Olympics: Team USA 2022

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Capuano to me was not that impressive in Worlds .- but thats just my opinion
He made some smart choices and made some others not so smart..but overall he did more with far less than we have had here past 5 years.

Likeable guy who got the boys up to play and win bronze, not easy to do..Reward those guys IMO with an asst role..no harm there at all.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
And if it wasn't stated before- Garland came as a RFA to play...very few players do that...that is the kind of player you roll with if he is close for a roster spot come Feb. Answers the call immediately, came as a RFA and will play with his heart and soul to win Gold because it actually matters to him.

I originally chuckled a bit at the thought of him making this squad...chuckling no more!

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Garland was already a guy worthy of consideration for the Olympic squad, but he was in the mix with a deep group of forwards. I feel like I've been one of the few to plug his chances here previously but even then I thought they were low. But his eagerness to show up to the WC without a contract even though he's likely headed for a big payday speaks volumes about his commitment. And then he backed it up with a dominant offensive performance. I really hope USAH takes that into consideration when it comes to the Olympics.

Petersen was excellent and he's separated himself from the rest of the goalies who aren't locks for an Olympic roster spot. Hellebuyck is the only true lock right now and in my opinion Petersen is on the team barring a collapse in his game or some monumental performances from his competition.

I don't think any other players from the WC team will really be under real consideration for the Olympic squad, but I'd be happy to see Capuano and Leaman get heavy consideration as assistant coaches.

Last edited:
Reactions: AmericanDream

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Garland was a already guy worthy of consideration for the Olympic squad, but he was in the mix with a deep group of forwards. I feel like I've been one of the few to plug his chances here previously but even then I thought they were low. But his eagerness to show up to the WC on a contract year even though he's likely headed for a big payday speaks volumes about his commitment. And then he backed it up with a dominant offensive performance. I really hope USAH takes that into consideration when it comes to the Olympics.

Petersen was excellent and he's separated himself from the rest of the goalies who aren't locks for an Olympic roster spot. Hellebuyck is the only true lock right now and in my opinion Petersen is on the team barring a collapse in his game or some monumental performances from his competition.

I don't think any other players from the WC team will really be under real consideration for the Olympic squad, but I'd be happy to see Capuano and Leaman get heavy consideration as assistant coaches.
We might actually be the smurfs on ice come Feb..:laugh:

Kane, Debrincat, Gaudreau and Garland??? Oh my....lol...talented and fun to watch for sure though..

Garland has elevated his name on that list and rightfully so. If he can back it up after getting paid this fall will be his true test, though from watching him play I don't see him as a player who will take anything for granted with how hard he had to fight in junior and beyond to get where he is.

I remember being very vocal when Garland was left off team USA for the WJC back in 15' I believe...he should have made that squad he was leading the Q in scoring but like some he could still be holding a grudge over that and said no thanks to play this year like others have. Shows his true character and passion to play for his country to just move forward and prove he belongs here. I believe Labanc had a nice snub as well years back so good for him as well for showing up.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
We might actually be the smurfs on ice come Feb..:laugh:

Kane, Debrincat, Gaudreau and Garland??? Oh my....lol...talented and fun to watch for sure though..

Garland has elevated his name on that list and rightfully so. If he can back it up after getting paid this fall will be his true test, though from watching him play I don't see him as a player who will take anything for granted with how hard he had to fight in junior and beyond to get where he is.

I remember being very vocal when Garland was left off team USA for the WJC back in 15' I believe...he should have made that squad he was leading the Q in scoring but like some he could still be holding a grudge over that and said no thanks to play this year like others have. Shows his true character and passion to play for his country to just move forward and prove he belongs here. I believe Labanc had a nice snub as well years back so good for him as well for showing up.

I think Gaudreau is on the outside looking in right now, although he's certainly a top contender. The other thing to consider is the extra roster spots at the Olympics. We can afford to take more small, highly skilled guys than normal since we don't have to play them all.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I think Gaudreau is on the outside looking in right now, although he's certainly a top contender. The other thing to consider is the extra roster spots at the Olympics. We can afford to take more small, highly skilled guys than normal since we don't have to play them all.
How many spots is it in total, 25 man roster?

I seem to be taking some heat with my thoughts on Gaudreau as well..I see him as a 13th forward but apparently I am not seeing the same player as another poster. Not the first time I guess lol.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
How many spots is it in total, 25 man roster?

I seem to be taking some heat with my thoughts on Gaudreau as well..I see him as a 13th forward but apparently I am not seeing the same player as another poster. Not the first time I guess lol.

Yep, 25. The thing about Gaudreau is right now we don't have to take a one dimensional forward because we don't lack other options. In most of our history he'd be a lock but not right now. The fact that he's had 2 down years in a row (admittedly based on his high standards) doesn't help either.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Yep, 25. The thing about Gaudreau is right now we don't have to take a one dimensional forward because we don't lack other options. In most of our history he'd be a lock but not right now. The fact that he's had 2 down years in a row (admittedly based on his high standards) doesn't help either.
25 is going to be nice.

