Team USA right now

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Other than like 10 players, I don't think anyone has to be on the roster. There are 40-50 players who are really good NHL'ers and can compete with the best. Its a matter of who is playing the best when the roster is picked, who fits the style of play and how have you played before for team USA.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Bishop
Gibson
Quick

Mcdonagh - Carlson
Werenski - Jones
Suter - Trouba

Gaudreau - Eichel - Kane
DeBrincat - Matthews - Boeser
Kessel - Guentzel - Wheeler (hmm 2 rw but i think it could work)
B.Tkachuk - Larkin - M.Tkachuk

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Bishop
Gibson
Quick

Mcdonagh - Carlson
Werenski - Jones
Suter - Trouba

Gaudreau - Eichel - Kane

Trocheck should replace someone as a center. Guentzel is more of a winger.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
If there was a best-on-best tournament coming up soon, I'd put together a team like this:

Forwards (x13)

Matthew Tkachuk - Auston Matthews - Patrick Kane
Kyle Connor - Jack Eichel - Blake Wheeler
Johnny Gaudreau - Dylan Larkin - Cam Atkinson
Jake Guentzel - Vincent Trocheck - Alex DeBrincat
Joe Pavelski

Defense (x7)

Zach Werenski - Seth Jones
Ryan Suter - John Carlson
Ryan McDonagh - Jacob Trouba
Charlie McAvoy

Goalies (x3)

John Gibson
Ben Bishop
Connor Hellebuyck
Notes:
  • Would easily be the most talented Team USA since the 1996 World Cup and a definite gold medal favorite (not the favorite, though).
  • Forwards:
    • Other forwards I'd consider: Phil Kessel, TJ Oshie, Brock Boeser, Chris Kreider, Brady Tkachuk
    • I'm sure my Kessel omission will draw the most attention. Phil's obviously highly skilled and a big point producer, but he's one dimensional and on a team that's loaded with a ton of skill, I don't see a place for him. That wouldn't have been the case in the past (or shouldn't have been the case in 2016), but not at this point with the star power and depth boasted by USAH. He's not beating out Kane or Wheeler at RW and guys like DeBrincat and Atkinson offer nearly as much offensive ability while being more complete players overall, both defensively and competitively.
    • The only area I'd be worried about is the center depth. Not the top 4 because it's excellent, but I always like to have an extra center available and that's where things get a little dicey. Pavelski's a gray beard and slow but he's still a big producer and great at the dot, which is why I opted for him.
  • Defense:
    • Other defensemen I'd consider: Dustin Byfuglien, Jaccob Slavin, Torey Krug
    • It's hard to say Byfuglien and Slavin don't deserve spots on this team, but I'd rather take an extra forward versus two extra defensemen and I went with McAvoy for that extra spot. These are all top pairing, #1 defensemen so can't complain too much. With Buff, I'm worried that USAH wouldn't know how to use him (they certainly didn't at the World Cup), he takes a ton of penalties, and he wouldn't adapt well to not playing as much as he's used to or would want to. Slavin's great as well, but there's other guys that are just as good and bring more offensively.
  • Goalies:
    • Other goalies I'd consider: Jonathan Quick
    • I'd start whomever was playing best come hypothetical tournament time.
    • Quick had an awful year so I wouldn't force him on this team when the other three guys are better options right now, but if he'd had a better year, I wouldn't mind having him on as the #3 for his experience.

OKOptimistic

Feb 15, 2017
Texas
Tkachuk Matthews Wheeler
Gaudreau Eichel Kane
(scoring line)
Guentzel Larkin Kessel
Lee Bonino Hayes
(checking line)
Pavelski

Carlson Trouba
Werenski Jones
McDonagh McAvoy

Hanifin

Gibson
Hellybuyck
Quick

Werenski, Jones, McAvoy, and maybe Hanifin will be perennial defenders for USA. Matthews, Eichel, Tkachuk and Gaudreau will also be first choices for years to come. And I hope Guentzel and Larkin.
Lee is underrated and is captaining and leading the Islanders in goals. Bonino is a great defensive center with a 27 +/-.
Hayes and Kessel will be there for experience instead of Palmieri and Boeser. Atkinson is someone you should strongly consider

Young guys to watch:
Boeser
Connor
Tkachuk
Colin White
Greenway
Roslovic
Donato
DeBrincat

Last edited:

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Tkachuk Matthews Wheeler
Gaudreau Eichel Kane (scoring line)
Guentzel Larkin Kessel
Lee Bonino Hayes
(checking line)
Pavelski

Carlson Trouba
Werenski Jones
McDonagh McAvoy

Hanifin

Gibson
Hellybuyck
Quick

Werenski, Jones, McAvoy, and maybe Hanifin will be perennial defenders for USA. Matthews, Eichel, Tkachuk and Gaudreau will also be first choices for years to come. And I hope Guentzel and Larkin.
Lee is underrated and is captaining and leading the Islanders in goals. Bonino is a great defensive center with a 27 +/-.
Hayes and Kessel will be there for experience instead of Palmieri and Boeser. Atkinson is someone you should strongly consider

Young guys to watch:
Boeser
Connor
Tkachuk
Colin White
Greenway
Roslovic
Donato

You put Tkachuk,Gaudreau,Guentzel,Lee,Kessel,
Boeser,Connor,Tkachuk,Greenway,Donato..... over Alex DeBrincat...
- did you forgot that Alex is a American any chance????

Your top 9 is more like this:

DeBrincat-Matthews-Kane
Connor-Eichel-Wheeler
Gaudreau-Larkin-Guentzel

OKOptimistic

Feb 15, 2017
Texas
You put Tkachuk,Gaudreau,Guentzel,Lee,Kessel,
Boeser,Connor,Tkachuk,Greenway,Donato..... over Alex DeBrincat...
- did you forgot that Alex is a American any chance????

Your top 9 is more like this:

DeBrincat-Matthews-Kane
Connor-Eichel-Wheeler
Gaudreau-Larkin-Guentzel

DeBrincat & Atkinson were the closest to this team but he is young and Gaudreau is a better version of him. But yeah it's really close, can't pass up a guy like Anders Lee.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
If there was a best-on-best tournament coming up soon, I'd put together a team like this:

Forwards (x13)

Matthew Tkachuk - Auston Matthews - Patrick Kane
Kyle Connor - Jack Eichel - Blake Wheeler
Johnny Gaudreau - Dylan Larkin - Cam Atkinson
Jake Guentzel - Vincent Trocheck - Alex DeBrincat
Joe Pavelski

Defense (x7)

Zach Werenski - Seth Jones
Ryan Suter - John Carlson
Ryan McDonagh - Jacob Trouba
Charlie McAvoy

Goalies (x3)

John Gibson
Ben Bishop
Connor Hellebuyck
Notes:
  • Would easily be the most talented Team USA since the 1996 World Cup and a definite gold medal favorite (not the favorite, though).
  • Forwards:
    • Other forwards I'd consider: Phil Kessel, TJ Oshie, Brock Boeser, Chris Kreider, Brady Tkachuk
    • I'm sure my Kessel omission will draw the most attention. Phil's obviously highly skilled and a big point producer, but he's one dimensional and on a team that's loaded with a ton of skill, I don't see a place for him. That wouldn't have been the case in the past (or shouldn't have been the case in 2016), but not at this point with the star power and depth boasted by USAH. He's not beating out Kane or Wheeler at RW and guys like DeBrincat and Atkinson offer nearly as much offensive ability while being more complete players overall, both defensively and competitively.
    • The only area I'd be worried about is the center depth. Not the top 4 because it's excellent, but I always like to have an extra center available and that's where things get a little dicey. Pavelski's a gray beard and slow but he's still a big producer and great at the dot, which is why I opted for him.
  • Defense:
    • Other defensemen I'd consider: Dustin Byfuglien, Jaccob Slavin, Torey Krug
    • It's hard to say Byfuglien and Slavin don't deserve spots on this team, but I'd rather take an extra forward versus two extra defensemen and I went with McAvoy for that extra spot. These are all top pairing, #1 defensemen so can't complain too much. With Buff, I'm worried that USAH wouldn't know how to use him (they certainly didn't at the World Cup), he takes a ton of penalties, and he wouldn't adapt well to not playing as much as he's used to or would want to. Slavin's great as well, but there's other guys that are just as good and bring more offensively.
  • Goalies:
    • Other goalies I'd consider: Jonathan Quick
    • I'd start whomever was playing best come hypothetical tournament time.
    • Quick had an awful year so I wouldn't force him on this team when the other three guys are better options right now, but if he'd had a better year, I wouldn't mind having him on as the #3 for his experience.

I agree with almost all of this.

I think I'd add Slavin instead of Carlson or Trouba. I think he's better all-around than Trouba, and I think there might be enough offense from the back end to not include Carlson. Trouba and Slavin are both better defensively than Carlson.

The other disagreement is adding Atkinson. He's a good player, but I think if you want to have a skill guy in that 3RW spot, I'd rather have Kessel or Boeser. I think Kessel's the best all-around offensive player of the three, and Boeser is pretty close to the the other two offensively, and a lot younger than both. I might also put Debrincat in that 3RW spot, and have Kreider or B. Tkachuk in the 4th line winger spot. I don't like the idea of Debrincat on the 4th line.

Reactions: William H Bonney

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
I agree with almost all of this.

I think I'd add Slavin instead of Carlson or Trouba. I think he's better all-around than Trouba, and I think there might be enough offense from the back end to not include Carlson. Trouba and Slavin are both better defensively than Carlson.

The other disagreement is adding Atkinson. He's a good player, but I think if you want to have a skill guy in that 3RW spot, I'd rather have Kessel or Boeser. I think Kessel's the best all-around offensive player of the three, and Boeser is pretty close to the the other two offensively, and a lot younger than both. I might also put Debrincat in that 3RW spot, and have Kreider or B. Tkachuk in the 4th line winger spot. I don't like the idea of Debrincat on the 4th line.

I don't necessarily agree with all your takes on these players, but they're all guys that would rightfully be in contention for the team, if not on it, so it's hard to disagree when it's mostly a difference in personal preference. The nice thing about where we're at now is USAH would be forced to leave off a lot of top flight players from its best roster, which hasn't really ever been the case. Sure, there's been the constant baffling - but typical USAH - omissions (i.e. Kessel in 2016) and indefensible decisions (i.e. Dubinsky, Abdelkader, JJ in 2016, Komisarek in 2010, etc.), but in those instances, while they were leaving off better players (thus the indefensibleness), they weren't necessarily passing over a ton of top paring defensemen and top 6 forwards, which would be the case now.

I didn't put too much thought into the line combinations, but I agree with you on second thought and would probably swap Atkinson and DeBrincat as Atkinson is more well rounded than DeBrincat right now and thus a better fit for the makeup of the 4th line.

I'd actually take guys like Kreider and Tkachuk before I'd take Kessel. I agree Phil is the best offensively of those guys, but for example Atkinson is still pretty damn good offensively and he's so far beyond Kessel at everything else. Since this team wouldn't be short on offensive talent unlike years past, I'd rather take guys that could still thrive even if they're not in a prime offensive role. Kessel can't do that whereas those others guys can.

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
Bishop
Gibson
Quick

Mcdonagh - Carlson
Werenski - Jones
Suter - Trouba

Gaudreau - Eichel - Kane

No way B. Tkachuk deserves this over Anders Lee, Kreisler or even Brock Nelson. No love for Parise, Pavelski, Palmieri, Oshie, Patches, Gally or Keller either?

canuck2010

Dec 21, 2010
No way this team loses to Canada. I just don't see it.

Anything can happen in one game but over a best of seven series I don't see the USA winning. That makes a horserace however.

Definitely the best US team from top to bottom ever in my opinion.

Reactions: Newsworthy

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003

Why not? Let's just take 2019 for example. The top 20 scorers in the NHL had 11 Canadians and 3 Americans. That's just an example. Goaltending is a little sketchy with the U.S., their defense is very good and their forwards are good but lack the top end talent. Of the three Americans in the top 20 in scoring only one of them is under 30.

london flyer

Jan 2, 2018
best yank team ever but I still think canada has an edge.....but then again anyone of Russia canada usa Sweden or finland could win a short tourney

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Why not? Let's just take 2019 for example. The top 20 scorers in the NHL had 11 Canadians and 3 Americans. That's just an example. Goaltending is a little sketchy with the U.S., their defense is very good and their forwards are good but lack the top end talent. Of the three Americans in the top 20 in scoring only one of them is under 30.
I mean 2 of the top 8 are US, another in the top 15, and convenient to stop at 20...when just after is a ton of Americans - 10 in the top 45 for scoring isn't massive, but a better idea of the depth here. Gibson is the best goalie in the game on a shitty ass team, I will happily go to war with him over anyone in the league right now- just my opinion of course. I am not saying the US would win, but this group is better than the 2010 squad that took Canada to the brink...arguably the best group we have ever had since 1996.

Reactions: Newsworthy

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
I mean 2 of the top 8 are US, another in the top 15, and convenient to stop at 20...when just after is a ton of Americans - 10 in the top 45 for scoring isn't massive, but a better idea of the depth here. Gibson is the best goalie in the game on a ****ty ass team, I will happily go to war with him over anyone in the league right now- just my opinion of course. I am not saying the US would win, but this group is better than the 2010 squad that took Canada to the brink...arguably the best group we have ever had since 1996.

I've been saying it for years, I really wish you guys would start making some noise to the power brokers @ USAH about challenging Canada to a 8 game series. The 50th. Anniversary of the original Summit Series is quickly approaching, and the only thing that can really work now would be an Epic 8 game Canada v USA border clash. 7 will do, but 8 would be better. 4 home/away games each.

Let's make it happen.

Perhaps a U.S. win at this year's WHC would be the opening salvo.

Would be Sid's final international tournament.

It just seems obvious to me and the cash it would generate. probably 10x that of that gimmicky World Cup the NHL attempted a few years back.

Last edited:

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
I've been saying it for years, I really wish you guys would start making some noise to the power brokers @ USAH about challenging Canada to a 8 game series. The 50th. Anniversary of the original Summit Series is quickly approaching, and the only thing that can really work now would be an Epic 8 game Canada v USA border clash. 7 will do, but 8 would be better. 4 home/away games each.

Let's make it happen.

It just seems obvious to me and the cash it would generate. probably 10x that of that gimmicky World Cup the NHL attempted a few years back.

That would be epic. Would be fun to watch. Canada/Russia would be sentimental, but it would probably end in a 7-1 drubbing. Canada/USA would be better and can you imagine the hate those two would have for each other by the end?

I mean 2 of the top 8 are US, another in the top 15, and convenient to stop at 20...when just after is a ton of Americans - 10 in the top 45 for scoring isn't massive, but a better idea of the depth here. Gibson is the best goalie in the game on a ****ty ass team, I will happily go to war with him over anyone in the league right now- just my opinion of course. I am not saying the US would win, but this group is better than the 2010 squad that took Canada to the brink...arguably the best group we have ever had since 1996.

It would be a good team, and USA is now firmly entrenched as the #2 hockey power, no doubt. I just wonder if the top end talent you have could compete with Canada's.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado

That's silly. The last time Canada didn't win the championship in a best-on-best tournament was the 2006 Olympics. While USA Hockey is certainly is having a great run in terms of its player development, so too is Canada. And Finland. And Sweden. And Russia. It's not as if USA Hockey is hitting its peak in terms of player development while other nations are floundering.

Should a Team USA like this expect to win gold? Absolutely. And it should be a huge disappointment if they didn't. But would they be the favorite? No. And could they lose to Canada? Of course.

Last edited:

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
Anything can happen in one game but over a best of seven series I don't see the USA winning. That makes a horserace however.

Definitely the best US team from top to bottom ever in my opinion.
I'm really excited about the team USA will ice. I think you have to believe in your team. That's why the positive outlook.

PWiz30

I love to hockey!
Jan 3, 2013

Let's make it happen.

Love this idea. Loser has to claim Pierre McGuire as their own.

Reactions: AmericanDream

Tutu to

Jan 19, 2013
Toronto
On paper I still think Canada is better. Mcdavid, Crosby and Mackinon down the middle is something special. Best American team ever though

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
M.Tkachuk-Matthews-Kane
Connor-Eichel-Gaudreau
Debrincat-Larkin-Wheeler
Lee-Trochek-Boeser/Kessel

Suter-Carlson
Werenski-Jones
McDonagh-Slavin/McAvoy

Section88

Kaner? I hardly know her
Jul 11, 2017