Team Russia's Lines Announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

shawn_kemp*

who_me? said:
I think that I do recall him saying that he would rather play for Team USA, but I'm not certain.
2 months ago he said he'd never play for any other country, but that his international career was over. He also mentionned he'd be cheering for the Russians.

two out of three*

If I'm AO I would be kinda pissed that I'm one of the best players in the NHL playing on line #4.

Moosetache

Jul 25, 2005
Raleigh, NC
skk_82 said:
i can't wait to see those three. afinogenov very well may be the fastest skater in the olympics (and the big surface) and ovechkin, of course, is no slouch himself. they'll be opening up a ton of room for malkin to be dishing passes.

BTW....Afinogenov couldnt outskate Niclas Wallin on Sunday (Hurricanes big defenseman). I am positive he is not even in the top 5 fastest guys on this team, let alone the entire Olympics.

TOPGUN

I Am Terrible!
Jul 31, 2005
Holland
who_me? said:
Zubov refused to play in the last Olympics for Russia too. Fetisov mentioned once that Zubov had issues with the Russian hockey federation or something, but he became a US citizen a while back and just doesn't seem to want to play for Russia anymore. I think that I do recall him saying that he would rather play for Team USA, but I'm not certain.

didn't know that, thanks

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
FaceoffsRLikeWins4Us said:
If I'm AO I would be kinda pissed that I'm one of the best players in the NHL playing on line #4.
There is no damn forth line. There are just four lines. It's the same for each country. There is no way that you could have anything which isn't like that for these contries. Most of these players could be first line players in the NHL. They just have to be listed in one order or another.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Didn't Ovechkin play with Datsyuk for Dynamo?

I'm eager to see him play with Malkin, but I kind of hoped it would be with someone with a little more experience.

As far as the line combinations, the Russians will probably end up sending out the vets the most like usual.

Rico Fatastic

Jul 28, 2002
I don't think it really is the 4th line. IMO, that's the 2nd best line on the team, and I think that will reflect in their icetime.

One thing I'm wondering about is Kovalev as captain. Don't get me wrong, he's a good player and a good guy and all, but I just don't see him as the type to captain a team, especially an Olympic team. Although looking on the roster, I don't think I really see a much better option. I think Ovechkin may get the C 4 years from now, but I'm kind of surprised that Russia doesn't have a better alternative at this point. But that could just be the "Euros don't make good captains" mentality sneaking out.

JonathanK

McOptimistic
Aug 1, 2005
Edmonton, AB
Enlighten Me

So are Sushinky and the other non-NHLers in the lineup in the RSL because they aren't good enough for the NHL or are they like some others (eg.Tverdovsky before this year) in the fact that they just chose the RSL over the NHL? Sorry if Sushinsky is a prospect for an NHL team, I don't know. Maybe attach some stats as well if you would like to.

Jeffrey

Feb 2, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
asab said:
I don't think it really is the 4th line. IMO, that's the 2nd best line on the team, and I think that will reflect in their icetime.

One thing I'm wondering about is Kovalev as captain. Don't get me wrong, he's a good player and a good guy and all, but I just don't see him as the type to captain a team, especially an Olympic team. Although looking on the roster, I don't think I really see a much better option. I think Ovechkin may get the C 4 years from now, but I'm kind of surprised that Russia doesn't have a better alternative at this point. But that could just be the "Euros don't make good captains" mentality sneaking out.
Kovalev is an underrated leader !
he always try to help the others.. he speak perfect english and russian(obviously) which help in international competition like this !
he's also well respected around the league!
IMO he was an obvious choice !

Kronblom

Nov 27, 2002
Stockholm
asab said:

Alexei Kovalev was the captain at the last World Championships as well, apparently a favourite of coach Krikunov.

http://live82.ihwc.net/player/RUS/player.IHRUS12402197303.php?replace

Slitty

Oct 23, 2005
CuJo#31 said:
Question:

Why is Zubov not playing in the Olympics?

Some mysterious incident at a party in 1996, rumoured to have included a drunk Steblin and Zubov's wife.

Slitty

Oct 23, 2005
Ovechkin_mvp said:
Who says Mogilny is done?

For all I know, they had some internal issues in NJ, Malakhov was basically forced to retire and Mogilny sent to the minors to allow Elias come back.

Yes, but before he got sent down to the minors he sucked... decent numbers... but in terms of play: not good at all. I would not replace a single right winger on the team with Mogilny... and have Morozov+Zherdev at least lined up to take the next spot before I would even think of Mogilny.

He himself said he is in a tremendous amount of pain due to his knee surgery and is basically playing on one leg. He is done... he may have the more famous name and some sentimental value... but he is done. I challange you to name a single right winger on the team who he is currently better than.

Slitty

Oct 23, 2005
helicecopter said:
I would like to add a needed 'IN YOUR OPINION’ specification if you don’t mind.
Personally I think Malkin at 19 is already better than Sushinsky by a fair margin.

Sorry sir, we will that amend that straight away:

Make that Sushsinky is better than Malkin according to about 85%-90% of Russian hockey (RSL) fans who are knowledgeable and watch RSL games much similarly to how a diehard Canadian would watch NHL games. If you dont believe the fans, dig up some interviews of Krikunov and the Russian national team's coaching staff that contain their opinions on the matter.

Its like saying Gretzky is the greatest player of alltime, some may disagree, but its accepted enough for one to not get shot in the face for not adding an IMHO to such a statement.

Slitty

Oct 23, 2005

Read the damn thread or go read the press releases and interviews some of us have bothered with... for the billionth time there is no 4th line, there are just 4 lines with arbitrary numbers so the coach can change lines by saying a number (or I suppose a colour can do since each line wears a different coloured practise jersey) instead of calling names. Russian names are hard to pronounce, at least correctly, remember?

Slitty

Oct 23, 2005
Chimaera said:
Didn't Ovechkin play with Datsyuk for Dynamo?

I'm eager to see him play with Malkin, but I kind of hoped it would be with someone with a little more experience.

As far as the line combinations, the Russians will probably end up sending out the vets the most like usual.

Same team, different lines for Dynamo.

Golden Slumbers

Dec 26, 2005
Ottawa
What a fourth line eh, craziness! I like Gonchar and Volchenkov as a D pairing, Gonchar plays enough like Redden to make it gel, IMO.

Ovechkin_mvp

Feb 6, 2006
OVECHKIN - MVP of the OLYMPICS, and that's a given

GO RUSSIA GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

p_ink_y9

Oct 9, 2005
isnt afinaganov (sp?) a rw and ovechkin a left wing, i think u got em mixed around they wouldnt play two players on their opposite wings, or would they :sarcasm:

Ovechkin_mvp

Feb 6, 2006
Moosetache said:
BTW....Afinogenov couldnt outskate Niclas Wallin on Sunday (Hurricanes big defenseman). I am positive he is not even in the top 5 fastest guys on this team, let alone the entire Olympics.

that was a pretty damn thing to say.

Afinogenov is by far faster than any American or Canadian in the NHL.

the guy just can't score it like Bure used to......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad