Team USA Roster announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
For those asking about York and Carney, I wouldn't be surprised if they were left off because they declined to play at the World Championships. I don't see any other reason why York wouldn't be there (An argument could be made for Carney too).

Gwyddbwyll

Dec 24, 2002
A little surprised Paul Mara wasnt included. He's more mobile than a lot of the defensemen they've picked. I guess they feel they have enough skill with Leetch, Rafalski and Leopold and just wanted to fill the rest with bruisers.

Narnia

Mar 1, 2002
Surrey, BC
picasaweb.google.com
cagney said:
For those asking about York and Carney, I wouldn't be surprised if they were left off because they declined to play at the World Championships. I don't see any other reason why York wouldn't be there (An argument could be made for Carney too).
York had an injured finger and couldn't go because of that. Now York is being penalized for not going to the WC because of injury. York would have been healthy enough by August. No impressed with this lineup.

Master Lok

Jul 31, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Wierd. Yorkie can play LW, RW and C. He can PK and PP. Great attitude, hard work ethic. He can score and check. His weakness is that he's not a huge player. I wonder why he's not on....

leafaholix*

That's definately one of the weaker teams of the top 5 that have been announced.

Canada, Sweden, US., Slovakia, Czech-Republic.

leafaholix*

Spockzky said:
It was Germany, the Czechs haven't been announced yet.
But you can bet they'll have a hell of a team.

They always do going into international competitions.

Hans Moleman

Was saying Boortuzzi
Apr 4, 2004
FTW
Leafaholix said:
But you can bet they'll have a hell of a team.

They always do going into international competitions.

No argument here, the only possible weak link they've ever had has been on the D, but that's only relative to their goaltending and forwards.

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
Hemsky83 said:
York had an injured finger and couldn't go because of that. Now York is being penalized for not going to the WC because of injury. York would have been healthy enough by August. No impressed with this lineup.

If he had a valid excuse for not going to the WHC's then I have no idea why York isn't on the roster.

:dunno:

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
cagney said:

York did break his hand again this year. Maybe that injury is still nagging him? I can't see any other reason he wouldn't be there

DownFromNJ

Mar 7, 2004
Gomez only seems to play well with a certain type of player. Guys like Elias, and Mogilny. USA doesn't have wingers that really play that style.

Who else has Gomez played with?

Gomez doesn't have to play center, he can play Wing (and did so for the majority of his NHL career).

Scott Gomez is the best playmaker USA has. He also had the best regular season on team USA. US wants a physical team? No Devil fan will tell you Gomez is soft. He's been called the "goon of the EGG line".

Team Dandenault

Sep 11, 2003
Visit site
DownFromNJ said:
Scott Gomez is the best playmaker USA has.

I disagree.

Team USA does not have wingers like Mogilny either. I think Modano is and if Drury has some more experience or confidence I'd say the same about him too.

I'm disappointed to see York and Hill left off.

Sean Hill's physicality is underestimated IMO. He came on strong in the second half of the season even though the Canes blow balls. Not only that, he and Chelios HATE each other. It would be interesting to see them play together, if not paired together.

Chelios

Jan 1, 2004
Visit site
Rabid Ranger said:
Who cares? This team is built for winning the World Cup THIS YEAR. It's not like this group of players will be together forever.

It looks as though this team was built to lose the world cup THIS YEAR. :lol:

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
Mobey said:
One thing I'd like to add is that I'm glad USA hockey held true to their statement that the World Championships would dictate the team members somewhat. Halpern and Conklin are on the team because of it. It's better for the entire hockey program that way.
I agree with this completely, although by that same token, Paul Mara should be on this team. That defense is an all-star corps in 2000, but I'm not at all sure about 2004. They went with rep when selecting that corps. Mara is one hell of a hockey player.

Dr Love

Mar 22, 2002
Location, Location!
I'm glad to see Robert Esche make the team, he has really earned it this year. I'm befuddled by the selection of Tony Amonte though, he's done nothing to come close to impressing me all year. He had a nice stretch midseason, but other than that he's been average.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
:amazed: Wow....

I knew the US would be a weak team this World Cup but....they are going to have a tough time not finishing last.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
Tuggy said:
:amazed: Wow....

I knew the US would be a weak team this World Cup but....they are going to have a tough time not finishing last.

they could finish last or first. just because some of these guys had an off season this year doesn't mean you can write them off. they've still got a pile of superstar players. i don't see much concern from many americans(other than embittered devils fans), but instead, a ton of canadians drooling over the possibility of a weak american team.

Team Dandenault

Sep 11, 2003
Visit site
When it comes to great young hockey players Barry Melrose says: "America don't have that".

Thanks Barry.

Can we trade Barry Melrose to the CBC if Roenick lands a job with ESPN?

Postman

Feb 27, 2002
mowzie said:
I thought Mike York's MVP season and ability to play all 3 forward positions added to his defensive non-liability would be enough to get a spot on the Florida Keys All-Stars. No worries kid, there's always 2016, maybe by then you'll be old enough.

He doesn't have a long enough arrest record for the Florida Keys all-stars.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
nomorekids said:
they could finish last or first. just because some of these guys had an off season this year doesn't mean you can write them off. they've still got a pile of superstar players. i don't see much concern from many americans(other than embittered devils fans), but instead, a ton of canadians drooling over the possibility of a weak american team.

Well....perhaps those superstar players had an offseason because they are at tail end of their careers. And you look at the depth players this team has:

Jason Blake
Craig Conroy
Chris Drury
Jeff Halpern
Steve Konowalchuk
Jamie Langenbrunner
Brian Rolston
Bryan Smolinski

These players would be hard pressed to make Canada's second team. Not to mention their goaltending has barely any international experience. Their defense is old/slow/not physical enough.

I'm sorry but this team is going have a lot of trouble dealing with the other teams in it's group: Canada, Russia and Slovakia.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad