Team Russia's Lines Announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pushkin*

After Silver and Bronze it's time for Russia to get back where they belong and that's another Olympic Gold in hockey. Russia's gonna go 4 Golds out of 4 in Figure Skating, the biggest event in winter olympics, and Gold in the 2nd biggest as well. Look for Yashin to have a great tournament. Malkin-Afinogenov-Ovechkin will be magical !!!

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
Those lines are brutal. No balance at all.

Frolov - Kozlov - Korolyuk..........poor Frolov
Sushinsky - Yashin - Kharitonov..........poor Yashin

I'd prefer

Kovalev - Datsyuk - Korolyuk
Ovechkin - Yashin - Afinogenov
Kovalchuk - Kozlov - Frolov
Sushinsky - Malkin - Kharitonov

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
FLYLine88 said:
Nice to see Tyutin on the top pair, great experience it will be for him.
I wouldn't consider them the top pairing, they're just listed up there.

Just wondering, but are they allowed to dress as many players as they want or can they only dress 20? I see that 4th pairing is there, but can they dress those guys too?

Pushkin*

The lines are perfect. You've got your 6 most dangerous forwards on the top 2 lines. Then you have 2 nicely balanced lines that can play both ways. It's almost perfect. Only problem is Viktor Kozlov he is now as slow as Mario Lemieux was earlier this year. Maybe it's a question of desire and with the Devils he doesn't care... Let's hope he cares now. Yashin is ok with those two. You've got 2 lines that can do all the scoring and the other two might get a crucial goal sometime. The games will be tight and one goal could be crucial. I'm ok with those kind of lines.

Pushkin*

Something is very devastating though, and that's the absence of Sergei Zubov who is having a Norris Winning season right now. We could really have the perfect PP with him. Anyhow it's seems every team is missing one or two key players appart for canada and the usa. Havlat Nagy Naslund Kiprusoff Khabibulin Zubov...

The n00b King ©*

Pushkin said:
Something is very devastating though, and that's the absence of Sergei Zubov who is having a Norris Winning season right now. We could really have the perfect PP with him. Anyhow it's seems every team is missing one or two key players appart for canada and the usa. Havlat Nagy Naslund Kiprusoff Khabibulin Zubov...

Yeah, i agree. I dont understand the choosing Gonchar over Zubov. Maybe Zubov refused to go?

The Russians appear to be the most exciting team to watch. And with a defensive core that seems to me to be very good (better than what a lot of people say) i think they have the potential for gold. As a matter of fact, i hope they get the gold this year. I am Canadian but im not a big fan of some of Canada's choices this year and i think Russia just a better team overall. I mean even if only Ovechkin was really playing, i think he'd be better than any other team's goal scorer!

KH1

I would love to see Yashin play with Datsyuk and Kovalev at some point--maybe on the power play. With Datsyuk's ability to move the puck and Yashin and Kovy's wicked shots that would be a sight to see.

BTW I'm looking forward to getting a chance to see Malkin.

mrpither

Dec 1, 2005
the 'verse
MattNJD said:
Wow, thats going to be the most frustrating line (Frolov - Kozlov - Korolyuk) on earth. Way too much talent and no shots on goal...
korkie had a decent previous season - 19G and 18A, and spent a lot of time on the PK; good defensive minded fwd. he had started to flourish under ron wilson after sutter nearly drove him out of the nhl. was sorry to see him stay in russia this season (reportedly for family reasons) as it looked like he was trending toward and even better season, especially with the newly enforced rules...

Pushkin*

Never forget that in Canada there's about 550 000 hockey players and in the Usa about 450 000. Russia 75 000 Czech 70 000 Sweden 65 000 Finland 55 000 Slovakia 12 000. So it's "normal" that Canada has more "depth" although for a long time in the 90's their depth was questionable. And for 10-15 years the very best players came from Europe Jagr-Forsberg-Bure.

Ovechkin_mvp

Feb 6, 2006
These two lines look very good:

Kovalchuk - Datsyuk - Kovalev
Ovechkin - Malkin - Afinogenov

Even Canada's defence won't be able to sustain them.
Then, we have got two mediocre lines in:

Sushinsky - Yashin - Kharitonov
Frolov - Kozlov - Korolyuk

I would rather have:

Frolov- Yashin - Korolyuk

as my third line

That way, Russia get 3 top level lines

P.S: Kozlov better play some descent hockey.

Slitty

Oct 23, 2005
Zine said:
Those lines are brutal. No balance at all.

Frolov - Kozlov - Korolyuk..........poor Frolov
Sushinsky - Yashin - Kharitonov..........poor Yashin

I'd prefer

Kovalev - Datsyuk - Korolyuk
Ovechkin - Yashin - Afinogenov
Kovalchuk - Kozlov - Frolov
Sushinsky - Malkin - Kharitonov

Yashin, in his current form can probably give Kharitonov a run for his money as the worst player on that line. Watch some Eurotour, the Kharitonov-Malkin-Sushinsky #1 line is doing alot more and looking better than last year's #1 line of Kovalchuk-Datsyuk-Kovalev. Non NHL doesnt equal bad, although Kharitonov is worse in some aspects than say Morozov, Zherdev, Slava Kozlov, other guys who didnt make the team... but he is still Afinogenov-like fast and unlike Mad max, has chemistry with Sushinsky and is very sound defensively.

Id prefer Brylin over Kozlov on the team personally especially with Kozlov's recent playing time... yet I guess they took past service and performance while playing in Russia last year into account. However, Korolyuk has been the Ovechkin of the RSL this season with Vityaz (the Washington Capitals of the RSL)... the guy has wheels, is very solid on the penlaty kill, and sees the ice very well. He basically plays on his own at Vityaz (unless you count bouncing pucks off teamates into the net for assists), and captain Korky isnt doing that bad.

Surprising lines, and I will probably post my own tweaked variant after some thought, but not horrid.

Slitty

Oct 23, 2005
SensGuy said:
I wouldn't consider them the top pairing, they're just listed up there.

Just wondering, but are they allowed to dress as many players as they want or can they only dress 20? I see that 4th pairing is there, but can they dress those guys too?

The line/pairing numbers are arbitrary.

A team dresses 22 players for an Olympics game. Russia sacrificed a 13th forward to have 4 defensive pairings. Thus, they will have 5-man units... a Soviet tradition and they way its currently done in Russia.

DatsyukOwnzU13

Feb 12, 2006
freemusicfair.info
Ovechkin_mvp said:
These two lines look very good:

Kovalchuk - Datsyuk - Kovalev
Ovechkin - Malkin - Afinogenov

Even Canada's defence won't be able to sustain them.
Then, we have got two mediocre lines in:

Sushinsky - Yashin - Kharitonov
Frolov - Kozlov - Korolyuk

I would rather have:

Frolov- Yashin - Korolyuk

as my third line

That way, Russia get 3 top level lines

P.S: Kozlov better play some descent hockey.

Why so much hate on Kozlov? He is having a very good year, granted he is playing alongside Kovalchuck. I wouldn't mind seeing the two together.

top 2 lines:

Ovechkin-Datsyuk-Kovalev
Kovalchuck-Kozlov-Afinogenov

Then potentially move Yashin/Malkin to wing and just stock the top 3 lines (Frolov-Yashin-Malkin)

mrpither

Dec 1, 2005
the 'verse
Slitty said:
...However, Korolyuk has been the Ovechkin of the RSL this season with Vityaz (the Washington Capitals of the RSL)... the guy has wheels, is very solid on the penlaty kill, and sees the ice very well. He basically plays on his own at Vityaz (unless you count bouncing pucks off teamates into the net for assists), and captain Korky isnt doing that bad.
glad to hear kork is doing well; just wish he was doing it in teal...

blamebettman*

This is probably the only team who can win gold in hockey and ice dancing.

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
DatsyukOwnzU13 said:
Why so much hate on Kozlov? He is having a very good year, granted he is playing alongside Kovalchuck. I wouldn't mind seeing the two together.

Wrong Kozlov...which may be the problem all together ;)

Ovechkin_mvp

Feb 6, 2006
DatsyukOwnzU13 said:

top 2 lines:

Ovechkin-Datsyuk-Kovalev
Kovalchuck-Kozlov-Afinogenov

Then potentially move Yashin/Malkin to wing and just stock the top 3 lines (Frolov-Yashin-Malkin)

Victor Kozlov is playing for flyers

Slava Kozlov has officialy refused to play for Russia just like Zubov, Mogilny .............

I still don't understand Fedorov's logic.
This would have been his last Olympics. I mean - go out in style!

Ovechkin_mvp

Feb 6, 2006
arrbez said:
Wrong Kozlov...which may be the problem all together ;)

We do not need either one.

Fedorov should have been there.
You could put Fedorov on any line and make it a truly dangerous one.

Damn Sergei.

Slitty

Oct 23, 2005
Ovechkin_mvp said:
Victor Kozlov is playing for flyers

Slava Kozlov has officialy refused to play for Russia just like Zubov, Mogilny .............

I still don't understand Fedorov's logic.
This would have been his last Olympics. I mean - go out in style!

We have a hockey expert here ladies and gentlemen!!!! :yo: :amazed: :yo:

1) Viktor Kozlov plays for the New Jersey Devils.

2) Last time Slava Kozlov officially refused to play for Russia were the 1998 Olympics or whenever the last time Tikhonov was in charge. He also had the great quote of: "If you want to embarass yourself, play for the national team".... which for a good portion of the last 13 years was sadly true(ish). However, nobody asked him to play this time as he was not added to the preliminary list... and being the sly fox that Krikunov is, Kozlov, officially, was not added to the list because Krikunov "does not know this player at all". Hm... you'd think its part of the national team's coach's job description to know prospective candidates to the national team. Or at least such duties could be delegated to the GM, I'm sure Mr. Bure has heard of Slava before.

2b) For the longest time it seemed like Mogilny would be playing this year, he is not participating purely because he sucks, is languishing away in the minors, and suffers constant pain in his knee.

3) Ask a Columbus fan, Fedorov is in genuine pain and can hardly take a slap shot. He has also not been very impressive this year... a Viktor Kozlov with more playing time. That being said, he didnt want to play in Salt Lake either. I believe he has the full spectrum of Olympic medals (3 last time I checked) and is ending his career with the national team on a high note. He is no Larionov and #91 wont be there along with #17 in the minds of Russian youngsters, but lets not forget his decade+ of service either. He has known Krikunov since he was 13, and is geuinely old and hurt.... thus not playing. Give the guy a break, he wouldnt have helped the team by being on it as it is.

Ovechkin_mvp

Feb 6, 2006
Slitty said:
We have a hockey expert here ladies and gentlemen!!!! :yo: :amazed: :yo:

1) Viktor Kozlov plays for the New Jersey Devils.

2) Last time Slava Kozlov officially refused to play for Russia were the 1998 Olympics or whenever the last time Tikhonov was in charge. He also had the great quote of: "If you want to embarass yourself, play for the national team".... which for a good portion of the last 13 years was sadly true(ish). However, nobody asked him to play this time as he was not added to the preliminary list... and being the sly fox that Krikunov is, Kozlov, officially, was not added to the list because Krikunov "does not know this player at all". Hm... you'd think its part of the national team's coach's job description to know prospective candidates to the national team. Or at least such duties could be delegated to the GM, I'm sure Mr. Bure has heard of Slava before.

2b) For the longest time it seemed like Mogilny would be playing this year, he is not participating purely because he sucks, is languishing away in the minors, and suffers constant pain in his knee.

3) Ask a Columbus fan, Fedorov is in genuine pain and can hardly take a slap shot. He has also not been very impressive this year... a Viktor Kozlov with more playing time. That being said, he didnt want to play in Salt Lake either. I believe he has the full spectrum of Olympic medals (3 last time I checked) and is ending his career with the national team on a high note. He is no Larionov and #91 wont be there along with #17 in the minds of Russian youngsters, but lets not forget his decade+ of service either. He has known Krikunov since he was 13, and is geuinely old and hurt.... thus not playing. Give the guy a break, he wouldnt have helped the team by being on it as it is.

1. LOL Flyers (I meant Devils, sorry).....man it's too late and my brain's playing tricks on me :cry:

2. As for Slava Kozlov, I have read about Nemchinov approaching him this year. I'll look up the article.

3. Mogilny would still look better up there than any RSL player (exept for Malkin).

4. Fedorov looks much better than Kozlov, even on the fourth line. He's always been good for Russiia internationally. Very poor decision making on his behalf.

Now Kozlov playing center - they guy admitedlyhates to take faceoffs. That could prove disasterous. His work ethics are questionable at best. I would rather have Brylin out there

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->