Status
Not open for further replies.

Mothra

The Groovy Guru
Jul 16, 2002
Parts Unknown
Visit site
littleHossa said:
Ovechkin is tied for 6th in scoring in a league that is full of NHLers, unbelievable that he will go help Russia at the WJCs. their team is strong up front and their weakness will be their defense, judging by how many they brought out to try out, if the drive is there they can go far with the talent that they have.

Worthy of note is Malkin in the top 15 in scoring in the same league.....and of course heading to the same WJCs....these two should be tough to contain

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
I've seen 3 games featuring Dynamo, and about 5 with Metallurg Magnitogorsk ... overall I thought that Malkin was moving faster, shooting the puck harder and skating with more balance.

But that's only my opinion.

Mothra

The Groovy Guru
Jul 16, 2002
Parts Unknown
Visit site
wilka91 said:
I've seen 3 games featuring Dynamo, and about 5 with Metallurg Magnitogorsk ... overall I thought that Malkin was moving faster, shooting the puck harder and skating with more balance.

But that's only my opinion.

Thanks.....he certainly is producing on the stats sheet.

TORRUS

May 31, 2004
Beli
BuppY said:
I don't see Radulov on the list and I picked him in the WJC pool. :cry:

Radulov will join the team later since he plays in NA. Going to Europe for a camp and coming back to NA would be too much traveling and too complicated. His line (Radulov-Yunkov-Voloshenko) is locked for the WJC. You picked him and it was a nice pick!

denphis

MOGiLNY said:
here in Canada everyone is talking about Crosby, but I just can't help but get excited about Ovechkin.

this kid is only 19, and has already been named to the team of the year in the RSL, he's represented Russia at the WJC, WC and even the WORLD CUP! I was right there in the stands when Ovechkin, a 19 year old kid, scored a goal on Slovakia against grown men who play in the NHL! what an unbelieveable guy!

and the way he handled himself after that Gonchar incident was fanastic to IMO. he got victimized by the media and fans because he injured a star player, and yet he didn't blink an eye, and said that if he was in the same situation again, he would still make that hit on Gonchar because he is playing hockey, and not chess. some may consider it cocky, but I think it shows that this guy knows what he's doing, and that just because someone is a star, he wont give Gonchar any special treatment.

I hope Ovechkin and Malkin dominate the hell out of this tournament.

does anyone else think ovechkin sounds a bit like Ivan Drago from the rocky movies?

BuppY

xGoodwillx
Dec 24, 2003
relatednews.net
TORRUS said:
Radulov will join the team later since he plays in NA. Going to Europe for a camp and coming back to NA would be too much traveling and too complicated. His line (Radulov-Yunkov-Voloshenko) is locked for the WJC. You picked him and it was a nice pick!

wow thanks for the info appreciate I feel better now!!! :D

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
MOGiLNY said:
here in Canada everyone is talking about Crosby, but I just can't help but get excited about Ovechkin.

this kid is only 19, and has already been named to the team of the year in the RSL, he's represented Russia at the WJC, WC and even the WORLD CUP! I was right there in the stands when Ovechkin, a 19 year old kid, scored a goal on Slovakia against grown men who play in the NHL! what an unbelieveable guy!

and the way he handled himself after that Gonchar incident was fanastic to IMO. he got victimized by the media and fans because he injured a star player, and yet he didn't blink an eye, and said that if he was in the same situation again, he would still make that hit on Gonchar because he is playing hockey, and not chess. some may consider it cocky, but I think it shows that this guy knows what he's doing, and that just because someone is a star, he wont give Gonchar any special treatment.

I hope Ovechkin and Malkin dominate the hell out of this tournament.

He also said he was concerned for Gonchar and pointed out what a great player he was. He could have pointed out what a questionable move Gonchar made on the play but he didn't, at least in the quotes I read. It will be interesting to see how he does this year after a mediocre (for him) showing last year. I hope he does "alright" but not against Canada.

Last edited:

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Anyone hear anything on Khomutov....is he on the team or did they just cut him? It is odd that they wouldn't invite a player that is playing well in the AHL at the age of 19.

Rowsdower

Jan 13, 2003
Arizona Bay
Visit site
Foppa_Rules said:

Awesome counter-arguement....the trademark response of someone who disagrees with something, but doesn't have the knowledge to actually defend it with words...now instead of using a bunch of smilies, try forming together some words to explain why that statement is so absurd. Here's to hoping you can come up with something other than 'he's Ovechkin'.

I don't know why, but something tells me he has watched the two of them a little more in depth than you have...

Last edited:

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site
As far as I understand they are having a camp in Russia. So what is the timeframe for this camp. When does/did it start and when does it end? When will the roster be finalized?

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
Senator Stanley said:
As far as I understand they are having a camp in Russia. So what is the timeframe for this camp. When does/did it start and when does it end? When will the roster be finalized?

I honestly don't know :dunno:
There's nothing about the WJC in the Russian online press. :mad:

Foppa_Rules

Nov 1, 2003
Earth...how about you?
Rowsdower said:
Awesome counter-arguement....the trademark response of someone who disagrees with something, but doesn't have the knowledge to actually defend it with words...now instead of using a bunch of smilies, try forming together some words to explain why that statement is so absurd. Here's to hoping you can come up with something other than 'he's Ovechkin'.

I don't know why, but something tells me he has watched the two of them a little more in depth than you have...

Well perhaps someone can tell me what records Malkin has broken? Or perhaps even ONE tournament where Malkin has surpassed Ovechkin's point totals? Ever?

The fact is that Ovechkin has outscored Malkin in every tournament, and Ovechkin is the one who broke Kovalchuk's scoring record at the U-18 WJC's. Ovechkin did that at 16. Malkin is 18 and he hasn't even equaled what Ovechkin did at that tournament when he was 16. Ovechkin is the one who broke Bure's record. Ovechkin is the one who broke Maltsev's record.

Ovechkin is the youngest skater ever to be selected to the Russian National Team. Ovechkin was the youngest player in the history of Russian hockey to be selected to the World Championships team. Ovechkin was the youngest player in the history of Russian hockey to score for the World Chmapionships team. Ovechkin is the youngest player in the history of Dynamo Moscow to lead the team in scoring. Ovechkin is only the second Russian in the history of the NHL to be drafted 1'st overall.

Ovechkin has never relinquished his reign of his draft year. Ovechkin is the one who has had to deal with all the pressures of being #1 and all the media attention yet managed to survive and excel. You don't see Ovechkin taking bribes from agents or failing drug tests--Ever. Ovechkin is the one who has had to deal with the expectations from the media, the fans and his teammates wherever he goes.

What has Malkin done?

Rowsdower

Jan 13, 2003
Arizona Bay
Visit site
Foppa_Rules said:
Well perhaps someone can tell me what records Malkin has broken? Or perhaps even ONE tournament where Malkin has surpassed Ovechkin's point totals? Ever?

The fact is that Ovechkin has outscored Malkin in every tournament, and Ovechkin is the one who broke Kovalchuk's scoring record at the U-18 WJC's. Ovechkin did that at 16. Malkin is 18 and he hasn't even equaled what Ovechkin did at that tournament when he was 16. Ovechkin is the one who broke Bure's record. Ovechkin is the one who broke Maltsev's record.

Ovechkin is the youngest skater ever to be selected to the Russian National Team. Ovechkin was the youngest player in the history of Russian hockey to be selected to the World Championships team. Ovechkin was the youngest player in the history of Russian hockey to score for the World Chmapionships team. Ovechkin is the youngest player in the history of Dynamo Moscow to lead the team in scoring. Ovechkin is only the second Russian in the history of the NHL to be drafted 1'st overall.

Ovechkin has never relinquished his reign of his draft year. Ovechkin is the one who has had to deal with all the pressures of being #1 and all the media attention yet managed to survive and excel. You don't see Ovechkin taking bribes from agents or failing drug tests--Ever. Ovechkin is the one who has had to deal with the expectations from the media, the fans and his teammates wherever he goes.

What has Malkin done?

Thanks for the book report, but myself, along with the original poster you quoted, were referring to games this season...which kinda makes every word you just typed...well, irrelevant. While Ovechkin may have all those purty records (which I could personally care less about), it is hardly absurd to suggest Malkin has impressed more than Ovechkin in a handful of games....especially by an individual who can tell us things beyond a listing of past accomplishments. Last I checked, they were practically even in scoring, and Malkin has been the 1st star of quite a few games. Maybe, just maybe, he has had some stronger games here and there.

Last edited:

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

Aug 4, 2003
This space.
Jacobv2 said:
He fails drug tests and takes bribes from agents.
Which is quite a feat considering how thin his bones are compared to, say, Joe Thornton for example.
In all seriousness, is it that hard to believe that Malkin was more impressive than Ovechkin in 5 games?

Foppa_Rules

Nov 1, 2003
Earth...how about you?
Rowsdower said:
Thanks for the book report, but myself, along with the original poster you quoted, were referring to games this season...which kinda makes every word you just typed...well, irrelevant. While Ovechkin may have all those purty records (which I could personally care less about), it is hardly absurd to suggest Malkin has impressed more than Ovechkin in a handful of games....especially by an individual who can tell us things beyond a listing of past accomplishments. Last I checked, they were practically even in scoring, and Malkin has been the 1st star of quite a few games. Maybe, just maybe, he has had some stronger games here and there.

The "book report" was just a few facts off the top of my head. There are many more accomplishments I didn't mention.

Well if you want to compare Malkin's best games to Ovechkin's worst then go right ahead but it's not credible.

Ovechkin so far has 10 goals 12 assists 22 points in 31 games.

Malkin has 6 goals 14 assists 20 points in 34 games.

How has Malkin impressed more? Until he actually BEATS Ovechkin, I don't think you can say he impresses more, in fact it's downright false. If you factor in all the pressures Ovechkin has had to deal with as #1 for several years, he is significantly ahead of Malkin in EVERY tournament they have EVER played in. Maybe Malkin has a few shocking shifts now and then but Ovechkin has proven his capability and consistently high performance throughout his career. Ovechkin has been the leader of his prospect group for many years and has managed to stay significantly on top the entire time. Malkin has yet to catch up to Ovechkin, let alone surpass him. Who will be better in the future no one can say, but in the past and present Ovechkin is #1.

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
What's the point of this Malkin vs Ovechkin discussion? I don't get it, all you have to do is wait 2 or 3 weeks and you'll know which one played better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->