Olympics: Team USA 2022

SanDogBrewin

Righteous bucks!
Jan 14, 2010
On a tasty wave
twitter.com
I think the roster size is 22 skaters and three goalies. That means they can go with 14 forwards and eight d-men. I think Pavelski will likely make it. He's still very good, can play in all situations and is very good on the PP. There's going to be a lot of debate about a good number of forwards. I don't see too many as pure locks.

Pavelski has certainly made a case for himself. On top of the fact that he performs well when called on.

Reactions: William H Bonney

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I wonder who the favorite for head coach is? Probably Sullivan? The Pens have had another great year. Probably between he and Laviolette. Maybe Hynes on the staff as well.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Like both lines a lot .... who would you have with Eichel ? Kane & Debrincat ?

Or maybe go:
Tkachuk - Matthews - Gaudreau
Guentzel - Eichel - Kane
Tkachuk - Hughes - Debrincat
____ - Larkin - ___
Can't believe Kane will be 33. Where did the time go?

Reactions: therealdeal

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Sweet !
Debrincat - Matthews - Kane
Gaudreau - Eichel - Tkachuk
Tkachuk - Hughes - Guentzel
Connor - Larkin - Rust

... then maybe either Pavelski or Miller as the 13th Forward ... for position versatility, PK and faceoffs.
TBH, I thought the American forwards would be stronger...

1st line is terrific...

* Matthews is great and if the U.S. beats Canada for Gold, it will be because Matthews scored the winning goal.

* Kane is great - the only fear is if he slows at 33.

* Debrincat can score and should remain with Kane.

2nd Line...

* The Tkachuk brothers... ??? Good but not great - I would have thought the U.S. could do better. I could also see them doing something stupid in a big game.

* Eichel is hurt - neck injury. Not sure how that will play out.

3rd Line...

* Hughes : Is he ready in 2022?

* Gaudreau is really small and his annual playoff performance does not give one a lot of confidence.

4th Line...

* Connor is the best of the lot.

* Guentzel : Maybe. I know he has points but...

* Rust - Again, I thought the U.S. could do better.

Defense looks strong.

As a Canadian, I envy your goaltending.

Last edited:

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
U.S. will have a ton of options at forward. You could easily swap in guys like Pacioretty, Wheeler, Gaudreau, Oshie, Boeser, Trocheck, J.T. Miller, etc.

Reactions: therealdeal

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
U.S. will have a ton of options at forward. You could easily swap in guys like Pacioretty, Wheeler, Gaudreau, Oshie, Boeser, Trocheck, J.T. Miller, etc.
I would prefer many of those players to the Tkachuks.

Everyone seems to have more love for the brothers than me.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I would prefer many of those players to the Tkachuk brothers.

Everyone seems to have more love for them than me.

M. Tkachuk has had an up and down year but both brothers are two of the more impactful forwards in the NHL. They both do a lot of the grunt work on their lines while being skilled enough to make things happen offensively. I wouldn't bat an eye if both made it.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
A lot of U.S. forwards have really aged well...

Pacioretty, Wheeler, Kane, Oshie : They haven't lost a step well into their 30's - when most forwards drop off a cliff.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
M. Tkachuk has had an up and down year but both brothers are two of the more impactful forwards in the NHL. They both do a lot of the grunt work on their lines while being skilled enough to make things happen offensively. I wouldn't bat an eye if both made it.
I agree about being impactful but the grunt work is why I'm surprised they'd be on an Olympic team.

JiggsNY

Sep 14, 2016
New York
Someone said on an earlier page in here that Larking really isn't a perfect 3C for this team. I agree, I feel like we've all just been penciling in Matthews, Eichel, Larkin for the last few year, but he really would be more suited to be a 4C, we need a more dynamic 3C to stack up in international tournaments. Not for 2022, but it does seem we have some bright C prospects on the way that we've been missing in Hughes, Zegras, Norris, and eventually Turcotte. Norris specifically i've been very surprised with. And Zegras has looked great at C since his call back up.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I agree about being impactful but the grunt work is why I'm surprised they'd be on an Olympic team.

All I'm saying is that both Tkachuk brothers buy time and space for their line mates while still being able to be counted on to make the skilled players. They are legit. They are not "grunts" in the sense you are implying.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Someone said on an earlier page in here that Larking really isn't a perfect 3C for this team. I agree, I feel like we've all just been penciling in Matthews, Eichel, Larkin for the last few year, but he really would be more suited to be a 4C, we need a more dynamic 3C to stack up in international tournaments. Not for 2022, but it does seem we have some bright C prospects on the way that we've been missing in Hughes, Zegras, Norris, and eventually Turcotte. Norris specifically i've been very surprised with. And Zegras has looked great at C since his call back up.

Yeah, I agree with this. In a best on best tournament Larkin would be great as the #4 center. We need someone with a bit more vision to be in that 3rd spot behind Matthews and Eichel. There are guys like Pavelski and Trocheck, but I'm wondering if we might be better served going with a guy like Jack Hughes, Zegras, or Norris, especially if they continue to progress next season?

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
All I'm saying is that both Tkachuk brothers buy time and space for their line mates while still being able to be counted on to make the skilled players. They are legit. They are not "grunts" in the sense you are implying.
I was not implying they are "grunts".

I'd understand if the U.S. was trying to move to a younger teams with the Tkachuk brothers - more energy and all that. Unfortunately, their production is a step down from the older players you mentioned - Max, Wheeler, etc.

It's a choice.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
If we take Hughes, he should be used as a wing. He can’t win face offs, and he’s not the best defensively. You don’t test it out at a big tournament.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I think if Pavelski and Oshie are healthy and playing at a reasonably high level next season they make the team. Both bring a ton of value beyond just points which will be important on what is likely to be a youngish team.

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
Not talking about Rust specifically, but...

We should be taking zero "defensive role players". Take the best players, period, and fill roles with them.
As a Pens fan I'm not sold on Guentzel or Rust right now. Both are great players and work well with Crosby, but I am not sure they have the talent to get to another level in a best on best. Guentzel still isn't back from his shoulder injury, and Rust is a supercharged grinder. We will see.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
As a Pens fan I'm not sold on Guentzel or Rust right now. Both are great players and work well with Crosby, but I am not sure they have the talent to get to another level in a best on best. Guentzel still isn't back from his shoulder injury, and Rust is a supercharged grinder. We will see.
Does Guentzel fall off much without Sid?

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Does Guentzel fall off much without Sid?

Statistically, no.

I'm not sure why we should be concerned about Guentzel. It's not like he'd be going from Crosby to Trevor Lewis as his center. And given his playoff performances, I don't get the concerns about getting to "another level" either.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Statistically, no.

I'm not sure why we should be concerned about Guentzel. It's not like he'd be going from Crosby to Trevor Lewis as his center. And given his playoff performances, I don't get the concerns about getting to "another level" either.
I'm impressed Trevor Lewis is still playing in the NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad