team usa can only blame team usa

Status
Not open for further replies.

Puckhead

Jun 13, 2004
Behind you!!!
beerpaul said:
:) I think that article is very accurate. I watched team USA's first game, a thrilling 5-4 win over Russia, and saw what I expected from the Americans. High intensity, good speed and skill...all played at a very high pace. From that game on the Americans got worse. I know Montoya's poor play took the air out of some of his teammates, but a coach is supposed to keep the team's spirit and intensity up. The team should feel like a team(pull for one another). In a Patrick O'Sulllivan interview, he was asked why this team isn't attaining the success of last years team? I thought it was ominous that he said the chemistry is different on this team. It's appears a combination of bad selecting(especially the defence...and coach(s)) and erratic goaltending were the roots of the US's downfall. They couldn't have beat Canada but they could have got a silver if they played to their potential.
I agree with most of what you say, however, you mentioned that Montoya's poor play took the air out of some of his teammates, and that was obvious. But if you recall last year, as good as the US team was with the likes of Stuart and Parise who were obviously missed this year, the US would not have done squat, if not for Montoya. That really is the situation the US is in now. They took the world by storm last year, and I even remember them being favoured going into the WJC, but if not for Montoya, they would not have won. This year, I don't think anyone really thought they would repeat, but Montoya made sure they wouldn't.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Puckhead said:
The point is it is still located in the US and therefore should have been home ice. You can't discount the advantage, just because the home team was horrible!

I discount it because the "home team" (including Canada) rarely has won on home ice. It's not a significant factor IMO.

Macman

May 15, 2004
Rabid Ranger said:
I discount it because the "home team" (including Canada) rarely has won on home ice. It's not a significant factor IMO.

Exactly. The home team has won the world juniors four times in its history.

Puckhead

Jun 13, 2004
Behind you!!!
Rabid Ranger said:
That's true, but this year Canada had a team that will be talked about for years and years, so it may not have meant as much to have home ice. However, if the success of this tournament was to be measured solely on the attendance of Americans, it would have been a colossal failure. If not for the close proximity to Canada, and the hockey hotbed of Winnipeg, this tourney could have been held in Hawaii and nobody would have been the wiser.

When people start threads about why should Canada host the WJC so often, I have to wonder why they care. You have a 10 day tourney in which the junior hockey world is showcased and you can barely draw flies anywhere but Canada, so if you were Rene Fassel, president of the IIHF, what would you do?

beerpaul*

:dunno: I don't quite understand your point. Montoya was a shadow of the player he was last year. Remember, last WJT in 2004, Montoya was doing everything he could to enhance his draft position. Going into this tournament, he is now drafted, and since his NHL draft his play has gradually become worse. It looks like he worked very hard to be the best he could going into the draft...and once drafted felt like the hard work paid off and he could ease off on his work habits. The same thing, I believe happened to the second highest ranked goalie in last year's draft...David Shantz. Great entering draft...awful since draft.
Puckhead said:
I agree with most of what you say, however, you mentioned that Montoya's poor play took the air out of some of his teammates, and that was obvious. But if you recall last year, as good as the US team was with the likes of Stuart and Parise who were obviously missed this year, the US would not have done squat, if not for Montoya. That really is the situation the US is in now. They took the world by storm last year, and I even remember them being favoured going into the WJC, but if not for Montoya, they would not have won. This year, I don't think anyone really thought they would repeat, but Montoya made sure they wouldn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad