Team Switzerland must play in World Cup20?

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I don't know if Switzerland must play, but actual national teams should play in what is meant to be (and presented as) an international tournament. Switzerland should have been in the 2016 World Cup.

Reactions: Rob

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Switzerland could make a pretty good team from their NHL and NLA players right now, not to mention in 2020 when they could have young promising guys like Nussbaumer, Kurashev and Eggenberger on the roster too.

Them, along with Denmark, Germany and Latvia should all definitely have their own teams next time around.

I agree. With everybody available, we could ice:

Meier, Corvi, Niederreiter
Bärtschi, Malgin, Andrighetto
Fiala, Hischier, Fazzini
Hofmann, Suter, Haas
Herzog, Vermin, Scherwey

Josi, Weber
Müller, Sbisa
Kukan, Sutter
Siegenthaler, Fora

That's four almost equally strong lines/pairings. They're either NHL-players, are good enough to play there now or in the near future (okay okay, I will admit that's ambitious for Herzog and Scherwey^^) . The difficulty will probably be to bring them all together like for this world championships. It's the first time it worked.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
I'd always thought one of Team Switzerland's strengths was that the team plays together a lot and thus is gelled and well coordinated. Bringing in the players that don't get to play with the national team much could potentially disrupt that, just a thought. Of course, I consider the World Cup a joke tournament, so whatevs.

SympathyForTheDevils

Feb 22, 2010
Quebec City
They absolutely should. Unfortunately, they won't. The reason for the Team Europe monstrosity was most likely that those countries can't field majority NHL rosters. And the World Cup is an NHL event. Unless that changes, I doubt we'll see the Swiss team there.

Partagas

Dec 20, 2011
They absolutely should. Unfortunately, they won't. The reason for the Team Europe monstrosity was most likely that those countries can't field majority NHL rosters. And the World Cup is an NHL event. Unless that changes, I doubt we'll see the Swiss team there.
No, it's only a matter of time.Switzerland is , after 2 silvermedal in five years, already clear n.7 in W.hockey Ranking.This year 15 swiss players have played almost one game in Nhl.In five years there will be 25/30 swiss players in Nhl.

Reactions: Morrison

holyprime

Oct 5, 2010
No, they must not: The regular season in the NLA starts in the beginning of September. Why should it stop or handicap the teams who have to send their best players to an absolutely meaningless and arbitrary private pre-season tournament (almost) no one in Switzerland cares about?

It would be a different discussion if the tournament could be taken seriously (like, not pre-season invitational mickey mouse stuff) and is not just a sorry excuse for the NHL blocking the players from participating in the Olympics. But right now as a swiss it is just not interesting at all. Actually it wouldn't be a discussion then, because if this were the case, there would be a mechanism in place that defines which (top 6/top 8/top whatever/qualification round/etc) team participates and not the arbitrary "we expect to make more money like this" nonsense that defines the "World Cup" of hockey right now.

All just imho ofc, i'm not speaking for my fellow country(wo)men.

</rant off>

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Versus A teams?
I'm not sure the A swiss team can compete.
Maybe in 5 years if we can keep producing 1st and/or 2nd rounders every years.

so who should be the 7th and 8th team in world cup then? gimmick teams, no thanks.

its either swiss, denmark, slovakia or germany or even latvia.

Last edited:

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Hiller
Genoni
Berra

Josi - Weber
Muller - Sbisa
Kukan - Diaz

Fiala - Hischier - Bärtschi
Nino - Malgin - Meier
Andrighetto - Corvi - Moser
Hofmann - Haas - Ambuhl

Not sure if Brunner still got it. Moser should be in NHL.

swissexpert

Sep 21, 2009
Hiller
Genoni
Berra

Josi - Weber
Muller - Sbisa
Kukan - Diaz

Fiala - Hischier - Bärtschi
Nino - Malgin - Meier
Andrighetto - Corvi - Moser
Hofmann - Haas - Ambuhl

Not sure if Brunner still got it. Moser should be in NHL.

This is about 70% NHL and it's quite possible that maybe Corvi/Hofmann will get invitations by then.
Or some of the other guys like Thürkauf, Suter, Siegenthaler, Geisser, Suri, Richard, Senn will be included by then.
Or new talents: Kurashev, Gross, Eggenberger, Nussbaumer

All in all, there could be 80-90% NHL material and the team would definitely have more heart than a gimmick team of rivals.
I mean promotion does only work if the team is supportable. No german watches this just because Draisaitl plays on a weird team he doesn't care about (malicious gossip has it that he does already ;) ).

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
This is about 70% NHL and it's quite possible that maybe Corvi/Hofmann will get invitations by then.
Or some of the other guys like Thürkauf, Suter, Siegenthaler, Geisser, Suri, Richard, Senn will be included by then.
Or new talents: Kurashev, Gross, Eggenberger, Nussbaumer

Suri? Add Rathgeb and Praplan to that list.

swissexpert

Sep 21, 2009
Suri? Add Rathgeb and Praplan to that list.
I was just listing some names on top of my head, who knows which players will ever play in the big league.
Suri once had an NHL contract but it doesn't sound too realistic anymore, you're right.

Partagas

Dec 20, 2011
so who should be the 7th and 8th team in world cup then? gimmick teams, no thanks.

its either swiss, denmark, slovakia or germany or even latvia.
I mean should be pretty clear wo is 7th in world cup: swi is 7th in iihf ranking, more nhl as the others country (Germany,Denmark,Slovakia or Latvia) 2 silver medal at the Iihf Worlds in the last 5 years. Germanys silver medal at the last Olympics without Nhl players is less worth.

Reactions: BruinLVGA

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact coming my way!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
Its worrying that one now have to take Switzerland seriously... This was a loooong evening with a lot of stress.:eek:
Shouldn't you be skiing, making chocolate or at least focus on football? :huh:
Its always nice to see other countries than the usual big 6 play in WHC but not when you playing that good. :naughty:

We are too. In football, Switzerland has quite a strong team & many Swiss players play in the top leagues.

Reactions: Matte99

salamandra

Aug 31, 2017
I mean should be pretty clear wo is 7th in world cup: swi is 7th in iihf ranking, more nhl as the others country (Germany,Denmark,Slovakia or Latvia) 2 silver medal at the Iihf Worlds in the last 5 years. Germanys silver medal at the last Olympics without Nhl players is less worth.

This year 14 slovak players have played almost one game in NHL. Thats just one less like swiss. Next season Cernak, Pospisil and Studenic will play in AHL.
Some very good players in europe: Hrivik, Viedensky, Kristof, Cajkovsky, Ceresnak, Zaborsky, Reway, Hudacek, Krivosik.
New talents like Ruzicka, Bucek, Roman, Fehervary, Bodak, Cajkovic, Hrehorcak.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
No one likes Team Europe and Team NA.

I’d rather see Andorra and Madagascar than Team Europe and Team NA.

Team Europe and Team NA were literally the highlights of World Cup 2016. Team NA was exciting AF and Team Europe against all odds was Carey Price GodMode away from winning the whole thing.

I say that as a Canadian.

Reactions: Morrison

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Team Europe and Team NA were literally the highlights of World Cup 2016. Team NA was exciting AF and Team Europe against all odds was Carey Price GodMode away from winning the whole thing.

I say that as a Canadian.

I'm not speaking about their on-ice performance as much as it made a mockery of an international tournament.

If Team Europe won, I'm sure "Europeans" would have been really proud when they played the "European anthem" while the "European flag - those countries that represented themselves" was raised to the rafters.

The end result was meaningless as far as a best-on-best measuring stick goes.

The US in particular were critically handicapped by the existence of Team NA.

Reactions: Faterson

cg98

Oct 10, 2017
The Swiss should more than likely be at the next WCoH. This is the best shape Swiss hockey has been in for a while. Lots of solid young players developing well in their domestic league and translating it to international competition. Hischier in his prime will help too. If the Swiss dumped as much money into their junior development programs as they do with their domestic league theyd probably take over the Czechs spot in the big 6 within a few years.

JETZZZ

Oct 27, 2010
Winnipeg Manitoba
It makes you wonder why the NHL even wants to host a world cup in the first place. If they want to put together a pre season all star tournament, they should just do that. Make a best of 7 series with team Europe vs North America. They can use the same logos and uniforms from the gimmick teams in 2016, plaster them with ads to maximize revenue, play games in Beijing, then pat themselves on the back for "promoting their brand" overseas.
If they want to make a best-on-best international tournament, the 2 things they actually need is to have are national teams and 0 restrictions on rosters. Unfortunately, the NHL could not do either of these in 2016, and probably will find another way to screw it up in 2020.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->