Olympics: Team Slovakia OG Qualification roster

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
Now there is another highlight tournament in a few months for us, Slovakia fans (and also for Latvia and Norway).

Will Zdeno Chara play in summer? Will be Andrej Sekera nominated? And how about Nemec, Slafkovsky, Knazko. Can they be there? This is very important tournament, there isnt any room for tests.

Reactions: Faterson

tobu

Jan 10, 2013
Bratislava, Slovakia
Here is my shot at the roster.

Halak
Huska
Hudacek

Sekera - Cernak
Chara - Fehervary
Jaros - Cajkovsky
Daloga - Knazko

(Nemec, Ceresnak, Rosandic)

Tatar - Hrivik - Cehlarik
Lantosi - Kristof - Panik
Jurco - Ruzicka - Studenic
Bakos - M. Pospisil - Slafkovsky

(L. Hudacek, K. Pospisil, Cajkovic, Skalicky, Kelemen)

Just assuming everyone is healthy. Who to cut is a difficult choice though and am unsure about 3rd and 4th line centers.

Chara-3

May 7, 2007
Halak
Konrad
Latkoczy

(Not impressed by Huska on WCH, Konrad was very good until he got injured)

Sekera - Cernak
Fehervary - Jaros
Gernat - Marincin
Daloga

(Chara??, Nemec, Knazko)

Lantosi - Hrivik - Cehlarik (best line we had in ages, no need to change)
Tatar - Ruzicka - Panik
Studenic - Kristof - Hudacek
Pospisil - Slafkovsky - Liska - Liska is there because guys like Dano or Bakos won't be willing to play 4th line

(Chromiak, Bakos, Dano, Jurco, Martin Pospisil, Okuliar - lot of variations for 3rd and 4th line)

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
Which country hosts this tournament btw? If the crowd is let in then, which I assume, it could produce a big home advantage to one team.

Urbanskog

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Helsinki
Which country hosts this tournament btw? If the crowd is let in then, which I assume, it could produce a big home advantage to one team.
It's not one tournament, it's three final qualification groups playing in three separate locations. Group D plays in Slovakia, Group E in Latvia and Group F in Norway. The men's qualification games started already back in November 2019 with the pre-qualification tournaments in China and Luxembourg.

Reactions: Mestaruus

elMatador

Feb 20, 2008
Here is my shot at the roster.

Halak
Huska
Hudacek

Hudacek is done. Announced his retirement today from the national team after he was not selected as a starter in the QF game. Just like his brother, having a primadonna attitude, who thinks is entitled to a different treatment than the rest of the team.

Reactions: Elvs and tobu

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
It's not one tournament, it's three final qualification groups playing in three separate locations. Group D plays in Slovakia, Group E in Latvia and Group F in Norway. The men's qualification games started already back in November 2019 with the pre-qualification tournaments in China and Luxembourg.

Sounds like a fair system then as it should be for an Olympic tournament.

Ivo

Dec 29, 2008
Rotterdam, NL
Really curious about Chara. If he wants to play, I guess he should be nominated since he still is a regular NHLer and his leadership alone has a lot of value. On the other hand, he looked very slow in the playoffs and that will be even more of a concern on big ice. Also, how does he fit into the style that the NT plays under Ramsay which is all about good skating and quick puck movement - Chara's biggest weaknesses. Maybe bring him to play a bit sheltered 5 on 5 and heavily in PK and defensive zone faceoffs? Assuming he wants to play.

Reactions: hellwar9

elMatador

Feb 20, 2008
I see Cehlarik is leading points. How has he looked?

As a bruin fan and fan of Cehlarik the concern has always been his speed/pace?

I have to say that he had a great tourny and looked better than I expected. When I look at Donato who is regular in San Jose I see no reason why Cehlarik couldn't crack the roster somewhere as well. Maybe not with a cup contender like Bruins or Avs but a middle of the pack team. Too bad he mentioned on a podcast just before the WCH that he has signed with a new team only waiting for them to announce it. My guess is it's a team in the KHL.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
I have to say that he had a great tourny and looked better than I expected. When I look at Donato who is regular in San Jose I see no reason why Cehlarik couldn't crack the roster somewhere as well. Maybe not with a cup contender like Bruins or Avs but a middle of the pack team. Too bad he mentioned on a podcast just before the WCH that he has signed with a new team only waiting for them to announce it. My guess is it's a team in the KHL.

You can't fault Cehlarik moving on from the Bruins. Odd decisions with his play time/usage by bruins. I always liked him/his skillset. Just a little slow.

elMatador

Feb 20, 2008
You can't fault Cehlarik moving on from the Bruins. Odd decisions with his play time/usage by bruins. I always liked him/his skillset. Just a little slow.

I don't blame him going to Europe. I just think he is gonna bury himself in Russia after a decent season in Sweden and a great showing at WCH. If he was a UFA maybe he would give it one more try and wait for PTO or 1 year contract. Since Bruins still own his rights I guess he just couldn't see his future with them any more.

Reactions: Blowfish

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Halak
Konrad
Latkoczy

(Not impressed by Huska on WCH, Konrad was very good until he got injured)

Sekera - Cernak
Fehervary - Jaros
Gernat - Marincin
Daloga

(Chara??, Nemec, Knazko)

Lantosi - Hrivik - Cehlarik (best line we had in ages, no need to change)
Tatar - Ruzicka - Panik
Studenic - Kristof - Hudacek
Pospisil - Slafkovsky - Liska - Liska is there because guys like Dano or Bakos won't be willing to play 4th line

(Chromiak, Bakos, Dano, Jurco, Martin Pospisil, Okuliar - lot of variations for 3rd and 4th line)

I hope you’re kidding. Latkoczy is a junior hockey player, and not even a great one. Huska is much better right now. Latkoczy may never be as good as Huska is right now.

Reactions: stastny12

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Huska does not belong in the nomination after performance he had. Even some of these other players are questionable inclusions

Thats an overreaction. The team in front of him from the game you are judging him isn’t very good and the goalie you prefer is significantly worse.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad