Team Switzerland must play in World Cup20?

salamandra

Aug 31, 2017
In five years there will be 25/30 swiss players in Nhl.
This is really bullshit. Only few drafted players recive chance in NHL. RAthberg and Praplan are not permanent players of NHL. Thier chance is 50-50. We can see for example Simon Moser, Plachta, Martinsen, P. Bjorkstrand etc.

Last season 15 swiss players have played some games in NHL.
Possible future players in NHL: Kurashev, Rod, Suter,
Have to be more better: Egennberger, Siegenthaler, Gross, Riat, Potelberghe
Nowadays withouth a chance: C. Thurkauf, Geisser.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
It makes you wonder why the NHL even wants to host a world cup in the first place. If they want to put together a pre season all star tournament, they should just do that. Make a best of 7 series with team Europe vs North America. They can use the same logos and uniforms from the gimmick teams in 2016, plaster them with ads to maximize revenue, play games in Beijing, then pat themselves on the back for "promoting their brand" overseas.
If they want to make a best-on-best international tournament, the 2 things they actually need is to have are national teams and 0 restrictions on rosters. Unfortunately, the NHL could not do either of these in 2016, and probably will find another way to screw it up in 2020.

You're correct about there being basically only two things the NHL needed to do (have only national teams and have no roster restrictions) but my guess is that the league wanted as many NHLers as possible while still maintaining the prestige or aura of a best on best tournament. Of course those two things were mutually exclusive and the NHL ended up with a frankenstein tournament that was nothing other than a joke. The reason to host it was money, and the reason to allow such an obviously idiotic format was a mixture of desire for money and stupidity. Even using the flawed IIHF rankings Switzerland would have been at the tournament instead of one of the gimmick teams.

Pieck

Dec 13, 2017
BC
More than half of Team Switzerland would be NHLers.

But whoever the 8th best country is won't be, I think.

Just go with a 7 team tournament. 1 group. Everyone plays everyone. And then the top 4 make it to the semifinals. Or top 6 with the top 2 getting byes. Seems weird but I bet it would be fun.

Reactions: um

torniojaws

Jan 10, 2017
Finland
I think these could be fair:

Canada
Czech Republic
Finland
Russia
Sweden
Switzerland
USA
+ Rest of the world

And the tournament could be more fun with a everyone vs. everyone round-robin (= 7 games per team), and then the Top 4 by points play in semifinals and then the winners in the final.

If they want to make it a bit more gimmicky in an audience-engaging way, they could have an additional Skills Competition like in the NHL All-Stars, where each country could earn extra points.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
More than half of Team Switzerland would be NHLers.

But whoever the 8th best country is won't be, I think.

Just go with a 7 team tournament. 1 group. Everyone plays everyone. And then the top 4 make it to the semifinals. Or top 6 with the top 2 getting byes. Seems weird but I bet it would be fun.

I think in 4 years Switzerland can ice a team only with players under contract with an NHL-team (NHL+AHL-players).

Reactions: BruinLVGA

torniojaws

Jan 10, 2017
Finland
I think in 4 years Switzerland can ice a team only with players under contract with an NHL-team (NHL+AHL-players).
If you compare to Finland, it took about 15 years to see an insurgence of new NHL players after the 1995 world championship. In other words, the 5-year-olds watching them win grew up. It could be the same case with Switzerland, now that they've had quite good success for a couple of years. Maybe in 2025-2030, there will be a major increase in Swiss NHLers.

But it kind of feels that Switzerland has achieved their success slightly differently - by having a competitive national league with a large amount of excellent foreign players that teach the Swiss players how to be a professional player. For example Finland has never really had something like that. If a North American players comes to Europe, they'll very rarely come to Finland. They'll go to Central Europe mostly. Luckily we have our own players to learn from, as many Finnish ex-NHLers return back to play their final professional years in Finland, or return here after they retire from the NHL. A huge amount of them go into coaching and training in our hockey academy. For example Teemu Selänne teaches young kids full-time(?) how to score goals, and Jere Lehtinen is very active in the national team. Saku Koivu and Miikka Kiprusoff own one of our nationa league teams, and so on. Jari Kurri is active in the national team and hockey federation.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
There already was a major increase in Swiss NHLers. 10 years ago there were 3, now we had 13 players who played one NHL-game this season.
Together with AHL-players we had 16 Swiss players playing in NA. For next year there are two who return (Bertschy, Berra) and 3 who are joining an NHL-organisation (Praplan, Ratgheb, Geisser). We could see one or two more, eventually.

But of course, resources are limited, it's unlikely that Switzerland will ever have the same amount of NHLers like Finland or the Czechs. But we could have a full team with NHL/AHL-players which would be necessery to play the World Cup.

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact coming my way!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
If you compare to Finland, it took about 15 years to see an insurgence of new NHL players after the 1995 world championship. In other words, the 5-year-olds watching them win grew up. It could be the same case with Switzerland, now that they've had quite good success for a couple of years. Maybe in 2025-2030, there will be a major increase in Swiss NHLers.

But it kind of feels that Switzerland has achieved their success slightly differently - by having a competitive national league with a large amount of excellent foreign players that teach the Swiss players how to be a professional player. For example Finland has never really had something like that. If a North American players comes to Europe, they'll very rarely come to Finland. They'll go to Central Europe mostly. Luckily we have our own players to learn from, as many Finnish ex-NHLers return back to play their final professional years in Finland, or return here after they retire from the NHL. A huge amount of them go into coaching and training in our hockey academy. For example Teemu Selänne teaches young kids full-time(?) how to score goals, and Jere Lehtinen is very active in the national team. Saku Koivu and Miikka Kiprusoff own one of our nationa league teams, and so on. Jari Kurri is active in the national team and hockey federation.

Switzerland is a peculiar case. Swiss hockey wasn't a true full pro sport until the 90s. As I already mentioned in another post, Swiss players were semi pros until then. It is probably something hard to believe for people outside Switzerland or the younger Swiss fans, but top hockey players had part time jobs. In the 80s, the company I was working for, a large banking institution, employed for example Roberto Triulzi (6 times Swiss champion, 109 games with the national team) in the IT department. One day in the intrabank magazine that was published every few months, they did a piece on the elite athletes working for the bank and believe it or not, there were maybe around 10 or so folks (Triulzi was the only hockey guy. And if I may say, I too was one of them 10).

So, it's not a coincidence that Switzerland goes REALLY full pro and starts putting a lot of effort into the youth system and 25 years later they have a sizeable "colony" in the NHL and have two medals in the past 6 editions of the worlds. It was hard work and it paid off. I too think that the Swiss presence in the NHL is on a uptrend.

garbageteam

Jan 7, 2010
Without question. Two silver medals in last 5 years, one of which was from a shootout loss that could've gone either way. 15 players that have played in the NHL this year, closing in on 20 in a few years. #1 draft overall in 2017. Slovakia, Germany and Denmark should have a shot to compete for the final spot with 14, 7 and 7 players that had played in the NHL this year, respectively.

Call me naive but I actually will take Bettman's word for it when he said the NA/Euro circus acts were one-time experiments, if another World Cup is ever held. They must certainly have been unaware how asinine and unpopular they were with both fans (save a few exceptions) and federations overall.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
I'm hoping that it's something like: Top 6 countries go in straight. Top 7-12 ranked countries, Switzerland, Germany, Slovakia, Latvia, Denmark and Norway play qualifications for the 2 spots to make it 8 teams total. Maybe 2x 3 team groups so there won't be that many games. Best players need to be there for the qualifications so it should be timed one year before on the fall before NHL season starts, similar to last World Cup's timing.

Tuoppi

Sep 9, 2016
Pori
How silly it would be to pick FIFA World cup teams based on number of Premier league and La liga players. It should be IIHF ranking and/or qualifying. Maybe the IIHF could be part of the World cup so it would count in the ranking. If it happened say USA couldn't qualify then so be it.

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
How silly it would be to pick FIFA World cup teams based on number of Premier league and La liga players. It should be IIHF ranking and/or qualifying. Maybe the IIHF could be part of the World cup so it would count in the ranking. If it happened say USA couldn't qualify then so be it.
To be honest, it would be great if the annually-held World Champs ceased to exist.

Most sports, especially the big ones, don't hold a World Championship event every single year. It just doesn't mean as much if its being held so often. And it certainly doesn't mean a lot to North Americans.

Why not switch to a European Championship instead? 16 teams, the same format as now. Just without the US and Canada.

Sweden
Russia
Finland
Czechia
Switzerland
Germany
Slovakia
Latvia
Denmark
Norway
France
Austria
Belarus
Italy
Slovenia
Hungary

It would make the tournament a lot more competitive for most teams. The Top 5 teams would qualify to the World Cup and the 6th-ranked team would play a best-of-3 against the Asian champions (Kazakhstan/Korea/Japan/China).

It could be held every 2 years.

Reactions: Morrison

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
I love my annual World Champs, don't take it away from me. I don't care about the level of play, I just want my May international hockey.
You would be having your international hockey every year.

May international hockey excludes a lot of NHL talent, it doesn't make a lot of sense, if you think about it.

2019 - Euro Champs (16 teams + regional tournaments and Div I)
2020 - World Cup (8 teams?)
2021 - Euro Champs
2022 - Olympics (12 teams)

Tuoppi

Sep 9, 2016
Pori
There could be a 20 team World cup every 4 years. 4 groups of 5 teams. Single elimination 16 team playoffs so room for surprises. Not always in Canada but you would have to bid. Then there could be other tournaments like continental championships, olympics and u23 World championships.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
These are all nice dreams but won't ever happen. The IIHF needs the yearly world championship. They get their money there. Without this tournament there would be no money for the development of the sport and all lower tournaments.

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
These are all nice dreams but won't ever happen. The IIHF needs the yearly world championship. They get their money there. Without this tournament there would be no money for the development of the sport and all lower tournaments.
I wasn't aware of any money being used to develop the sport.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
I'm no defender for the IIHF and am not responsible for what they are doing with their money but I'm pretty sure that Latvian federation also gets their fair share from the television rights of the World Championship. And organizing a tournament for every nation who wants to play icehockey also helps to develop the sport.

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
I'm no defender for the IIHF and am not responsible for what they are doing with their money but I'm pretty sure that Latvian federation also gets their fair share from the television rights of the World Championship. And organizing a tournament for every nation who wants to play icehockey also helps to develop the sport.
No, we don't really get anything substantial from any TV rights. Certainly not enough to cover player insurance costs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->