Olympics: Team USA 2022

JiggsNY

Sep 14, 2016
New York
Didn't see a thread so making one. I feel like this roster is going to be incredibly hard to whittle down. There are so many more options since our last best on best, so many young guys who have broken through, and a good amount of vets still sticking around and producing still (Pavelski, Pacioretty, Wheeler). There's probably 20ish deserving forwards and a lot of tough cuts. I can see arguments for all the guys I listed in my forward lineup. Defense is a little more straight forward, feel like theres an established top 8 guys or so (RD heavy for sure). Two goalies are no brainers.

Bolded are locks to make the team. Rest of the names listed in the lineup are guys who will have good arguments/ deserving to make the team. Longshots are unlikely, but not impossible one of them might end up in discussion. Also dont look into the line combinations, mostly just listing guys without too much thought on order.

M. Tkachuk
- Matthews - Kane
Gaudreau
- Eichel - Boeser
Connor
- Larkin - Guentzel
B. Tkachuk - Hughes - Wheeler
Miller - Trocheck - DeBrincat
Pacioretty - Pavelski - Rust

Longshots: Tuch, Hayes, JVR, Atkinson, Garland, Farabee, Lee, Nelson, Kessel, Oshie, Kreider

Hughes - Carlson
Werenski - Jones
Slavin - McAvoy
Krug - Petry
Suter - Fox

Longshots: Pionk, Marino, Pesce, McDonagh, Yandle, Faulk

Hellebuyck
Gibson

Demko
Bishop

Last edited:

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I think the main question is do you play the Tkachuk brothers on the same line...lol.

Seriously though I think this has the makings for one of the most talented U.S. teams of all time. Here's who I would have today (the roster size is 22 skaters and three goaltenders-correct?):

Goaltenders (x3):

Connor Hellebucyk
John Gibson
Ben Bishop

Defense (x8):

Jaccob Slavin/Brett Pesce
Seth Jones/Zach Werenski
Charlie McAvoy/Quinn Hughes
Adam Fox/John Carlson

Forwards (x14):

Gaudreau/Matthews/B.Tkachuk
M.Tkachuk/Eichel/Kane
Wheeler/Hughes/Connor
Miller/Larkin/Boeser
DeBrincat/Pavelski

Last edited:

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I think the main question is do you play the Tkachuk brothers on the same line...lol.

Seriously though I think this has the makings for one of the most talented U.S. teams of all time. Here's who I would have today:

Goaltenders (x3):

Connor Hellebucyk
John Gibson
Ben Bishop

Defense (x8):

Jaccob Slavin/Brett Pesce
Seth Jones/Zach Werenski
Charlie McAvoy/Quinn Hughes
Adam Fox/John Carlson

Forwards (x12):

Gaudreau/Matthews/B.Tkachuk
M.Tkachuk/Eichel/Kane
Wheeler/Hughes/Connor
Miller/Larkin/Boeser

Are you listing by depth chart? Meaning you are scratching John Carlson?

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Connor-Eichel-Tkachuk
Gaudreau-Matthews-Kane
Hughes-Larkin-Boeser
Guentzel-Pavelski-Tkachuk
Miller

HM’s: Nelson, Hayes, Schmaltz, Trocheck, Dvorak, DeBrincat, Keller, Garland, Farabee, JVR, Kreider, Pacioretty, Wheeler, Lee

Werenski-Jones
Slavin-McAvoy
McDonagh-Fox
Carlson

HM’s: Suter, Hughes, Krug, Pionk, Petry, DeAngelo

Gibson
Hellebuyck
Bishop

HM’s: Oettinger, Demko, Petersen

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I don’t see Carlson or Hughes as the locks some do. One of our strengths should be that all our regular defensemen are very good defensively. Bring one of those guys along for the PP. The other shouldn’t make it. We don’t need a defensive liability taking regular defensive shifts.

Reactions: DOCHockeyGuy

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Wheeler-Matthews-Kane
Gaudreau-Eichel-Connor
Tkachuk-Hughes-Tkachuk
DeBrincat-Miller-Boeser

McAvoy-Hughes
Carlson-Slavin
Werenski-Jones

Helle/Gibson

JT MIller is not making team USA, like Cmaaaan man, where is Larkin? He should be on it, with his speed.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I don’t see Carlson or Hughes as the locks some do. One of our strengths should be that all our regular defensemen are very good defensively. Bring one of those guys along for the PP. The other shouldn’t make it. We don’t need a defensive liability taking regular defensive shifts.

I disagree. USA Hockey is not going to leave off a PPG d-man. Both Hughes and Carlson make it. Personally, I don't think Carlson needs to be insulated. If he needs to reign it in a touch he can. He just isn't often called upon or encouraged to do so. If you're worried about Hughes, play him with any number of strong defensive d-men that will be on the team. Maybe a McAvoy, McDonagh (if he makes it) or Fox (if he makes it).

Reactions: SanDogBrewin

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
JT MIller is not making team USA, like Cmaaaan man, where is Larkin? He should be on it, with his speed.

I think Miller has a very good chance. He can play both center/wing, is very good on face-offs, is very skilled, and is tenacious. Yeah, he has a tendency to pout here and there but he's a very good player.

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
MTkachuk - Matthews - Kane
Connor - Eichel - Boeser
Gaudreau - Larkin - Guentzel
Miller - Hughes - Wheeler
BTkachuk - Rust

Hughes - Carlson
Slavin - McAvoy
Fox - Jones
Werenski - Chychrun

Hellebuyck
Gibson
Demko

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I disagree. USA Hockey is not going to leave off a PPG d-man. Both Hughes and Carlson make it. Personally, I don't think Carlson needs to be insulated. If he needs to reign it in a touch he can. He just isn't often called upon or encouraged to do so. If you're worried about Hughes, play him with any number of strong defensive d-men that will be on the team. Maybe a McAvoy, McDonagh (if he makes it) or Fox (if he makes it).

Carlson needs to be insulated less so than Hughes, but we have a number of defenseman who are way better defensively than him.

And this idea that NHL stats where some players pad their stats on bad teams or with incredibly favorable deployment should take precedent makes no sense to me. We are building a team to win, not to reward players for piling up points in the NHL.

We aren't going to out talent Canada. We need to build a team with an identity. I think bringing a defense where all of them can play in any situation, and can switch and match any Canada line will give us a better chance than if we try to load up our highest scoring defenseman against theirs. If thats what you want, we might as well also take Krug at the expense of Slavin in the name of points.

JiggsNY

Sep 14, 2016
New York
I'm mostly curious how USAH fills out the second half of the forwards. Really depends on the philosph they go for, I hope they lean into the skill we now have and don't repeat old strategies (like "specifically designed to beat canada" mantra). I think if our older vets are performing well USAH will be inclined to take them over some younger guys, especially considering how young this roster will be skewing to begin with. USAH brain trust has historically and may again opt for veterans, and leadership, and experience etc.

Assuming Matthews (24), Eichel (25), Gaudreau (28), Connor (25), Boeser (24), Kane (33), M. Tkachuk (24), Larkin (25) are locks (8 forwards), they have an average age of 26. Then we have 6 forward spots left, likely some combination of these:

Pavelski (37), Wheeler (35), Oshie (35), Pacioretty (33), JVR (32)
Rust (29), Miller (28), Trocheck (28), Guentzel (27)
Tuch (25), DeBrincat (24), B. Tkachuk (22), J. Hughes (20)

My 6 would be a mix of the younger two categories, but USAH i would worry that becuase our locks are so young that they will be leaning to older vets for "intangible qualities". We have more talent than ever, I hope we lean into it. My 6 right now would be, Hughes, B. Tkacuhk, Guentzel, Trocheck, Wheeler, Miller. But I also feel DeBrincat should be there so maybe no Miller or Trocheck idk

Last edited:

JiggsNY

Sep 14, 2016
New York
Tkachuk - Matthews -Kane
Gaudreau -Eichel - Boeser
Connor - Larkin - Guentzel
Tkachuk - Hughes - Wheeler
Miller - Trocheck

I like the depth of Miller and Trocheck so that you have the option to shift Jack Hughes to the wing if needed to get more 2 way responsibility vs teams like Canada. But Miller and Trocheck may be redundant so maybe DeBrincat or Rust could go in place of one. But also, USAH may opt for Pavelski for that role.

Last edited:

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Carlson needs to be insulated less so than Hughes, but we have a number of defenseman who are way better defensively than him.

And this idea that NHL stats where some players pad their stats on bad teams or with incredibly favorable deployment should take precedent makes no sense to me. We are building a team to win, not to reward players for piling up points in the NHL.

We aren't going to out talent Canada. We need to build a team with an identity. I think bringing a defense where all of them can play in any situation, and can switch and match any Canada line will give us a better chance than if we try to load up our highest scoring defenseman against theirs. If thats what you want, we might as well also take Krug at the expense of Slavin in the name of points.

Well, I actually think the U.S. can compete with the likes of Canada this go around so for me, I'm taking the best talent and that means Carlson is on my team and would have a top six role. You don't like him, and that's fine. Don't have him on your team.

Last edited:

JiggsNY

Sep 14, 2016
New York
Well, I actually think the U.S. can compete with the likes of Canada this go around so for me, I'm taking the best talent and that means Carlson is on my team and would have a top six role. You don't like him, and that's fine. Don't have him on your team.
Agreed. Maybe for the first time in our history we can run 4 lines and 3 pairings of talent within the same ballpark of Canada. We don’t have to and shouldn’t build “Canada neutralizing” lineups anymore, just run out our best players and we should have as good a shot as we’ve ever had.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
M. Tkachuk - Matthews - Kane
Connor - Eichel - Boeser
Gaudreau - Larkin - Tuch
B. Tkachuk - Trocheck - Wheeler
Hughes

Werenski - Jones
Slavin - McAvoy
McDonagh - Carlson
Hughes

Hellebyuck
Gibson

Tried to keep everyone on the right sides/positions.

Reactions: JiggsNY

HFpapi

Mar 6, 2010
Toronto/Amsterdam
I know he had an awful season last year, but has Kessel fallen off so much that he isn't in a single post here save the HM in the OP? One season removed from 82 points and you'd have to think that speed and shot would look good on the wing of a Larkin or Eichel? Maybe I'm out to lunch, I haven't watched Phil since his Pittsburgh days

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I know he had an awful season last year, but has Kessel fallen off so much that he isn't in a single post here save the HM in the OP? One season removed from 82 points and you'd have to think that speed and shot would look good on the wing of a Larkin or Eichel? Maybe I'm out to lunch, I haven't watched Phil since his Pittsburgh days

No, he would not be under consideration at this point in time. There are better options.

JiggsNY

Sep 14, 2016
New York
Keep Dean Lombardi and John Tortorella far away
Yeah getting the brain trust gm/coach right is almost as important as the roster itself. I would love for USAH to go hard after Jon Cooper, he is a dual citizen. But I have a feeling USAH isn’t going to branch out of their little umbrella.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Yeah getting the brain trust gm/coach right is almost as important as the roster itself. I would love for USAH to go hard after Jon Cooper, he is a dual citizen. But I have a feeling USAH isn’t going to branch out of their little umbrella.

Cooper's likely going to be Canada's coach! I think that ship has sailed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad