Team Russia vs Team Canada. Team Russia can win?) all-stars

Team Russia can win?

• Total voters

Bear12Good

Dec 7, 2015
Russia
Team Russia vs Team Canada. Team Russia can win?) all-stars of course
I really want to see new summit series) Team Canada right now looks unbeatable. Russia very often play not good and not realize own potential!

Team Russia

Bobrovsky,Vasilevsky,Sorokin

Panarin-Malkin-Tarasenko
Ovechkin-Kuznetsov-Radulov
Gusev-Anisimov-Kucherov
Dadonov- Namestnikov- Svechnikov
Buchenevich-Barbashev-Kaprizov/Grigorenko

Orlov-Zaytsev
Provorov-Zadorov
Gavrikov-Sergachev
Nesterov-Khafizullin

Team CANADA

Fleury,Price,Holtby

Marchand-Crosby-Bergeron
Tavares McDavid MacKinnon
Stamkos Giroux Seguin
Monahan Towes O'Reilly
Couturier Scheifele Stone/Marner

Burns-Pietrangelo
Doughty-Muzzin
Giordano-Rielly
Subban-Ellis

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Anything is possible if you get good reliable goaltending (look at the Finns this year) but I like Canada's defence more than Russia's which would make me lean their way over an entire series.

Could Russia win? Sure.

Would they likely win? I would bet on no.

So I'm not really sure how to answer your question.

Reactions: Bear12Good

garbageteam

Jan 7, 2010
Can they win? Sure, the personnel are there to definitely accomplish such a feat in a one-off game. Should they, or are they the odds-on favorites? Absolutely not.

The question as phrased should really be a 100% answer for "Yes", but I voted No because I feel it's sort of a baiting question...

Lambo

Jan 10, 2019
Canada is much better balanced overall and much more stronger depth. The most natural competitor are the USA. Russia must fight vs Sweden and Finland for "place 3".

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Can win? Yes, in that Russia's chances would be above 0%. If this was 8 games, as seen in the Summit Series, then I really would not expect Russia to win. Maybe a 15% chance. Probably better odds in a few years.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Canada has to much balance and skill up front. Would over whelm Russia. How exactly does someone gameplan against a top line with Mackinnon and McDavid and a 2nd line with Marchand-Crosby-Bergeron? Like it isn't possible.

Nino33

Jul 5, 2015
I've no real interest in another Summit Series, and it doesn't make sense anymore to have one IMO. A Canada Cup 1976 format would be what I'd like to see.

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
All I would want to see is some kind annual best-on-best tournament of let's say Top 8 nations without gimmicks. There could very well be more than one teams per nation tho depending on and in ratio of how many players each nation have (counted from some predefined pool of top leagues of those nations and players playing in them, for example U.S. players playing in all other Top 8 nations leagues listed to pool would give a ratio, and amount of max teams for U.S. when compared to other nations' similar player counts). Maybe total 16 or 24 teams in the tournament arranged to some kind rational divisions. It would entirely possible that for example Russia's A-team and B-team would play against each other in the playoffs, or that Canada's A, B, and C teams would reach with Sweden's A-team to semifinals. Point being that ALL best players of each country could participate to the tournament relative to their amounts in world's top level hockey in "natural" National teams.

There could be even arranged such way that tournament brackets would allow re-utilization of players of B team in A team if the B-team doesn't qualify/drops out at some phase of tournament (and visa versa), reflecting better available player resources of that country.

*tired dreaming* :D

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
There would be no interest in Russia for such a series unless it was home-and-home, like 1972. I can't imagine there would be much of any interest in Canada either. They are not alone at the top today as they were in 1972. Its not the same rivalry. As for who would win, I give credence to observations about the weakness of the Russian defense, so Russia certainly would be a big underdog. Really, we're talking about something that has no chance to happen.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
I think for Russia a one off would be much preferable as that would be a much greater chance for them to win than a 8 game series like the Summit series was in which I would say they had a pretty close to zero percent chance of winning.

Russia can match in goaltending and top end skill but that defense is awful and the bottom two lines are pretty weak as well.

The 8 game series with the way the Canadians can play physically would really wear down those Russian players and likely highlight even more how weak the defense was. Canada could play their 7 guys equally and not suffer, where Russia would really need to rely on a few key guys or give up a lot of chances when their weaker guys were out there.

As others have said the two countries are no longer the clear top two above everyone else anyways so a tournament with more teams would be preferable.

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
All I would want to see is some kind annual best-on-best tournament of let's say Top 8 nations without gimmicks. There could very well be more than one teams per nation tho depending on and in ratio of how many players each nation have (counted from some predefined pool of top leagues of those nations and players playing in them, for example U.S. players playing in all other Top 8 nations leagues listed to pool would give a ratio, and amount of max teams for U.S. when compared to other nations' similar player counts). Maybe total 16 or 24 teams in the tournament arranged to some kind rational divisions. It would entirely possible that for example Russia's A-team and B-team would play against each other in the playoffs, or that Canada's A, B, and C teams would reach with Sweden's A-team to semifinals. Point being that ALL best players of each country could participate to the tournament relative to their amounts in world's top level hockey in "natural" National teams.

There could be even arranged such way that tournament brackets would allow re-utilization of players of B team in A team if the B-team doesn't qualify/drops out at some phase of tournament (and visa versa), reflecting better available player resources of that country.

*tired dreaming* :D
I like the idea but LOVE how the bolded was followed by an extremely gimmicky idea. Hahhaha

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad