To me, I think sure bets are:

Carlson
Jones
Werenski
Slavin
McAvoy
Fox
McDonagh

That only leaves one more spot (if they go with eight d-men). Do they go with a wildcard like Hughes or someone more steady like Petry, Pesce, or even Ryan Suter (who I think is still in play)? Will be interesting to see.
I'd have a hard time taking Carlson - his defensive play leaves a lot to be desired.

Fox
Jones
McAvoy

Are the teams top RD. I'd add Pesce as the 4th as he's a dependable defender.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I'd have a hard time taking Carlson - his defensive play leaves a lot to be desired.

Fox
Jones
McAvoy

Are the teams top RD. I'd add Pesce as the 4th as he's a dependable defender.

It doesn't matter. He finished 2nd in Norris voting two seasons ago and continues to be one of the best point producers among defensemen/transition/PP players in the league. Pair him Slavin and forget about it.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
It doesn't matter. He finished 2nd in Norris voting two seasons ago and continues to be one of the best point producers among defensemen/transition/PP players in the league. Pair him Slavin and forget about it.

It doesn't matter that the guy can't play defense?

We'll have plenty of good puck movers on the backend, so there's no need to compromise.

Reactions: MNRube

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
Fox & McAvoy have to be the top 2 RHDs. Id prefer that Pesce or Petry takes the final spot over Carlson or Jones but I am 99% sure that will not happen.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
the big ice with international refree is more softer hockey than small rinks with NA refree. So you dont need that much of grit to succed in Olympics. The most important thing on big rinks is speed.

DeBrincat - Matthews - Kane
Gaudreau - Eichel - Boeser
Connor - Guentzel - J.Robertson
Carland - Trochek - Oshie
M.Tkachuk, Pavelski (pp)

Werenski - Fox
Hughes - S.Jones
McAvoy - Carlson
Slavin

Hellebuyck
Gibson
Demko

I don't see Garland making it over Guentzel. Over the last three seasons Guentzel is 5th in goal scoring and 5th in PPG amongst American forwards. He's also played way less games than Cat and Conor who are above him in terms of goalscoring.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
It doesn't matter that the guy can't play defense?

We'll have plenty of good puck movers on the backend, so there's no need to compromise.

I edited this as I originally came across as overly snarky. Personally, I think Carlson is fine in his own zone. The Caps employ him in a high risk manner that I think he could reign in as needed. I think he's too valuable to leave off.

Last edited:

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
I don't see Garland making it over Guentzel. Over the last three seasons Guentzel is 5th in goal scoring and 5th in PPG amongst American forwards. He's also played way less games than Cat and Conor who are above him in terms of goalscoring.

i have garland and guentzel on my team

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Of the top names, I think Jones and Werenski are most at risk to be on the outside looking in.

I think people are banking a little too hard on what was an awful season in Columbus for virtually the entire team. I can see guys falling off the team, this became a point of talk at times on the Wings board with Larkin enduring a really tough year. I think it will be really tempting even if Jones and Werenski are in different cities to go back to knowing they have that chemistry as a pairing and you don't have to worry in a short tournament about them clicking and playing well. Yzerman always emphasized this when possible with Team Canada almost as tie-breakers in terms of knowing certain guys fit. For instance knowing that with DeBrincat and Kane is interesting. We will see how it plays out, but I think it would be a mistake to leave those guys. I expect them to bounce back, too good of players in my opinion.

Reactions: Anisimovs AK

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
I think people are banking a little too hard on what was an awful season in Columbus for virtually the entire team. I can see guys falling off the team, this became a point of talk at times on the Wings board with Larkin enduring a really tough year. I think it will be really tempting even if Jones and Werenski are in different cities to go back to knowing they have that chemistry as a pairing and you don't have to worry in a short tournament about them clicking and playing well. Yzerman always emphasized this when possible with Team Canada almost as tie-breakers in terms of knowing certain guys fit. For instance knowing that with DeBrincat and Kane is interesting. We will see how it plays out, but I think it would be a mistake to leave those guys. I expect them to bounce back, too good of players in my opinion.

With Jones, the issue is that he's been trending down for 2 seasons and this last season pre-Olympics was not good, even granting him the benefit of doubt with the Columbus mess. If that downward trend continues, or he doesn't rebound and show well to start next season, he wouldn't touch my team. Admittedly, he's evaluated by very high standards as he was a top 5 defenseman not too long ago but he needs to be a lot better, especially as McAvoy is so far ahead of him at RHD, Fox has lapped him, and guys like Carlson, Pesce, etc. are all playing better and bring a standout specialty right now that Jones does not. We're going to leave quality, talented players off this roster and Jones could be one of them if he doesn't get it together.

Reactions: Canes

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
It would seem like a bad idea to take Seth Jones over someone like Brett Pesce imo. I know the reputation of the former is strong, but their performances over the last couple of years aren't even close. Fox/McAvoy/Pesce is an amazing RHD lineup, there's no weaknesses there.

Last edited:
Reactions: Canes

Mathieukferland

Oct 11, 2020
Sloane Square, Chelsea, England
What is a full list of USA’s depth chart of defenceman?

Carlson, Jones, McAvoy, Fox

Werenski, Hughes, Slavin,

who else? (Please be realistic)
I watched Quinn Hughes all year, when they play a top 5 team he will be severely lacking defensively, I think a player lake Pionk or McDonagh would be a better alternative to him

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Here's my current team:

Goaltenders (x3):

Connor Hellebucyk
John Gibson
Spencer Knight

Defensemen (x8):

Charlie McAvoy/John Carlson
Ryan McDonagh/Adam Fox
Zach Werenski/Seth Jones
Jaccob Slavin/Brett Pesce

Forwards (x14):

Alex DeBrincat-Jack Eichel-Patrick Kane
Kyle Connor-Auston Matthews-Blake Wheeler
Max Pacioretty-Trevor Zegras-Brock Boeser
Jake Guentzel-Brock Nelson-Connor Garland

Extras: Johnny Gaudreau/Joe Pavelski

I know there are some "controversial" picks here but I'm trying to think outside of the box when it comes to certain players that are a good fit for certain roles and that would rise to the occasion.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Here's my current team:

Goaltenders (x3):

Connor Hellebucyk
John Gibson
Spencer Knight

Defensemen (x8):

Charlie McAvoy/John Carlson
Ryan McDonagh/Adam Fox
Zach Werenski/Seth Jones
Jaccob Slavin/Brett Pesce

Forwards (x14):

Alex DeBrincat-Jack Eichel-Patrick Kane
Kyle Connor-Auston Matthews-Blake Wheeler
Max Pacioretty-Trevor Zegras-Brock Boeser
Jake Guentzel-Brock Nelson-Connor Garland

Extras: Johnny Gaudreau/Joe Pavelski

I know there are some "controversial" picks here but I'm trying to think outside of the box when it comes to certain players that are a good fit for certain roles and that would rise to the occasion.
It's a solid lineup, indeed. A nice mix of youth and (point creating) experience.

The big concern is Eichel's health. If Eichel doesn't bounce back, do you bump Matthews to the top line with Kane and ADB?

danj7

Dec 17, 2017
Awesome lineup ~ only change for me is I need Dylan Larkin as my 3C, keep & move Zegras to wing or as an extra forward. Larkin is too versatile & has always answered the bell for team USA, just on a struggling team. Plus he plays the PK & is very good defensively with the speed to keep up with other teams top C’s.

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
As a Canadian, pretty intimidating to see the D group and goaltenders the US will be bringing. You could win every game of the tournament 1-0 if your coach decided to play that style, even against Canada

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
With Jones, the issue is that he's been trending down for 2 seasons and this last season pre-Olympics was not good, even granting him the benefit of doubt with the Columbus mess. If that downward trend continues, or he doesn't rebound and show well to start next season, he wouldn't touch my team. Admittedly, he's evaluated by very high standards as he was a top 5 defenseman not too long ago but he needs to be a lot better, especially as McAvoy is so far ahead of him at RHD, Fox has lapped him, and guys like Carlson, Pesce, etc. are all playing better and bring a standout specialty right now that Jones does not. We're going to leave quality, talented players off this roster and Jones could be one of them if he doesn't get it together.

My comment on this (from an outsiders perspective), is that he has like 2.5 months of hockey to be what he is.

I also think to some degree you always take the most talented player, all things being equal. Seth Jones is that elite guy, in a stronger system, better players, high morale (I’m sure US will consider themselves Gold Medal faves, as they should), different coach.

But, you guys know your players, I just wanted to contribute a little!

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Gaudreau-Matthews-Guentzel
Pacioretty-Eichel-Kane
Connor-Larkin-Wheeler
Tkachuk-Pavelski-Tkachuk
Trocheck-Miller

Slavin-McAvoy
McDonagh-Fox
Werenski-Jones
Pesce-Carlson

Hellebuyck
Gibson
Bishop

I think we should try to bring a lot of centers or guys who can play the position. When you get past the first 4-5 forwards, the rest of the options are very good but not superstars. We may as well add some elements to the team we may need, given it’s close on the ability of the next 25 forwards. I want centers, players with some grit, players that win face offs, and players that are good at the net. Defense isn’t that hard to pick. I could see one of the younger goalies making it, but if I was guessing, I’d say it’s more likely that Bishop bounces back. If he’s healthy, he’ll probably be on the team.

Last edited:

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Gaudreau-Matthews-Guentzel
Pacioretty-Eichel-Kane
Connor-Larkin-Wheeler
Tkachuk-Pavelski-Tkachuk
Trocheck-Miller
It's a nice mix. Plus 3 of the 4 lines have an "old timer" to provide experience and some points.

As always, Eichel is a wild card with his neck - see below.

Last edited:

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
* The quotes in Red are mine and added for dramatic effect. *

The Eichel situation is both sad and interesting. From what I read, and I've followed it pretty closely...

* Jack neck is bad. At first, they worried he might not play again.

* Sabres told Jack to rehab and he followed their advice.

* Eichel's neck did not get better after ~5 months (he still couldn't lift his arms over his head) but the Sabres said to :

Stay The Course = Time + Physical Therapy

* Eichel got his own doctor. His doctor, like all doctors, wants to operate. In fact, he wants to try something "experimental" for an athlete. :eek:

* Eichel told the Sabres about the experimental surgery. The Sabres and their doctors asked : "Are you INSANE ?!?!"

* Eichel pushed back because he's worried he won't get better without surgery.

* The Sabres told Jack NOT to mess with his neck because he won't be 24 forever and you should NOT let anyone cut your back/neck open - let alone try something new.

* Eichel said, "Screw you, I want out of Buffalo!"

* Eichel still wants surgery. The Sabres still think it's a bad idea - as do I.

* Sabres have tried but can't get any quality offers because Eichel's health/future is iffy.

Sabres' stance on Eichel getting surgery hasn't changed (audacy.com)

Last edited:

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
It's a nice mix. Plus 3 of the 4 lines have an "old timer" to provide experience and some points.

As always, Eichel is a wild card with his neck - see below.

If USA tried to go best pure offensive forwards against best pure offensive forwards, they lose to Canada. That’s why a good mix of everything makes more sense. Loading up the team with deBrincat, Boeser, Robertson types doesn’t really make sense when you can add very good scorers who can also do some of the things that can win a team a game in a short tournament against a team that will put out a more talented forward lineup, regardless of who the two teams pick for the final spots on their rosters.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->