Team Switzerland must play in World Cup20?

Discussion in 'International Tournaments' started by Bear12Good, May 20, 2018.

View Users: View Users
  1. JackSlater

JackSlater Registered User

I don't know if Switzerland must play, but actual national teams should play in what is meant to be (and presented as) an international tournament. Switzerland should have been in the 2016 World Cup.

Rob likes this.
  2. Hinterland

Hinterland Registered User

I agree. With everybody available, we could ice:

Meier, Corvi, Niederreiter
    Bärtschi, Malgin, Andrighetto
    Fiala, Hischier, Fazzini
    Hofmann, Suter, Haas
    Herzog, Vermin, Scherwey

Josi, Weber
    Müller, Sbisa
    Kukan, Sutter
    Siegenthaler, Fora

That's four almost equally strong lines/pairings. They're either NHL-players, are good enough to play there now or in the near future (okay okay, I will admit that's ambitious for Herzog and Scherwey^^) . The difficulty will probably be to bring them all together like for this world championships. It's the first time it worked.

3. kabidjan18

kabidjan18 Registered User

Kronwalling
    Home Page:
    This should be indisputable.

Team NA was a wet dream to watch, but contributed to a cascade of other events that made the tournament less meaningful.

4. maclean

maclean Registered User

I'd always thought one of Team Switzerland's strengths was that the team plays together a lot and thus is gelled and well coordinated. Bringing in the players that don't get to play with the national team much could potentially disrupt that, just a thought. Of course, I consider the World Cup a joke tournament, so whatevs.

5. babylonzoo

babylonzoo Registered User

Let's see if there is a lockout

6. Tomas W

Tomas W Registered User

The Swiss do have a number of NHLers, and should be a market for the NHL to aim as well. I was suprised that they didint get invited last time around.

Morrison and Jablkon like this.
  7. TruePowerSlave

TruePowerSlave Registered User

I dunno. Team NA player the most entertaining hockey of the tournament. It was fun to see.

8. SympathyForTheDevils

SympathyForTheDevils Registered User

They absolutely should. Unfortunately, they won't. The reason for the Team Europe monstrosity was most likely that those countries can't field majority NHL rosters. And the World Cup is an NHL event. Unless that changes, I doubt we'll see the Swiss team there.

9. Partagas

Partagas Registered User

No, it's only a matter of time.Switzerland is , after 2 silvermedal in five years, already clear n.7 in W.hockey Ranking.This year 15 swiss players have played almost one game in Nhl.In five years there will be 25/30 swiss players in Nhl.

Morrison likes this.
  10. holyprime

holyprime Registered User

No, they must not: The regular season in the NLA starts in the beginning of September. Why should it stop or handicap the teams who have to send their best players to an absolutely meaningless and arbitrary private pre-season tournament (almost) no one in Switzerland cares about?

It would be a different discussion if the tournament could be taken seriously (like, not pre-season invitational mickey mouse stuff) and is not just a sorry excuse for the NHL blocking the players from participating in the Olympics. But right now as a swiss it is just not interesting at all. Actually it wouldn't be a discussion then, because if this were the case, there would be a mechanism in place that defines which (top 6/top 8/top whatever/qualification round/etc) team participates and not the arbitrary "we expect to make more money like this" nonsense that defines the "World Cup" of hockey right now.

All just imho ofc, i'm not speaking for my fellow country(wo)men.

</rant off>

TorstenFrings, alce and Jon Riley like this.
  11. Eye of Ra

Eye of Ra Registered User

so who should be the 7th and 8th team in world cup then? gimmick teams, no thanks.

its either swiss, denmark, slovakia or germany or even latvia.

Last edited: May 21, 2018
  12. Eye of Ra

Eye of Ra Registered User

Hiller
    Genoni
    Berra

Josi - Weber
    Muller - Sbisa
    Kukan - Diaz

Fiala - Hischier - Bärtschi
    Nino - Malgin - Meier
    Andrighetto - Corvi - Moser
    Hofmann - Haas - Ambuhl

Not sure if Brunner still got it. Moser should be in NHL.

13. Urbanskog

Urbanskog Platinum Member

The NHL should never host their ridiculous tournament again which will always be remembered as a laughing stock.

14. Chimp

Chimp Registered User

Fiat currency grinder.
    [​IMG]

Morrison likes this.
  15. swissexpert

swissexpert Registered User

This is about 70% NHL and it's quite possible that maybe Corvi/Hofmann will get invitations by then.
    Or some of the other guys like Thürkauf, Suter, Siegenthaler, Geisser, Suri, Richard, Senn will be included by then.
    Or new talents: Kurashev, Gross, Eggenberger, Nussbaumer

All in all, there could be 80-90% NHL material and the team would definitely have more heart than a gimmick team of rivals.
    I mean promotion does only work if the team is supportable. No german watches this just because Draisaitl plays on a weird team he doesn't care about (malicious gossip has it that he does already ;) ).

16. Changeiscoming

Changeiscoming Rebooting myself Sponsor

currently creating a new identity

So should Germany
    Take team out Europe.. last time I checked Europe is not a country and take out the under 23 team

BruinLVGA and Jablkon like this.
  17. jonas2244

jonas2244 Registered User

Suri? Add Rathgeb and Praplan to that list.

18. swissexpert

swissexpert Registered User

I was just listing some names on top of my head, who knows which players will ever play in the big league.
    Suri once had an NHL contract but it doesn't sound too realistic anymore, you're right.

19. Partagas

Partagas Registered User

I mean should be pretty clear wo is 7th in world cup: swi is 7th in iihf ranking, more nhl as the others country (Germany,Denmark,Slovakia or Latvia) 2 silver medal at the Iihf Worlds in the last 5 years. Germanys silver medal at the last Olympics without Nhl players is less worth.

BruinLVGA likes this.
  20. BruinLVGA

BruinLVGA Bruins paladin by choice Sponsor

We are too. In football, Switzerland has quite a strong team & many Swiss players play in the top leagues.

Matte99 likes this.
  21. salamandra

salamandra Registered User

This year 14 slovak players have played almost one game in NHL. Thats just one less like swiss. Next season Cernak, Pospisil and Studenic will play in AHL.
    Some very good players in europe: Hrivik, Viedensky, Kristof, Cajkovsky, Ceresnak, Zaborsky, Reway, Hudacek, Krivosik.
    New talents like Ruzicka, Bucek, Roman, Fehervary, Bodak, Cajkovic, Hrehorcak.

22. OvermanKingGainer

OvermanKingGainer #FreeBennett #CurseofTheSpulll

Space Pirate
    Team Europe and Team NA were literally the highlights of World Cup 2016. Team NA was exciting AF and Team Europe against all odds was Carey Price GodMode away from winning the whole thing.

I say that as a Canadian.

Morrison likes this.
  23. NyQuil

NyQuil Not Steve Yzerman

I'm not speaking about their on-ice performance as much as it made a mockery of an international tournament.

If Team Europe won, I'm sure "Europeans" would have been really proud when they played the "European anthem" while the "European flag - those countries that represented themselves" was raised to the rafters.

The end result was meaningless as far as a best-on-best measuring stick goes.

The US in particular were critically handicapped by the existence of Team NA.

Faterson likes this.
  24. cg98

cg98 Registered User

The Swiss should more than likely be at the next WCoH. This is the best shape Swiss hockey has been in for a while. Lots of solid young players developing well in their domestic league and translating it to international competition. Hischier in his prime will help too. If the Swiss dumped as much money into their junior development programs as they do with their domestic league theyd probably take over the Czechs spot in the big 6 within a few years.

25. JETZZZ

JETZZZ Registered User

It makes you wonder why the NHL even wants to host a world cup in the first place. If they want to put together a pre season all star tournament, they should just do that. Make a best of 7 series with team Europe vs North America. They can use the same logos and uniforms from the gimmick teams in 2016, plaster them with ads to maximize revenue, play games in Beijing, then pat themselves on the back for "promoting their brand" overseas.
    If they want to make a best-on-best international tournament, the 2 things they actually need is to have are national teams and 0 restrictions on rosters. Unfortunately, the NHL could not do either of these in 2016, and probably will find another way to screw it up in 2020.

BruinLVGA and Jon Riley like this.