3G
8D
14F

I would imagine we bring 8 D and not 15 forwards..definitely room for a few skilled players to specifically play that role.

I am in 100% agreement with Gaudreau, tough group to crack next year...hope he brings his A game to start the season out. He has answered the call multiple times to play in the WC, so I want to reward his loyalty...but he has to step things up a bit too.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Congrats to my Tage!!!

FB_IMG_1623040472745.jpg

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
While we don't lack for skilled forwards (in particular on the wing) I wouldn't say the U.S. is exceptionally blessed with strong two-way forwards. That is not as much of a consideration with the type of defense/goaltending we'll be able to ice but it might influence some of the choices. For instance, how many Gaudreau types can you really have before it becomes a detriment to the team? Or, maybe they do go with a Garland type to fill that kind of role as he provides a similar skill-set but with a ton more grit? I think we may be surprised with the eventual composition of the team.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
While we don't lack for skilled forwards (in particular on the wing) I wouldn't say the U.S. is exceptionally blessed with strong two-way forwards. That is not as much of a consideration with the type of defense/goaltending we'll be able to ice but it might influence some of the choices. For instance, how many Gaudreau types can you really have before it becomes a detriment to the team? Or, maybe they do go with a Garland type to fill that kind of role as he provides a similar skill-set but with a ton more grit? I think we may be surprised with the eventual composition of the team.

the big ice with international refree is more softer hockey than small rinks with NA refree. So you dont need that much of grit to succed in Olympics. The most important thing on big rinks is speed.

DeBrincat - Matthews - Kane
Gaudreau - Eichel - Boeser
Connor - Guentzel - J.Robertson
Carland - Trochek - Oshie
M.Tkachuk, Pavelski (pp)

Werenski - Fox
Hughes - S.Jones
McAvoy - Carlson
Slavin

Hellebuyck
Gibson
Demko

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
the big ice with international refree is more softer hockey than small rinks with NA refree. So you dont need that much of grit to succed in Olympics. The most important thing on big rinks is speed.

M.Tkachuk, Pavelski (pp)

Werenski - Fox
Hughes - S.Jones
McAvoy - Carlson
Slavin

Hellebuyck
Gibson
Demko

The team could very well look something like that but I find it interesting that you prioritize skating and have guys like Boeser, Robertson, Oshie, and Pavelski on the team who are not the greatest skaters, A lot of the names track though.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
The team could very well look something like that but I find it interesting that you prioritize skating and have guys like Boeser, Robertson, Oshie, and Pavelski on the team who are not the greatest skaters, A lot of the names track though.

they are ok at skating.

pavelski only pp time

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado

M.Tkachuk, Pavelski (pp)

Werenski - Fox
Hughes - S.Jones
McAvoy - Carlson
Slavin

Hellebuyck
Gibson
Demko

I doubt the Olympics will be on anything but NHL dimensions if the NHL agrees to participate.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I wonder if Pacioretty will get consideration? He's been a very good scorer for Vegas and has stepped up in the playoffs. Not a banger of course but a really good two way player.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
I wonder if Pacioretty will get consideration? He's been a very good scorer for Vegas and has stepped up in the playoffs. Not a banger of course but a really good two way player.
It' going to be hard for Team USA to turn the page on their older players when they continue to perform at such a high level. As I said before, if you go young, and I understand the temptation, you're leaving a ton of points on/off the table.

With Team Canada, we had a bunch of players (almost 3 lines of forwards) who dropped off (some like a stone) since 2016...

* Couture,
* Duchene,
* Getzlaf,
* Perry,
* Toews,
* Tavares,
* Thornton,
* Seguin

so we have no choice but to replace them.

Add 6 (of 8) on the back end, plus 2 goalies, and we'll practically redo the entire team. That's a lot of experience we've lost.

Last edited:

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Gaudreau just finished leading his team in goals and points, and did so while carrying a boat anchor at center for 40 games AND while playing the back half of the season under Darryl Sutter.

He scored at a 100 point pace away from Monahan. It would be monumentally stupid to leave a player like that out of the top 6.

gotyournose

Oct 24, 2019
What is a full list of USA’s depth chart of defenceman?

Carlson, Jones, McAvoy, Fox

Werenski, Hughes, Slavin,

who else? (Please be realistic)

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
What is a full list of USA’s depth chart of defenceman?

Carlson, Jones, McAvoy, Fox

Werenski, Hughes, Slavin,

who else? (Please be realistic)

To me, I think sure bets are:

Carlson
Jones
Werenski
Slavin
McAvoy
Fox
McDonagh

That only leaves one more spot (if they go with eight d-men). Do they go with a wildcard like Hughes or someone more steady like Petry, Pesce, or even Ryan Suter (who I think is still in play)? Will be interesting to see.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad