Team Switzerland must play in World Cup20?

Dijay

May 10, 2013
Versus A teams?
I'm not sure the A swiss team can compete.
Maybe in 5 years if we can keep producing 1st and/or 2nd rounders every years.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
Versus A teams?
I'm not sure the A swiss team can compete.
Maybe in 5 years if we can keep producing 1st and/or 2nd rounders every years.

Switzerland beat Canada and the Czechs at the Olympics 2006, went to shootout vs. Canada in 2010 and beat the Czechs in Sotchi 2014 (and lost 0-1 to Sweden).

Dijay

May 10, 2013
Switzerland beat Canada and the Czechs at the Olympics 2006, went to shootout vs. Canada in 2010 and beat the Czechs in Sotchi 2014 (and lost 0-1 to Sweden).
Yes i know.
The Czechs are beatable, but vs top 5 and team NA it could be a bloodbath.
The Canada game to 2010 Olympics was the game of hiller' life. I'm certainly pessimistic, but to me it's too early.

filip85

Feb 7, 2017
Hard to take this years Olympics seriously, might as well flip a coin for most of the matches

I am talking about 2006. They also tied Canada in Vancouver Olympics.

And one more thing, Swiss at World Cup could ice WAY better team than Germany iced in 1996 and 2004.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
The best way to settle it would be for Germany and Switzerland to play a best of three playoff in September 2019. Won't happen though.

Bettman will probably want to continue with his Team Europe/Team North America monstrosity.

King Weber

Apr 9, 2015
Switzerland could make a pretty good team from their NHL and NLA players right now, not to mention in 2020 when they could have young promising guys like Nussbaumer, Kurashev and Eggenberger on the roster too.

Them, along with Denmark, Germany and Latvia should all definitely have their own teams next time around.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
I've always said that a true World Cup should have 24 teams in it. A 9 vs. 24 qualifying tournament first and then a 16 team group tournament. By doing that you'd showcase how many nations that play hockey.

As to the Swiss they're one of the 3 or 4 nations that is in contention for that 7th spot behind the Big 6. Their silver performance at the Worlds proves that even more.

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
No one likes Team Europe and Team NA.

I’d rather see Andorra and Madagascar than Team Europe and Team NA.
Team North America was amazing. Their games should be released on Blu-Ray.

And I was pulling for Team Europe in the final.

Switzerland (and why not Germany?) should get teams in too, if it only fits the schedules of Euro leagues. I think the big issue here is the conflict in schedules. It's an NHL tournament, meant for NHLPA players. Inviting too many non-PA players defeats the purpose. And who gets paid? The league and the PA were supposed to split the profits, but when there's outside players what happens?

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
As to the Swiss they're one of the 3 or 4 nations that is in contention for that 7th spot behind the Big 6. Their silver performance at the Worlds proves that even more.

The world-ranking shows a pretty clear picture.

4. USA & Finland 3765 Pts.
6. Czech Republic 3690 Pts.
7. Switzerland 3590 Pts.
8. Germany 3575 Pts
----
9. Norway 3270 Pts.
10. Slovakia 3245 Pts.

The gap between Germany and Norway is huge.

ES

Feb 14, 2004
Finland
The best way to settle it would be for Germany and Switzerland to play a best of three playoff in September 2019. Won't happen though.

Bettman will probably want to continue with his Team Europe/Team North America monstrosity.

Switzerland is right now better than Slovakia. In general and on NHL level. Clearly #7 what it comes to players. Germany, Slovakia and Denmark are behind and they could battle out on last spot.

Matte99

May 23, 2010
Stockholm
Its worrying that one now have to take Switzerland seriously... This was a loooong evening with a lot of stress.:eek:
Shouldn't you be skiing, making chocolate or at least focus on football? :huh:
Its always nice to see other countries than the usual big 6 play in WHC but not when you playing that good. :naughty:

Johnny Tomala

Jan 24, 2017
I hope there is no 2020 World Cup of Hockey. It doesn't count to IIHF World Ranking, it's not proper tournament for me. IIHF WC even without best players available > something with Team NA or Team Europe in it. Proper countries, not created teams.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
I hope there is no 2020 World Cup of Hockey. It doesn't count to IIHF World Ranking, it's not proper tournament for me. IIHF WC even without best players available > something with Team NA or Team Europe in it. Proper countries, not created teams.

The formula for the World Cup has not been set yet. Hopefully it will be a normal tournament.

Reactions: kabidjan18

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad