Team Slovakia Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
Reilly311 said:
Esche, Dipietro, or Duhnam are not any better than whoever Slovakia throws out there. Playing in Philly has proven that they can make any average goaltender look good. Esche is cleary USA best goaltender, but he's done nothing more internationally than any goalie Slovakia throws out there.

Czech Republic has Vokoun. I think people are forgetting that. Nabokov is just as good as Khabby. Not having Salo in net actually might be a plus for Sweden.

I am going to watch Cdn vs USA and Cdn vs USA. I think the Slovaks are the biggest threat to Canada in their pool, Can't wait to watch Slovakia, Go HAndzuz !
By the way, I watched pretty much every Flyer game this year, I was not a Esche believer at first, BUT he changed my opinion, Esche is alot better than the Slovaks goalies, Put Esche on SLovakia and they would be a Contender, Wit Lasak, they will be just a good, highly offensive team !

PPquarterback

Jun 2, 2004
Bratislava
You guys tend to judge a player by one and only criteria - playing in the NHL. That could be a bit missleading.

On these boards, slovaks are considered as a team with non-existing goaltending. but to me, the goalie who took the team to 3 world championship medals during past 4 years can not be that bad.

Lasak is simply tournament goalie and is extremly effective when motivated and feeling confidence from the team. This was not the case in NHL so his rare appearence in Preds uniform was not a proper test of his skills. Give this guy a chance, tell him he is the man and he will stand on his head to win it all for you.

Just my 2 cents.

palsoft

Apr 11, 2004
Bratislava
www.hockey-live.sk
PPquarterback said:
You guys tend to judge a player by one and only criteria - playing in the NHL. That could be a bit missleading.

On these boards, slovaks are considered as a team with non-existing goaltending. but to me, the goalie who took the team to 3 world championship medals during past 4 years can not be that bad.

Lasak is simply tournament goalie and is extremly effective when motivated and feeling confidence from the team. This was not the case in NHL so his rare appearence in Preds uniform was not a proper test of his skills. Give this guy a chance, tell him he is the man and he will stand on his head to win it all for you.

Just my 2 cents.

That's really nice written. Just my words :D

HF2002

Aug 20, 2003
Ottawa
Visit site
PPquarterback said:

Just my 2 cents.

I agree that at any moment, and in a tournament, a goalie can get hot. That being said, Lasak is not going to be a hero at this tournament.

If your argument is that he doesn't need to play in the NHL to prove he's a goalie worthy of this tournament, then you are mistaken. If he can't catch on as a starter in the NHL (a recent expansion team at that!) then he cannot be considered up there with the other goalies at the tournament. He might steal a game if he's having the game of his life and they're playing Germany, but how confident are you with him in the net if he's facing a Canadian PP first unit with Pronger and Niedermayer on the point and Heatly, Lemieux and Iginla up front. Unit 2 could be Redden and Jovanovski, and Thornton, Doan and Sakic? This means that the NHL mvp and Art Ross winner from last year isn't even on the ice. Lasak hasn't seen this quality in practice let alone in a game. Brodeur has, and so has Luongo.

Chara's good, but he's not that good. I understand what you're saying if you are just referring to an average NHL goalie compared to Lasak. But in this tournament? No way.

PPquarterback

Jun 2, 2004
Bratislava
HF2002 said:
I agree that at any moment, and in a tournament, a goalie can get hot. That being said, Lasak is not going to be a hero at this tournament.

If your argument is that he doesn't need to play in the NHL to prove he's a goalie worthy of this tournament, then you are mistaken. If he can't catch on as a starter in the NHL (a recent expansion team at that!) then he cannot be considered up there with the other goalies at the tournament. He might steal a game if he's having the game of his life and they're playing Germany, but how confident are you with him in the net if he's facing a Canadian PP first unit with Pronger and Niedermayer on the point and Heatly, Lemieux and Iginla up front. Unit 2 could be Redden and Jovanovski, and Thornton, Doan and Sakic? This means that the NHL mvp and Art Ross winner from last year isn't even on the ice. Lasak hasn't seen this quality in practice let alone in a game. Brodeur has, and so has Luongo.

Chara's good, but he's not that good. I understand what you're saying if you are just referring to an average NHL goalie compared to Lasak. But in this tournament? No way.

Good points, hf'02.

Anyway, I was saying that when he (Lasak) was given the chance (WCH '00 - '04) he was able to perform on much higher level than expected by NHL fans. Not many have seen his stellar play in Stockholm '02, but he was facing top notch NHL talent there and did not look shaky at all.

As for Chara - I'm not sure what you mean, but if we are talking about slovak defence I agree that there are some gaps. At least there will be no bored/disinclined stars used to have first pairing duties in their NHL teams with 12-15 min. icetime in World Cup games :D

HF2002

Aug 20, 2003
Ottawa
Visit site
PPquarterback said:
Good points, hf'02.

Anyway, I was saying that when he (Lasak) was given the chance (WCH '00 - '04) he was able to perform on much higher level than expected by NHL fans. Not many have seen his stellar play in Stockholm '02, but he was facing top notch NHL talent there and did not look shaky at all.

As for Chara - I'm not sure what you mean, but if we are talking about slovak defence I agree that there are some gaps. At least there will be no bored/disinclined stars used to have first pairing duties in their NHL teams with 12-15 min. icetime in World Cup games :D

In reference to Chara, that was my mistake. Someone had said that with Chara on the blue line he'll make up for a lot of mistakes that the goalie might fall victim to if he wasn't there. Chara's an awesome player, but if he couldn't cover Lalime's butt with a strong team in Ottawa there's no way he'll do it for Lasak either.

palsoft

Apr 11, 2004
Bratislava
www.hockey-live.sk
HF2002 said:
In reference to Chara, that was my mistake. Someone had said that with Chara on the blue line he'll make up for a lot of mistakes that the goalie might fall victim to if he wasn't there. Chara's an awesome player, but if he couldn't cover Lalime's butt with a strong team in Ottawa there's no way he'll do it for Lasak either.
Last World Championships proved that Chara and also other def-mens is working hard in front of Lasak. I think, there will be no problem at World Cup too.

McThome

Aug 12, 2003
Edmonton
www.geocities.com
The poor handeling of the Olympic situation last year, IMO, is the only reason there is no longer a "big five". IMO it is and will quite soon be reckogized as the "big six". As far as elite talent goes - they're definately above average in "the big six". They're still a growing hockey nation however, so the high quality depth doesn't exist yet - it will come, and when that does, I'm sure it will give birth to what could over time become one of the most heated rivalries in Europe. Currently, the Canada/USA is the biggest IMO because of the last World Cup and the Olympics. But really, there are ALOT anyways I guess....

PPquarterback

Jun 2, 2004
Bratislava
thome_26 said:
The poor handeling of the Olympic situation last year, IMO, is the only reason there is no longer a "big five". IMO it is and will quite soon be reckogized as the "big six". As far as elite talent goes - they're definately above average in "the big six". They're still a growing hockey nation however, so the high quality depth doesn't exist yet - it will come, and when that does, I'm sure it will give birth to what could over time become one of the most heated rivalries in Europe. Currently, the Canada/USA is the biggest IMO because of the last World Cup and the Olympics. But really, there are ALOT anyways I guess....

which team did you exclude from "big seven"? just curious...

palsoft

Apr 11, 2004
Bratislava
www.hockey-live.sk
mach777 said:
Can anyone post a sample lineup?

They should have a pretty good team...
(F) BARTECKO Lubos
(F) SATAN Miroslav
(F) PALFFY Zigmund
(F) STUMPEL Jozef
(F) GABORIK Marian
(F) NAGY Ladislav
(F) HOSSA Marian
(F) BONDRA Peter
(F) HANDZUS Michal
(F) SOMIK Radovan
(F) RADIVOJEVIC Branko
(F) DEMITRA Pavol
(F) ZEDNIK Richard
(F) ORSZAGH Vladimir
(F) HLINKA Miroslav
(D) VISNOVSKY Lubomir
(D) SUCHY Radoslav
(D) LINTNER Richard
(D) MEZEI Branislav
(D) MAJESKY Ivan
(D) STRBAK Martin
(D) CHARA Zdeno
(D) OBSUT Jaroslav
(G) LASAK Jan
(G) STANA Rastislav
(G) BUDAJ Peter

McThome

Aug 12, 2003
Edmonton
www.geocities.com
PPquarterback said:
which team did you exclude from "big seven"? just curious...

Oops, lol, ya - what I meant was the big six would turn into the big seven ;)

Either way, you got my drift about the Slovaks moving up in the hockey worlds hierarchy.

12# Peter Bondra

Apr 15, 2004
I think the lines will be like this:

1st line: Bondra-Stumpel-Palffy This line was made by Filc in the 2002 WC's and it was great. Great chemistry.
2nd line: Gaborik/Zednik-Demitra-Hossa I know Gaborik is RW but these know each other and play good together. Demitra and Hossa will be together, not sure about the LW position though. Maybe Zednik too.
3rd line: Bartecko-Handzus-Satan The line which was great at the 2000 WC's. Satan and Handzus have great chemistry. Not sure about the LW position though.
4th line: Orzsagh-Hlinka-Nagy The wingers have GREAT chemistry. I thought he would nominate Pavlikovsky as they were great in the 2002 WC's.

Note: You see I go mainly by chemistry. These lines could be WAY off too.

1st pairing: Visnovsky-Strbak They have played together for a long time and know each other. But could be changed as none of them is a physical D.
2nd pairing: Chara-Lintner Chara will back up Lintners offensive tours and guard him.
3rd pairing: Suchy-Mezei/Majesky: The 3rd pairing I dont know really but Suchy will be in.

Lasak
Stana
Budaj

These lines were good in the WC's, meaning European rules and rinks. Maybe Filc will change the lines as we are going to play in NA and NHL rules.

12# Peter Bondra

Apr 15, 2004
Gaborik is a puck hog though. He was a BIG one during this years WC's. He was on a line with Stumpel and Satan and he almost always went alone. I hope he can play more for the team during the WC.

12# Peter Bondra

Apr 15, 2004
Tricolore#20 said:
So whats the latest on Richard Zednik's status? Has he been skating with the team in all the practices?
I dont know but Handzus was injured. He has some muscle problems in his arms. They say that PHI will decide how he will be cured. He may have an operation or play in the WC but not 100%. He probably wont play any more preseason games. The PHI's decision will be important.

Note: I doubt they let him play. It will be better for them if he doesnt play so we have smaller chances and he gets cured.. But I hope he does play.

Zednik is skating with the team and everything BTW. :)

McThome

Aug 12, 2003
Edmonton
www.geocities.com
Handzus would be a HUGE loss for Slovakia IMO. They could afford to lose a sniper type like Zednik, Bondra, Gaborik, or Satan because they have lots of them. They only have one Handzus type player.

12# Peter Bondra

Apr 15, 2004
thome_26 said:
Handzus would be a HUGE loss for Slovakia IMO. They could afford to lose a sniper type like Zednik, Bondra, Gaborik, or Satan because they have lots of them. They only have one Handzus type player.
I agree. A good defensive center. Our best defensive forward.

blah

Jun 24, 2003
http://hokej.point.sk/spravy/?clanok=30776
O Handzušovej lieèbe rozhodne jeho zamestnávate¾

Slovenská hokejová reprezentácia pripravujúca sa na Svetový pohár
pokraèovala po nede¾nom zápase so Švédskom (0:2) v pondelok v
tréningovom procese.

"Okrem zraneného Michala Handzuša trénovalo celé mužstvo na ¾ade,"
prezradil tlaèový hovorca slovenského tímu Igor Teleky. Stredný
útoèník Philadelphie Handzuš pre zranenie proti Švédsku ani nedohral.

O jeho aktuálnom zdravotnom stave informoval lekár mužstva Dalimír
Janèoviè: "Michal absolvoval v pondelok predpoludním vyšetrenie
magnetickou rezonanciou. Potvrdili sa naše predpovede o povahe a
vážnosti jeho zranenia. Ide o poškodenie svalových vlákien v ramene.
Momentálne pripravujem správu o HandzuÅ¡ovom zdravotnom stave pre jeho zamestnávate¾a. S lekármi Philadelphie sa chceme dohodnú na postupe ïalÅ¡ej lieèby. Prípravné súboje pravdepodobne neabsolvuje. Âažko sa vyjadriÂ, èi bude môc odohra Svetový pohár. Pri spôsobe lieèby máme dve možnosti. Môžeme postupova konzervatívnou lieèbou, ale do úvahy prichádza aj operácia. Dôležité bude rozhodnutie jeho klubu."
Can anybody translate? TIA.

PPquarterback

Jun 2, 2004
Bratislava
12# Peter Bondra said:
I agree. A good defensive center. Our best defensive forward.

Not only that. The Slovaks are quite short on center position so loosing one of them would be a huuuuge blow. Stumpel is not even half a player when missing Palffy so there would be one more line without a natural center's skills.

On the top of that, Zeus always plays a little different style when playing for the SVK squad - he's trying to get back to his St.Louis' times :handclap: when used to cycling game with fellow Slovaks on the line. His underrated creativity would be really missed (especially after Ziggy's scratch).

Anyway, Zeus is a tough guy and I believe his injured biceps will be cured enough to let him play. :yo: (hopefully no politics from the Flyers' side will occure :teach: )

12# Peter Bondra

Apr 15, 2004
PPquarterback said:
Not only that. The Slovaks are quite short on center position so loosing one of them would be a huuuuge blow. Stumpel is not even half a player when missing Palffy so there would be one more line without a natural center's skills.

On the top of that, Zeus always plays a little different style when playing for the SVK squad - he's trying to get back to his St.Louis' times :handclap: when used to cycling game with fellow Slovaks on the line. His underrated creativity would be really missed (especially after Ziggy's scratch).

Anyway, Zeus is a tough guy and I believe his injured biceps will be cured enough to let him play. :yo: (hopefully no politics from the Flyers' side will occure :teach: )
In short, it would be a huge loss. I hope he overcomes the injury and plays for us.

Kronblom

Nov 27, 2002
Stockholm
palsoft said:
Put or ask something interesting :)
I would like to know the number of games played for the national team for each player on the roster, before or after yesterdays game against Sweden. Slovakia and/or Czechosloavkia.

A swedish newspaper (Aftonbladet...) have made their own World Cup-guide listing every player with vital data. According to them Peter Bondra has only played 22 games but that can´t be right, can it? And Visnovsky with 53 or 115 games?

LASAK Jan - ?
STANA Rastislav - ?
BUDAJ Peter - ?

VISNOVSKY Lubomir - ?
SUCHY Radoslav - ?
LINTNER Richard - ?
MEZEI Branislav - ?
MAJESKY Ivan - ?
STRBAK Martin - ?
CHARA Zdeno - ?
OBSUT Jaroslav - ?

BARTECKO Lubos - ?