TEAM SPEED: How would you evaluate ours?

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
If you mark Karlsson as ++speed, you have to do the same for Greening, Turris and probably Conacher.

In the Sens skills competetion Greening/Karlsson/Turris and Michalek were all within microseconds of eachother if I can recall.

None of those players have the same acceleration as Karlsson. Acceleration is very important in a game situation unlike some skills competition. You look at Greening, sure according to some skills competition he can skate a lap as quick if not faster then karlsson but you watch a game and he can't get the same separation as Karlsson.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
5 Fastest players in order from watching everygame last few seasons

Karlsson, Conacher, Turris, Pageau, MacArthur

HM Greening(not in games tho)

Berserker*

Our passing is the issue, not our skating speed. The D aren't getting the puck to the forwards fast enough, which is leading to turnovers in the defensive and neutral zone or at the very least forces the forwards to stop at the blueline. Therefore the forwards either have to skate it out of our zone (like Zibanejad and Smith have done effectively so far) or wait at the blueline for the defense to skate it up the ice and dump it in deep.

We are not working well as a unit and that is why our speed is hampered.

koreaboy

Oct 14, 2010
i think that's part of it. but there are too many times when:

-our forwards on the attack get caught from behind
-we aren't fast enough to get separation out of our zone

that might be partly systemic, but it almost might be because some of our guys aren't quick enough. i'm still not totally convinced we are a "slow" team, but patterns are starting to emerge and we don't look quick in a lot of situations.

Tampacuseforever

Nov 3, 2012
i think that's part of it. but there are too many times when:

-our forwards on the attack get caught from behind
-we aren't fast enough to get separation out of our zone

that might be partly systemic, but it almost might be because some of our guys aren't quick enough. i'm still not totally convinced we are a "slow" team, but patterns are starting to emerge and we don't look quick in a lot of situations.

Could this not be a confidence problem ? Players have a tendency to think too much when the are lacking in confidence, and that split second indecision can be the difference between playing with pace, and missing on passes. I was glad last night that Stache stuck with consistent line combo's and now with the better schedule hopefully the guys can get some confidence back and start playing to there capabilities.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
Spezza: average
Michalek: average
Ryan: average
Turris: + speed
MacArthur: + speed
Conacher: + speed
Z-bad: + speed
Smith: average
Neil: below average speed
condra: average speed
greening: + speed, when he wants.
pageau: + speed
kassian: cant skate

karlsson: ++speed
methot: just above average speed
wiercioch: average
Phillips: average
cowen:average
corvo: average
gryba: slow

SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa
Our passing is the issue, not our skating speed. The D aren't getting the puck to the forwards fast enough, which is leading to turnovers in the defensive and neutral zone or at the very least forces the forwards to stop at the blueline. Therefore the forwards either have to skate it out of our zone (like Zibanejad and Smith have done effectively so far) or wait at the blueline for the defense to skate it up the ice and dump it in deep.

We are not working well as a unit and that is why our speed is hampered.

I agree with a lot of this. The forwards are looking to stretch the opponents D out at the expense of supporting them with an outlet.

It would be nice to see a 5-man unit moving up and down the rink.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad