U18: Team Switzerland U18 WJC roster talk

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
Since most of the other teams seem to have a thread I' am making one for Switzerland as well, even though the need for discussion might not be super high.

Based on the prep-camp selection I would project the roster along the following lines:

Biasca - Canonica - Robin
Truog - Henry - Reichle
Parée - Taibel - Nicolet
Naber - Ramel - Greuter
Bougro/Jabola

Bichsel - Sidler
Zanetti - Streule
Dionicio - Despont

Pasche
Riesen

No real standout prospects on this roster regarding the NHL draft. Guys like Canonica, Reichle, Bichsel, Taibel and Greuter (if he makes the cut) should be of some interest though. Depth wise i feel like this group has a bit more talent on average than the 01/02 group though. Belarus and Latvia should therefore be beatable, unless they have above average age groups this year, wich I just don't know...

Oberyn Martell

Dec 26, 2018
Looking at the stats, are those goaltenders a problem? And at the beginning of the season I thought Kimo Gruber would have a legit chance to make it. How did he look this season?

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
Looking at the stats, are those goaltenders a problem? And at the beginning of the season I thought Kimo Gruber would have a legit chance to make it. How did he look this season?

Gruber is injured right now and is therefore not an option. He started the season very strong but his production faltered a bit as the season progressed. I still think he is a very promising prospect but even for a team like Switzerland it takes a lot to make a U18 team as a double underager. Hischier is the only one I can think of from recent memory and he was put on the fourth line in 2015. Even guys like Josi, Meier and Fiala didn't make the team that young. So I don't think he would have been selected even if he was healthy. He should be a lock for next year though.

Goaltending is a bit of a crapshoot every year for Switzerland. It will always require a goalie to get hot to enable the team to have a good tournament. I dont know enough about those goalies to make an edjucated claim if they are worse than average though. The Swiss u20 league is a pretty high scoring league as well wich could have deflated their save% stats a bit.

Last edited:

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
Final roster:

EzUyv5eVgAAqs6T.jpg

Canonica obivously missing but I am not sure if its injury related or if he prefers to play in the QMJHL. Otherwise its pretty much what you would expect.

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
"Die hard" guy still injured or simply didn't make final cut ?

Hans played for the U17 team a couple of weeks ago and looked really good, puting up quite a few points. So he didn't make the team. The roster is already pretty young compared to other nations so the staff probably wanted to go with experience over talent. Should be a slam dunk next year though.

Reactions: pukovnik

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
I have seen the exhibition against the Czechs. We lost 3-1 but the game was rather close. Czechs were not that much better though. High danger chance were about even and the Czechs got an empty netter in the end. Quality of play wasnt great with many broken plays wich wasnt just because of the age level but probably also because the preperation games against Germany were cancelled and the team hasnt had much game practice.

Tournament starts today against Latvia. This game will probably be a close affair; apparently the Latvians did in the Germans 5-1 in their exhibition game. This is an absolute must win game though if this team wants to advance to the knockout stage.

Reactions: hellwar9

pgfan66

Jun 26, 2019
This was the lineup vs. Czechia:

Garesus-Biasca-Nicolet
Taibel-Henry-Reichle
Perrenoud-Jabola-Truog
Spring-Bougro-Alge
Greuter

Zanetti-Sidler
Bichsel-Cantin
Streule-Despont
Dionico-Pauchard

Is that a realistic opening-night lineup or were they trying some players out to see who cracks the actual lineup? Surprised to see that Robin was missing – was he the odd man out for lineup experiments or is there actually a chance that he won't play?

First impression of the team wasn't great, but Bichsel looks promising. Excited to see what he can do in Leksand next season. The centre depth is quite funny, with 3 players 5'7" or smaller. Could be difficult against bigger teams.

Tournament starts today against Latvia. This game will probably be a close affair; apparently the Latvians did in the Germans 5-1 in their exhibition game. This is an absolute must win game though if this team wants to advance to the knockout stage.
No idea if Latvia is any good, but I can tell you that Germany isn't. There's some talent upfront, led by potential 2022 first-rounder Julian Lutz, but the rest isn't great and the defence is awful. Missing 2/3 of the potential 1st line in Hänelt and Kechter. A few of the players haven't played since October, including the new 1C Robin van Calster.

Tube Skates

May 12, 2016
Watched Biasca a lot with the Mooseheads this year. Good all around player. Works hard. Hope he nets a couple

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
4-2 win against Latvia. It was pretty much a team effort. Switzerland was clearly the better skating and more talented team and could convert this into the win. There is big room for improvement though. The PP was really bad with the exception of the first one and the inability of our centers to win faceoffs will probably cost us dearly as the tournament goes on. Bichsel stood out a bit with his offensive contributions but also had some shaky defensive plays. Biasca, Robin and to a lesser extent Reichle were the most notable forwards.

On a side note. Jeremy Jabola Prada is a really interesting player. He doesn't put up great numbers in the Swiss junior leagues and I was surprised he was even given a roster spot with his size. For the national team however his numbers are always off the charts wich is a weird discrepancy as the level of play is much higher. Will be interesting to see if he can carve out a pro career for himself in the next few years.

Last edited:

Kuracmugger

Oct 15, 2019
Haven’t seen the game against Belarus yesterday. Can someone tell what the issue was? It’s a bit shocking to see our guys lose 7:1 to belarus.

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
Haven’t seen the game against Belarus yesterday. Can someone tell what the issue was? It’s a bit shocking to see our guys lose 7:1 to belarus.
Special teams were the difference. Belarus scored on their first four PP opportunities after you guys were not able to capitalize on early PP's including one double minor, and the game was somewhat done in first 30 minutes.

Kuracmugger

Oct 15, 2019
Special teams were the difference. Belarus scored on their first four PP opportunities after you guys were not able to capitalize on early PP's including one double minor, and the game was somewhat done in first 30 minutes.
Embarrassing to lose so high to belarus but seems like they actually played well so probs to them.

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
In my oppinion a few factors played into each other. Special teams were probably the biggest issue. On the double minor you have to score in such a tournament there is no way around it. Then the team took to many penalties in the second peroid especially Greuter. But in general the whole team needs to be smarter in that area. I would say that there was also some bad luck as not every penalty kill sequence was bad, rather did the players from Belarus execute very well.

Then after trailing with a few goals I also felt the teams morale faltered a bit and they made some nervous mistakes like the delay of play penalty bi Bichsel etc. As the game went along the physical edge of Belarus also started to show, maybe the swiss used a bit to much energy in the first peroid when they came out guns blazing.

pgfan66

Jun 26, 2019
I thought Switzerland looked better early on, at even strength but also on the PP where they had some great puck movement going. Definitely could’ve scored one there. But as previous posters said, Belarus scoring 4/4 on the PP shifted the game. After that, it was all Belarus.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad