team usa can only blame team usa

Status
Not open for further replies.

neg marron

Mar 1, 2002
gatineau quebec
www.rds.ca
they should have had stronger, better defenseman overall and how do you leave out gerald coleman he's the #1 goalie in the ohl was he even invited to camp he should of at least been a backup to montoya and how do you leave off robbie earl he could have been on a great line with kessel and danny fritsche but there's always next year perhaps team usa took the other teams for granted i wanted to see a rematch of last year's final

btw where's next year's wjc being held :hockey: :cheers: :habs

orangeandblack

Nov 27, 2004
philadelphia
those are 2 players that i felt should have been on the team also, but more glaringly the defense should have chosen different players. there were some glaring ommissions on defense that would have greatly helped.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
orangeandblack said:
those are 2 players that i felt should have been on the team also, but more glaringly the defense should have chosen different players. there were some glaring ommissions on defense that would have greatly helped.

the forwards were fine. robbie earl could be there next year, but i had no problem with him being left off this year.

Gerald Coleman...bad tourney for Montoya or not...that's pretty ridiculous. You're talking about someone who will probably never even be an NHL starter. Don't let Schneider's bad game fool you, either. Both are on a different level than Coleman, and this is from someone who has long been a fan of the kid.

Spectacular_Bid

Mar 22, 2004
Robbie Earl is an 85' birthdate and is not eligible to play next year. The rumor around the tournament was that the U.S. coaches asked Mike Eaves (Earl's coach at Wisconsin) if they should take Earl. Eaves said no and therefore no Earl on the team.

leafaholix*

Team USA didn't underachieve.

Alvaro Montoya underachieved... the defense looked brutal going into the tournament.

Reilly311

lol, Montoya for the most part had a fine tournament, I don't know how anyone can expect any goalie to see 40+ shots a game and expect to win and play outstanding every night.

leafaholix*

Reilly311 said:
lol, Montoya for the most part had a fine tournament, I don't know how anyone can expect any goalie to see 40+ shots a game and expect to win and play outstanding every night.
lol is right.

Til the End of Time

May 18, 2003
Santa Monica, CA
Visit site
Reilly311 said:

I don't see how anyone can claim Montoya had a "fine" tournament. He struggled, it's as simple as that.

And the tournament next year is in Vancouver, I think.

orangeandblack

Nov 27, 2004
philadelphia
he was hung out to dry on alot of goals, i couldnt believe how bad some of the defensemen looked. i dont know how hunwick and likens could have made the team last year as 18 yr olds, let alone this year. i thought montoya balance looked bad tho. i saw him fall or "lose his footing" several times, and it seems like once hes down it takes him longer then most goalies to get back up. anyway montoya has had better games just like fleury has, but think the defense was more responsible then he was.

Captain Conservative

Apr 1, 2004
My Blue Heaven
neg marron said:
they should have had stronger, better defenseman overall and how do you leave out gerald coleman he's the #1 goalie in the ohl was he even invited to camp he should of at least been a backup to montoya and how do you leave off robbie earl he could have been on a great line with kessel and danny fritsche but there's always next year perhaps team usa took the other teams for granted i wanted to see a rematch of last year's final

btw where's next year's wjc being held :hockey: :cheers: :habs

What is this, an intervention for team USA? "The first step to not having a ****** team is admitting you have a problem" So what if Gerard Coleman is leading the OHL in sv %? He's an over-ager and the only reason you mentioned him is because he's not white. I am getting so sick and tired of your constant over-rating of players just because they're black.

The 2006 WJCs are being held in Vancouver by the way.

leafaholix*

orangeandblack said:
he was hung out to dry on alot of goals, i couldnt believe how bad some of the defensemen looked. i dont know how hunwick and likens could have made the team last year as 18 yr olds, let alone this year. i thought montoya balance looked bad tho. i saw him fall or "lose his footing" several times, and it seems like once hes down it takes him longer then most goalies to get back up. anyway montoya has had better games just like fleury has, but think the defense was more responsible then he was.
Did you see some of the goals that were going in?

Yes, some of the goals were defensive problems, but some of the goals that were going in were laughable. A goalie the calibre of Montoya should be making big plays... hell, the Vrana OT goal should've been stopped. The puck barely rolled in.

London Knights

Jun 1, 2004
Hung out to dry at times, definately, but the makings of a good goalie are that you pick it up then. You make those big saves even if you aren't playing great. Team USA came into the tournament with the pretty much unanimous favourite in net, and Montoya was anything but the best goaltender in the tournament.

Does it mean that he will be nothing in the NHL, no, but to defend him and blame everything on the defense is just as naive.

jacklours

Mar 5, 2003
Magog
Carl O'Steen said:
Team USA didn't underachieve.

Alvaro Montoya underachieved... the defense looked brutal going into the tournament.

In my mind that's where many people get it wrong. He underachieved last year. Plain and simple. He's still a good goalie, however he'll never be as good as the Americans wish he'll be.

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
jacklours said:
In my mind that's where many people get it wrong. He underachieved last year. Plain and simple. He's still a good goalie, however he'll never be as good as the Americans wish he'll be.

surely you mean over-achieved?

em1ss

Dec 27, 2004
PA, USA
Team USA has to rethink the selection process. There is some insight provided in EJ Hradek. Interestingly enough it does seem to support a black balled player stance by USA hockey due to personality conflicts between players and staff.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/columns/story?id=1959790

best line:
Team USA's blue line, with the notable exception of three-year WJC standout and Nashville Predators prospect Ryan Suter, was so inept that one scout remarked, "the game plan should be to keep the puck away from those guys."

Last edited:

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
em1ss said:
Team USA has to rethink the selection process. There is some insight provided in EJ Hradek. Interestingly enough it does seem to support a black balled player stance by USA hockey due to personality conflicts between players and staff.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/columns/story?id=1959790

best line:
Team USA's blue line, with the notable exception of three-year WJC standout and Nashville Predators prospect Ryan Suter, was so inept that one scout remarked, "the game plan should be to keep the puck away from those guys."

That's an excellent article. I knew there were some problems behind the scenes, but didn't realize it was that bad. I look for some significant changes next year, and it's worthy to note that Art Berglund is going into semi-retirement, so that might cause a few dominoes to drop into place as it concerns the leadership of USA Hockey. They need to get the politics out of the selection process, and get the right coaching year in and year out.

Last edited:

em1ss

Dec 27, 2004
PA, USA
I thought it was a good article too Ranger. I had heard many of the grumblings regarding USA hockey, some from actual players but this tends to give credance to problems. I also think its hard to dispute the lack of depth on defense or the poor play. I only wish I could have seen more games here in the states than just the ESPN coverage.

Sammy*

Captain Conservative said:
What is this, an intervention for team USA? "The first step to not having a ****** team is admitting you have a problem" So what if Gerard Coleman is leading the OHL in sv %? He's an over-ager and the only reason you mentioned him is because he's not white. I am getting so sick and tired of your constant over-rating of players just because they're black.

The 2006 WJCs are being held in Vancouver by the way.
You mean Gerald Colemen is not white & Mr. Marron feels it was an outrage that he wasnt on the team. Imagine that.
Let me ask a real question & I am quite sincere as I do not know. Is Robbie Earl a white guy? My guess is no.

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
Rabid Ranger said:
That's an excellent article. I knew there were some problems behind the scene, but didn't realize it was that bad. I look for some significant changes next year, and it's worthy to note that Art Berglund is going into semi-retirement, so that might cause a few dominoes to drop into place as it concerns the leadership of USA Hockey. They need to get the politics out of the selection process, and get the right coaching year in and year out.

Behind the scene problems suck big time. Team Finland experienced that during the WCH2004 :(
BTW: Defenceman Janne Niinimaa is back in the national team, after coach Summanen got fired. (in case someone is interested)

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
em1ss said:
I thought it was a good article too Ranger. I had heard many of the grumblings regarding USA hockey, some from actual players but this tends to give credance to problems. I also think its hard to dispute the lack of depth on defense or the poor play. I only wish I could have seen more games here in the states than just the ESPN coverage.

What makes all of this hard to swallow is we had the right pieces on defense to add to this team. IMO, if those pieces were in place instead of a few of the guys already there we would medaled, even with Montoya's inconsistent play. It also doesn't help that Sandelin appears to have been a mere puppet.

em1ss

Dec 27, 2004
PA, USA
Couldn't agree more. Kinda explains his whole look on the bench during the tournament too. Like he was just there, treading water, no emotion etc. I figured there was some grand plan with the defensive selections, with puck movement, speed overcoming bulk, but it appears there was none.

Was thinking maybe they can get a real coach into the system. Say a Kevin Contantine, he's dedicated and believes in system hockey. Very discipline type coach and better with youth than pros.

I have no idea how these guys are compensated and it would be one heck of a comittment. I don't see any college level coaches leaving to do this. Maybe they can select an American player to play judge advocate on the selection process too, much like Gretzky did for the Olympics etc. Would be a start.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
em1ss said:
Couldn't agree more. Kinda explains his whole look on the bench during the tournament too. Like he was just there, treading water, no emotion etc. I figured there was some grand plan with the defensive selections, with puck movement, speed overcoming bulk, but it appears there was none.

Was thinking maybe they can get a real coach into the system. Say a Kevin Contantine, he's dedicated and believes in system hockey. Very discipline type coach and better with youth than pros.

I have no idea how these guys are compensated and it would be one heck of a comittment. I don't see any college level coaches leaving to do this. Maybe they can select an American player to play judge advocate on the selection process too, much like Gretzky did for the Olympics etc. Would be a start.

Constantine is still affiliated with the Silvertips isn't he? If we could get a guy like him, you'd have a nice bridge between the CHL and NCAA. Shoot, we might even get some WHL representation!

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
Rabid Ranger said:
Constantine is still affiliated with the Silvertips isn't he? If we could get a guy like him, you'd have a nice bridge between the CHL and NCAA. Shoot, we might even get some WHL representation!

They can't tell me that Dustin Byugflien wouldn't have been a HUGE improvement on Hunwick or Likens.

em1ss

Dec 27, 2004
PA, USA
Rabid Ranger said:
Not sure what hes doing now. Was coaching a USHL team for awhile. He was good with kids though and would be a fit I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad