Team scores Empty netter but loses anyway?

MadFerIt95*

Has there ever been an instance where let's say a team is up 2-1 in a game, scores an Empty netter with maybe 45 seconds to go but gives up the lead and loses? If there has been, enlighten me.

JA

This almost happened to Vancouver against the Minnesota Wild on April 4, 2010.

Here's the box score:

http://canucks.nhl.com/gamecenter/en/boxscore?id=2009021178

Alex Edler scored an empty net goal to give the Canucks a 3-1 lead with 55 seconds remaining in the third period. In the ensuing thirty-six seconds, the Wild scored twice to tie the game at 3-3. The game reached overtime. Fortunately for the Canucks, Sami Salo scored the OT winner.

Skip to 6:15 to watch all of this unfold.

Last edited by a moderator:

PerpetualTankYear

Doan 3:16
Mar 27, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
I remember once the Coyotes scored 2 empty betters, and let in 2 goals in the last minute.

Minnesota pulled the goalie when it was 2-1, and the game ended at 4-3 a minute later...

Machinehead

GoAwayKakko
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
The Rangers gave up a goal after their empty netter tonight, but the empty netter made it 5-1, so tree in the forest I guess... :laugh:

Reactions: lottster14

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
Traditionally coaches have been too conservative and haven't pulled their goalies early enough. I think Patrick Roy may have started something last season, pulling the goalie with more time (because it's a statistically sound move).

We may see this happen in the future, but based on the thread it doesn't appear to have happened.

That Patrik Stefan goal tho...

MadFerIt95*

This almost happened to Vancouver against the Minnesota Wild on April 4, 2010.

Here's the box score:

http://canucks.nhl.com/gamecenter/en/boxscore?id=2009021178

Alex Edler scored an empty net goal to give the Canucks a 3-1 lead with 55 seconds remaining in the third period. In the ensuing thirty-six seconds, the Wild scored twice to tie the game at 3-3. The game reached overtime. Fortunately for the Canucks, Sami Salo scored the OT winner.

Skip to 6:15 to watch all of this unfold.

This is pretty much what I was looking for. If the Flyers gave up 2 goals like that I would have lost my **** haha

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->