TEAM RUSSIA thus far

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evgeny Oliker

Mar 12, 2003
Visit site
i have to say that the 14 players TEAM RUSSIA picked so far already show that this team will be very different from all other of Russia's national teams. Seems that this new coach is going out of his way to get more defensive-minded, physical forwards on his team. he went as far as asking Lithuania for the right to include ZUBRUS(never played in WC for Russia) on Russia's team. guys like Kvasha, Yashin, Nikolishin, Afinogenov, Zhamnov and Samsonov are also all capable of playing defense and playing physical. It remains to be seen what the rest of the team will look like, but it seems like this team will play better defensively and be more physical than the Olympic team.
here is what i would do with the 14 players picked:
LW - ZHAMNOV - RW
KVASHA - YASHIN - SAMSONOV
LW - NIKOLISHIN - ZUBRUS
AFINOGENOV - DATSYUK - OVECHKIN

S. Gonchar - D. Markov
A. Markov - RD
LD - RD

extras: Khavanov - Tverdovsky

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
2forsbergaura1 said:
i have to say that the 14 players TEAM RUSSIA picked so far already show that this team will be very different from all other of Russia's national teams. Seems that this new coach is going out of his way to get more defensive-minded, physical forwards on his team. he went as far as asking Lithuania for the right to include ZUBRUS(never played in WC for Russia) on Russia's team. guys like Kvasha, Yashin, Nikolishin, Afinogenov, Zhamnov and Samsonov are also all capable of playing defense and playing physical. It remains to be seen what the rest of the team will look like, but it seems like this team will play better defensively and be more physical than the Olympic team.
here is what i would do with the 14 players picked:
LW - ZHAMNOV - RW
KVASHA - YASHIN - SAMSONOV
LW - NIKOLISHIN - ZUBRUS
AFINOGENOV - DATSYUK - OVECHKIN

S. Gonchar - D. Markov
A. Markov - RD
LD - RD

extras: Khavanov - Tverdovsky

Zhamnov as first line center, then Yashin, Nikolishin and Datsyuk? Have you ever heard of Sergei Fedorov? With the firing of Tikhonov, it's expected he'll play, so chances are, he'll be the first line center.

Evgeny Oliker

Mar 12, 2003
Visit site
lol

yes, i have heard of FEDOROV, i'm from ukraine myself. but two things:
1.i read that he doesnt want to play, not cause of TIKHONOV, but cause he feels the WC is too close to the start of the NHL season.
2. who says ZHAMNOV cant be a #1 center? he was the #1 center for philly in the playoffs and did pretty well...until amonte and roenick ran out of gas. also, i think FEDOROV had a very sub-par year and is a bit past his prime. yes, he could still be a #1 center for the WC, but he has to want to play. i dont want him playing if he's not going to put 100% into it.

Clumsyhab

Feb 22, 2004
Montreal
Even if Fedorov doesn't play at 100%, he's still by far the best player for Russia. He's got Speed, Shot, Pass, Offence & defence ability. IMO, he's the all-time best Russian to ever play the game.

Dec 27, 2002
Dat mitten
2forsbergaura1 said:
also, i think FEDOROV had a very sub-par year and is a bit past his prime.

Zhamnov is only 10 months younger than Fedorov so if Fedorov is past his prime, Zhamnov can't be far behind. His "sub-par" season can be explained for several reasons, such as this is the first time he didn't play for Detroit. If Fedorov and Zhamnov are on the same team, I don't see any way Zhamnov plays ahead of Fedorov.

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
Clumsyhab said:
Even if Fedorov doesn't play at 100%, he's still by far the best player for Russia. He's got Speed, Shot, Pass, Offence & defence ability. IMO, he's the all-time best Russian to ever play the game.

agreed...I always thought he was one of the best players in the world...and he showed me that in person this year in Anaheim...he should be the first line center...He is definetly not past his prime!!!

CSKA

May 5, 2003
Visit site
Clumsyhab said:

ah come on ! By far hmmmmm oh please! .....He is one of the best in the game , i would say still top 10 NHL but not the best russian ! What about Kovy ha ? 2nd best NHL scorrer !

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
Come on people, it is so obvious that Fedorov is clearly the best player we've got. The only reason he didn't reach 80 points this season is Anaheim's poor offense all season long. At times Feds' teammates went on a scoring slump and couldn't score on his passes for 10 games! And I don't know if any of you have seen the Ducks play this season, but from what I've seen, Fedorov is still playing with a lot of intensity and controls the puck like no other player. He had some really good games this season, and it turns out that it was against the best teams, Detroit, Colorado, New Jersey, Toronto.
In my opinion Kovalchuk is a joke compared to Sergei. Sure he's got those phenomenal offensive skills, but when he comes to the ice, he never takes over the game, in other words Kovy needs his teammates to make room for him, and to set up plays. Fedorov can do both, he's a finisher, and a set up man. Plus Fedorov plays so well defensively.

CSKA

May 5, 2003
Visit site
wilka91 said:
In my opinion Kovalchuk is a joke compared to Sergei. Sure he's got those phenomenal offensive skills, but when he comes to the ice, he never takes over the game, in other words Kovy needs his teammates to make room for him, and to set up plays. Fedorov can do both, he's a finisher, and a set up man. Plus Fedorov plays so well defensively.

that ( ALL ) is simply NOT true !

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
100% true :)

But anyway, I'm still waiting for the roster to be announced. It's already 3pm in Moscow ...

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
CSKA said:
damn i hope Kovalev & Nabokov are on the team

Here's my hope list :

Fedorov, Kovalchuk, Kovalev, Frolov, Mogilny, Morozov ... V. Bure or Korolyuk

Kalinin, Kasparaitis, Zubov or Zhitnik

Khabby, Nabby, Sokolov :banana:

ZBORNAJA

Dec 28, 2002
Visit site
wilka91 said:
100% true :)

But anyway, I'm still waiting for the roster to be announced. It's already 3pm in Moscow ...

There is a delay because KGB is forcing players right now in Lublianka...My inside source is telling me FEdorov will crack any moment now... ;)

Simagin

Nov 18, 2002
ZBORNAJA said:
There is a delay because KGB is forcing players right now in Lublianka...My inside source is telling me FEdorov will crack any moment now... ;)

LOL :lol

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
ZBORNAJA said:

Hey man! I finished downloading that Canada Cup 1987 game, took 3 days ... thanks by the way, without you I would have never found it. :bow:

CSKA

May 5, 2003
Visit site
ZBORNAJA said:

Ha ha ha ha GO KGB GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO !!!!!!!!!! :bonk: :lol

CSKA

May 5, 2003
Visit site
wilka91 said:
Hey man! I finished downloading that Canada Cup 1987 game, took 3 days ... thanks by the way, without you I would have never found it. :bow:

hey where can i get it ?

ZBORNAJA

Dec 28, 2002
Visit site
wilka91 said:

NO problem!My best move(little move,there are a lot of big play moves) is that of Makarov along the boards on Gretzky..WOW!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->