't say Russia has a question mark in goal, i think they are pretty set.

You're right. They have Khabibulin and probably Nabokov. Can't really go wrong there.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
cagney said:
I get the sense that some people are putting too much emphasis on the age of the team and not thier ability. On these boards, young = good while old = bad. People look at Chelios like the guy's dead already. Frankly, I'd take a dead Chelios over Richard Lintner anyday.

The average age of the U.S. team is 30.54 years. The youngest being Jordan Leopold, the oldest being Chris Chelios. The only other player that is "ancient" by NHL terms, is Brett Hull. The thing is, these guys can still produce at an elite level under the right circumstances. I'm not all that concerned. This is a veteran team for a veteran player's tournament.

Street Hawk

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
Actually...

Rabid Ranger said:
No, I don't think the U.S. team is better than the Canadian team. I do think it's at the very least comparable to the other top teams in the tournament. I could give you a million reasons why I feel that way and they would all be valid. As an example, I don't get the fascination with Sweden. Great offense, but very suspect defense and even more suspect goaltending. I mean come on, Tommy Salo?!?!?! The Czech Republic? Again, nice offense, questionable defense. Team seems to be set in goal with Vokoun, but who knows? Finland? Overall not very good. Slovakia? Weak defense, and weaker goaltender? Russia? Who knows who is going to be on the team. Could be good, could be very average. Germany? Yeah right. At the very worst I think the U.S. has the 4th best roster in this tournament. At best, I think it has a TEAM that could win it all. Yeah it's a veteran team, but it's not ancient. The average age, although that can be misleading is about 30.53, with only a couple players that are really up there, like Hull and Chelios. This team will be fine.

I think the Swedish Defense is not suspect. The likes of Lidstrom, Nordstrom, Ohlund, Jonsson, Ragnarsson and Tarnstrom are a solid group. Lidstrom is a true #1 guy, while Nordstrom and Ohlund are very good #2 men. That allows Jonsson, Rags, and Tarn to handle the #4 to #6 spots. Also, Lidstrom is the Best PP point man in the game.
But, like you said, Sweden is questionable in goal. Salo doesn't scare anyone. So, maybe Sweden opts for Tillqvist.

Czechs are as scarey as they used to be now that Hasek is on the decline.

Finland, well from top to bottom their roster will be ok, behind that of Canada, Russia, Sweden and probably the States and maybe the Czechs. But, with the play of Kipper as a #1 goalie, Finland finally has the goaltending to make a run, not to mention the other potentially great goalies coming up like Lehtonen, Arhonen, Noronen, etc.

Russia, should be good so long as their management team is respected by the players. If Nabokov was ruled Russian, they'd be up there with Canada with the best combo in nets.

Personally, this roster doesn't surprise me in the least. I expected low turnover from the Nagano team. It is kind of disappointing to see such an age gap between the current top US players and the next generation of top American stars.

Higgy4

Jan 18, 2004
Toledo, Ohio
Is it just me, or is the US team almost always the same group of guys in every international tournament? This team almost never changes. I am surprised that they didnt try to persuade Mike Richter to come out of retirement to play net.

I wish the USA would go a little younger. Guys like Hatcher, Hull, Chelios and Amonte shouldnt always be "automatic" picks. I like picking the young goalies...I like that alot. But the rest of the roster is the same one we see almost every year.

I love the Red Wings and all...but Hatcher, Hull and Cheli shouldnt ALL be on the team.

IMO

Jasper17

Apr 27, 2004
Rabid Ranger said:
Please post your Team Russia and explain to me how it is a better overall team. I just don't see it.

I don't know there whole team.

They are prob going to go with Fedorov, Tashin, Zhamnov and Datsyuk at center, which is pretty damn good.

Then they have guys like Mogilny, Kovalev, Samsonov, Kovalchuk at wing

Gonchar, Zhitnik, Markov on defense

Then Nabokov in goal

That is the makings of a pretty damn good team.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
Japser17 said:
I don't know there whole team.

They are prob going to go with Fedorov, Tashin, Zhamnov and Datsyuk at center, which is pretty damn good.

Then they have guys like Mogilny, Kovalev, Samsonov, Kovalchuk at wing

Gonchar, Zhitnik, Markov on defense

Then Nabokov in goal

That is the makings of a pretty damn good team.

last anyone has heard, fedorov won't be on the team.

zhitnik isn't better than anyone the USA is icing

and I see you realized Lidstrom is swedish and took him out.

Street Hawk

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
Did they have a choice?

Higgy4 said:
Is it just me, or is the US team almost always the same group of guys in every international tournament? This team almost never changes. I am surprised that they didnt try to persuade Mike Richter to come out of retirement to play net.

I wish the USA would go a little younger. Guys like Hatcher, Hull, Chelios and Amonte shouldnt always be "automatic" picks. I like picking the young goalies...I like that alot. But the rest of the roster is the same one we see almost every year.

I love the Red Wings and all...but Hatcher, Hull and Cheli shouldnt ALL be on the team.

IMO

Which vet US goalie is still around? Richter, Beezer and Barrasso are all retired.

Only real vet left was Mike Dunham and after the year he had in NYR, he'd be lucky to make the B squad.

Staring goalies for the various contries shake down as:

Canada - Brodeur (automatic, given he's 32 and has won 3 cups)

USA - Esche (he's in the conference finals)

Russia - Khabibulan (automatic, as there is no one else. Nabokov was ruled to belong to Khaz. in 2002)

Finland - Kipprusoff (he's in the SCF)

Czech - Voukon/Hasek - (I'd say Voukon simply because it's time for the Czechs to move on from 1998)

Slovakia - Lasak (only one I've heard of)

Germany - Kolzig

Can and Rus will stick with their SLC guys

Sweden likely will, but should have a quick hook in mind with Salo

Finland, Czech, USA are breaking in new guys from SLC

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Japser17 said:
You have to admitt some of these guys are not exactly in there primes anymore. Not to mention goaltending may be an issue when we play Russia and Canada.

Like i said i hope to god I am wrong.

Yep, because Robert Esche could never outplay Martin Brodeur or Eddie Belfour :eek:

Jasper17

Apr 27, 2004
John Flyers Fan said:
Yep, because Robert Esche could never outplay Martin Brodeur or Eddie Belfour :eek:

Are you being Sarcastic?

Because I don't think Esche can outplay Broduer

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Higgy4 said:

Hatcher is never automatic. He didn't make the SLC Olympic team. Certain guys, who are still damn good hockey players, i.e. Hull and Chelios deserve to be on this team for the contributions they've made to USA hockey.

I love how everyone is trashing this team. Suddenly, our defense sucks, our goaltending sucks, and our forwards can't score. I mean, christ, Canada's stacked team in 96 lost to a USA team with Joel Otto.....

FacelessButcher

Sep 20, 2003
Edmonton
Shoalzie said:
Tkachuk - Modano - Hull
Amonte - Roenick - Guerin
Drury - Weight - Langenbrunner
Rolston - Conroy - Blake

Leetch - Schneider
Rafalski - Hatcher
Chelios - Leopold
Tkachuk-Roenick-Hull
Amonte-Weight-Guerin
Drury-Modano-Langenbrunner
Kowanalchuk-Conroy-Halpern

Rafalski-Hatcher
Leetch-Schneider
Leopold-Chelios

For goalies just go with the hot hand

elphy101

Nov 8, 2002
City of Champions
Visit site
Not sure what bearing this has on anything. But I definitely find it funny that Ryan Smyth and Eric Brewer can play for Team Canada(imo the deepest most talented team across the board) and yet the Edmonton Oilers best player Mike York can't make Team USA.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
elphy101 said:
Not sure what bearing this has on anything. But I definitely find it funny that Ryan Smyth and Eric Brewer can play for Team Canada(imo the deepest most talented team across the board) and yet the Edmonton Oilers best player Mike York can't make Team USA.

I totally agree, Mike York fully deserves to be on this team. I was really surprised he wasn't selected.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
elphy101 said:

We don't know why that happens, it just does. Just like Draper and Maltby making Canada, or Halpern and Smolinksi for the USA....

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
Ok, explain this one to me. How come the big Lumberbutt wasn't even on the radar making the previous squad, but now he does, whereas in fact he's coming of a major injured riddled season that has likely made him even more slower? If all those excuses of "Hatch is too slow, especially for such a big ice survace" were of any truth, then what has changed so drasticly that made him making the team this time? I am just curious..

The defense and the situation in net is quite horrible in comparison with their competition, but we'll see how that pans out.

FacelessButcher

Sep 20, 2003
Edmonton
Modano = Dud said:
Ok, explain this one to me. How come the big Lumberbutt wasn't even on the radar making the previous squad, but now he does, whereas in fact he's coming of a major injured riddled season that has likely made him even more slower? If all those excuses of "Hatch is too slow, especially for such a big ice surface" were of any truth, then what has changed so drasticly that made him making the team this time? I am just curious..

The defense and the situation in net is quite horrible in comparison with their competition, but we'll see how that pans out.
http://wch2004.com/venues/index.html
The rinks are 85 by 200ft. meaning they're NHL rink size opposed to the 100 by 200ft. Olympic/International rink size.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
JasonMacIsaac said:
I think USA is fairly slow. I know this is played on North American ice but even still Canada can skate circles around them IMO.

Who's slow on the team? Besides Hatcher, they have some burners on this team.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
ZeroTheHero said:
But the rest are if not rockets, at least solid skaters.

Exactly.

Amonte, Modano, Guerin, Blake, Leopold, Leetch, and so on, these guys are burners.

The only non-burners are Hatcher, Chelios, and Miller IMO.

It's not like Pronger, Yzerman, Lemieux, and Blake are speedsters..

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
JasonMacIsaac said:
I think USA is fairly slow. I know this is played on North American ice but even still Canada can skate circles around them IMO.

Huh? Who is slow on the U.S. team besides Hull, Miller, and Hatcher? Even Chelios can still skate. If anything, this is a team full of good to great skaters, both on defense and offense. That was one of the key considerations when creating this team according to the U.S. management group. They wanted a fast team that could be quick on the forecheck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad