Olympics: Team Sweden Defense 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

arshonagon

Nov 16, 2009
Victoria, BC
By 2014 a lot of the mainstays of Swedens defense for a long time will most likely not be competing. Ohlund and Lidstrom will most likely be gone. Pretty obvious this is inspired by the team Canada thread. So who do you think makes the team in 2014?

Enstrom-Edler
Karlsson-Kronwall
Hedman-Hjalmarsson
Murray

Here is what my prediction is.

El_Loco_Avs

Jul 6, 2003
The Netherlands
By 2014 a lot of the mainstays of Swedens defense for a long time will most likely not be competing. Ohlund and Lidstrom will most likely be gone. Pretty obvious this is inspired by the team Canada thread. So who do you think makes the team in 2014?

Enstrom-Edler
Karlsson-Kronwall
Hedman-Hjalmarsson
Murray

Here is what my prediction is.

Larsson?

smokes lets go

Oct 18, 2008
the swedes will be hard to predict since there are so many young d-man (Hedman, OEL, Karlsson, Larsson, etc.) and we don't know how they'll develop.

arshonagon

Nov 16, 2009
Victoria, BC
I went with the two young guys of the four young Swedes I considered (OEL Larsson Hedman Karlsson) that I felt would be the best of the four in 3 years. I contemplated taking 3 or 4 of them but thought that the Swedish brass in general does not take a lot of very young players.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
Swedes produce quite a bit of all-round dmen. I'd expect Erixon to be up there too because his game is a bit more rounded than some of the other younger guys but yeah, I can see the prospects displacing Hjalmarsson and possibly even Kronwall/Murray as they'll be slightly older by then.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
There can be kids drafted in the next year or two who could be on any Olympic roster. It's pretty dumb to try to do it now.

LiveeviL

No unique points
Jan 5, 2009
Sweden
the swedes will be hard to predict since there are so many young d-man (Hedman, OEL, Karlsson, Larsson, etc.) and we don't know how they'll develop.

That's true. All you mention seems to have high potential. I could see a rather young line-up, perhaps with some veteran in just for the sake of stability.

(age 2014)
Enström (29) -Edler (27)
Karlsson (23) -Murray (33)
Hedman (23)- Strålman (27)
OEL (22)

At least one heavy guy/pairing. One veteran who also can beat up people who do not behave.

Murray and Strålman with least potential, but they are still ok players. The rest of them can be #1 D-men on their teams in 3 years (except OEL if he does not have a real good development or Yandle get traded).

A rather young Defense, on the verge on being to young - but the potential skill is so high for this squad so it would be worth a try.

Tumsh

Jun 26, 2007
Anyone drafted 2012 or later will likely not make it by 2014, sort of like Hedman for 2010 (which was the correct decision). Karlsson, OEL, and Hedman (am I forgetting someone) will all have a good shot at making it if they keep on improving.

People like A. Larsson and Erixon are harder to predict, as they will have "intermediate" experience, but it may be risky to rely on 21ish year olds to defend during the Olympics.

I think Enstrom and Edler will be there. I think they're top 6 Swedish defense-men now and I don't see enough players from the younger ones getting better than them by the time 2014 rolls around. Kronwall has a good shot too, since he will be able to provide a veteran presence (OG gold, Cup). I hope they don't bring Murray along. While I like him as a player, he's not skilled enough to play the "Swedish" game.

Also, it will depend on if they bring 7 or 8 guys. I hope they don't go for 8 again :shakehead as I would prefer if there was room to replace a gamble forward like Weinhandl (sp) who didn't work out at all last Olympics. Had they had 7 D and brought Samuelsson, they could have sat Weinhandl and they may have made it to the Semis at least.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Enstrom and Edler will be the backbone in 2014 imo, starting to reach prime age. Kronwall will likely be a veteran on the team too(not that I think he will be bad by then, he might be better than he is now). After that it's hard to predict, so many young first rounders right now + Hjalmarsson that are really hard to predict where they'll be at in three years. But I doubt Murray, Tallinder and those middle aged players are good enough to crack the top7 over those young and coming players by then. The new generation will be the core from now on.

KRM

Jun 9, 2005
Gothenburg
The way Rundblad's killing it in the SEL, he should also be given some consideration.

If tearing up the SEL is the entry criteria former NHL superstar Cristian Bäckman is a shoe in. He has better ppg avarage then future NHL superstar David Rundblad.

See what I did there? :sarcasm:

arshonagon

Nov 16, 2009
Victoria, BC
If tearing up the SEL is the entry criteria former NHL superstar Cristian Bäckman is a shoe in. He has better ppg avarage then future NHL superstar David Rundblad.

He does bring up a good point though. There is often a few Swedish players from the SEL on the Olympic team.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007

No...he doesn't...I must be missing your point. Rundblad has 44 points in 50 games or whatever it is, when did Backman do that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad