Team USA Line up/Roster Predictions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
stardog said:
I saw the game as well and I think you and I saw a complete different AJ. Thelen was the only guy who impressed me.And it is hard to impress when your team is lethargic from the get go. Seriously the guy cant do it all on his own despite his lofty draft status. I'd take him in a heartbeat on any teaam I coached. He was solid on the PK and in his own zone.
You want offense from him? Talk to the forwards who showed nothing. He cant win the game by himself (especialy when he is an obvious bust).

I agree with this. Even the most talented individuals look average much of the time on an ordinary team, and that description certainly fits Michigan State.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
i'm not really saying he sucked or anything, he just didn't really do anything special IMO. He was a guy i really liked going into the draft and he seems to have stumbled quite a bit this year, i was hoping i'd see something from him but didn't really see anything to distinguish him from michigans other defensemen

I watched that game as well, and Thelen didn't stand out, but didn't look awful either, just very average, kind of like the Spartan team as a whole. They were certainly outclassed by Minnesota, that's for sure. One D-man that appeared in the game that might have a chance to make the U.S. WJC team is Nate Hagemo. He looked great.

that's about how i saw it

stardog

Been on HF so long my Myspace link is part of my p
Oct 31, 2003
www.myspace.com
Levitate said:
i'm not really saying he sucked or anything, he just didn't really do anything special IMO. He was a guy i really liked going into the draft and he seems to have stumbled quite a bit this year, i was hoping i'd see something from him but didn't really see anything to distinguish him from michigans other defensemen

that's about how i saw it
See thats just it. I saw him certainly distinguish himself from the rest of the lethargic MSU "D" in a big way. He may not have been noticed much but for a defensive defensman isnt that a good thing? Plus he seemed to be the only guy who played positionaly well and with a consistent passion. Despite the score I came away thoroughly impressed with Thelen while disgusted with most of his team which says something in itself in the drubbing they took. Plus that was only 1 game and he has impressed me along the same lines (and for the same reasons) in each of those games this season.
Give him a bit of time to grow into his team and watch him carefully if you havent yet and you may see the things (the little things) which I am talking about that have impressed me.

Hab Fan

Nov 2, 2004
cagney said:
Hobart Hig... I mean db23... wait... hab fan is a big u of michigan fan so I'm not surprised to see he's down on Thelen (and Suter?).
I am NOT a UM fan, just a fan of a couple of their kids. I am very high on Suter and not impressed with Thelen at all. I tend to watch kids at a young age and enjoy their development. Many get accilades because of size, but real players have to be able to see the ice etc. I was a big fan of Scotty Bowmans. Remember when his team destroyed Philly in 4 straight? Philly was so big and going to crush and intimidate Detroit. Scotty countered with skill, kept Vlady away from the big line and won easily. I am just a fan with a lot of friends in the business, scouts, GM's etc. And I don't mean to dish on kids, just try to call it as I see/hear it.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
A guy that won't factor into this year's squad, but one to look for next year and beyond is Mike (Michael) Sauer from the Portland Winterhawks.

Postman

Feb 27, 2002
Rabid Ranger said:
A guy that won't factor into this year's squad, but one to look for next year and beyond is Mike (Michael) Sauer from the Portland Winterhawks.
Yep, he's suppose to be real solid.

In other (bad) news, apparently there are reports Dan Fritsche re-hurt his shoulder this weekend playing in Sarnia.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Postman said:
Yep, he's suppose to be real solid.

In other (bad) news, apparently there are reports Dan Fritsche re-hurt his shoulder this weekend playing in Sarnia.

That's not good news. I hope he's okay. It would be a shame if a promising career is derailed because of constant trouble with his shoulders, which has been a key concern.

Postman

Feb 27, 2002
Rabid Ranger said:
That's not good news. I hope he's okay. It would be a shame if a promising career is derailed because of constant trouble with his shoulders. which has been a key concern.
Yeah, Danny is one of my favorite prospects. I would hate to see it affect his career long-term, like it appears to be doing thus far.

Shame.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Postman said:
Yeah, Danny is one of my favorite prospects. I would hate to see it affect his career long-term, like it appears to be doing thus far.

Shame.

I noticed on the Jackets board that there is some question as to the nature/severity of the injury, as he didn't indicate something was amiss in an interview, so hopefully he's okay.

goteam

Dec 16, 2002
Saskatchewan
Visit site
There was an article I read in a local newspaper that a player from the Saskatoon Blades (WHL) could sneak onto the US roster and that's forward Aaron Bader. I haven't been able to go to any Blades' games yet this year so I can't make any comment on him, but from what I've heard he's a very talented player who got into some trouble earlier in his career and was sidetracked for a few years and finally has his life back on track.

http://www.whl.ca/stats/player.php?id=22754

Postman

Feb 27, 2002
Rabid Ranger said:
I noticed on the Jackets board that there is some question as to the nature/severity of the injury, as he didn't indicate something was amiss in an interview, so hopefully he's okay.
Yeah, I heard the interview, but according to the poster who watched the game, it's still something to worry about. We'll just have to wait and see if it truly is a shoulder injury, and if it's serious.

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
Senor Rational said:
THe chances of Zach Fiztergerald playing for USA? Hes a big mean nasty defensemen in the CHL.
Good call. USA will need a guy like him deal with the powerforwards. I bet he skates better than Nickerson.

Postman

Feb 27, 2002
Senor Rational said:
Hes use to playing against gritty WHL forwards, was he even invited to camp?
No, and I think he has very little chance of making the team.

FREE DENTAL CARE

Mar 20, 2004
Lavallee

LaVallee is the "Rodney Dangerfield" -- can't get no respect -- of the CHL. He is putting up solid numbers (20-16-36, with +15), is tough as nails (played two times last season with a broken foot and never missed a game), and fits with any combination of C/RW that Quebec has put him with. His visibility been hurt (especially the case last year, but this year as well) by fact that there are games where he gets only 10-15 minutes of ice time. He in the top 10 in the "Q" in goals (20), scoring (36 pts), =/- (+15), shots (108), and hits (81). Good team guy. Would help the USA as role player.

orangeandblack

Nov 27, 2004
philadelphia
are montoya and schneider set in stone in goal, or do you guys think gerald coleman will get a look? last i checked hes having a real good season.

MePutPuckInNet

Jan 1, 2004
Toronto
Visit site
orange,

Montoya's got it locked up...but I think Coleman could overtake Schneider, or will at least be a serious contender for the #2. If nothing else, I think Coleman would at least be at the top of their alternate list. just my opinion, of course.

orangeandblack

Nov 27, 2004
philadelphia
i know montoya will absolutely be the number one, theres no reason he shouldnt. but just as a precaution, considering what happened last year, i was wondering if they were set to give the back up roll to schneider, bc i think coleman might be a better candidate considering hes having a great year playing on a great london team.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
orangeandblack said:
i know montoya will absolutely be the number one, theres no reason he shouldnt. but just as a precaution, considering what happened last year, i was wondering if they were set to give the back up roll to schneider, bc i think coleman might be a better candidate considering hes having a great year playing on a great london team.

I'd be inclined to give the back-up spot to Coleman or Mike Brown (of the Saginaw Spirit), but the management team might want to give that job to Schneider to give hims some experience for next year.

flip588

Mar 22, 2004
Do you guys know if Bobby Ryan officially won't be named? I know he hasn't got an invite to anything, but is there still a chance? If not you'll be missing out on an amazing player. I would consider him a lock for next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad