Team Russia Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

TORRUS

May 31, 2004
Beli
I think that Tyutin could be a good replacement if any of Russian defencemans decide to decline!

TOGLIATTI

Apr 23, 2004
MI
Fedorov

Zine said:
Seems like the roster is constantly changing. So as of now, far those who won't play or are injured are:

G Khabibulin
G Nabokov
D Malakhov
D D. Markov
D Zubov
F Mogilny
F Zhamnov
F Fedorov
F Bure
F S. Kozlov

* Zhitnik is now listed on the roster at NHL.com

Fedorov is on the roster as well at NHL.com

Last edited:

TOGLIATTI

Apr 23, 2004
MI
Vitaly Vishnevski

I think Vitaly Vishnevski from Anahiem will do well for the team. He is still a little rough on the edges, but he will be a big physical presence. He can play big minutes, and is a good skater.

Last edited:

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
this team sucks. no one wants to play ... oh well, we'll see how the young players can do against NHLers

Thresher

Jun 30, 2004
HECK
"...goalie Evgeni Nabokov of the San Jose Sharks is said to be unfit after arthroscopic knee surgery."

numerous other sources have said Nabokov is expected to recover in time for the World Cup of Hockey...so, I wouldn't count him out just yet...then again, with so many backing away from the apparently discombobulated (dis)organization that is Team Russia...Nabokov may not want to man the crease

eh, who knows

tbr

Jul 26, 2004
Does anyone think they would give Sergei Brylin a look. The guy does have three cups and can play where ever they need him. It would be nice to see him get recognized.

TORRUS

May 31, 2004
Beli
Team sucks. Obviously players don't care much about this tournament. If nothing it will be a big experience for the young players who are the future of Russian hockey. It's totaly f..... up! Since it got so far it wouldn't harm much to put Zherdev, Tyutin, Kondratiev, Semin, Mozyakin and others in. At least we know they would give 150 %

Buya89

Aug 11, 2004
Russia
Rob said:
My question is, do Russian hockey fans care much about this tournament? Will it be televised back in Russia?

OFCORSE WE CARE. In Russia the 2 most popular sports are hockey and soccer. But since our superstars are too good to represent our country you dont see alot of enthusiasm from fans :(

Buya89

Aug 11, 2004
Russia
deathbear said:
if pavel bure was healthy, you know he'd play.

Although people might have critisized him for being selfish watever.... He was always a big patriot and came up huge in world cup/olympics... Great competitor. Great Player...

TOGLIATTI

Apr 23, 2004
MI
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

None of the older Russians want to play for the corrupt hockey federation. They left to get away from all that. I bet they would have if Larionov was the head of the team. But he wont even have anything to do with them. It's all a mess. Chaos and mass hysteria. Need to clean house. If winning were the top priority for the Russians, this would not happen. Its all politics. Zherdev should already be on the team. His battle with the RIHF is a mess.

Anyway, once NHL players were allowed to play in the Olympics, the World Cup became a joke. Look at all the players not playing for the other countrys.

Last edited:

thrill_me_mogilny

May 23, 2003
I agree Togliatti. If Tikhonov were fired(right...) or couldn't coach due to some illness/accident, I bet Fedorov's aches and pains would heal in time for the WC!

In a way I'm glad that the Russians are not fielding a full team of NHLers. These guys will be playing for jobs, and it's a great chance for non-Russians to see players we never get to see.

Alfons

May 3, 2004
What about this possible line up. what do you think?

Samsonov Yashin Kovalev
Kovalchuk Kozlov Kvasha
Ovechkin Datsyuk Zherdev/Frolov
Zubrus Chubarov Kovalenko

Gonchar Kasparaitis
Markov Kalinin
Volchenkov Vishnevski

Bryzgalov/Nabokov

Buya89

Aug 11, 2004
Russia
LETS GO RUSSIA!!!!!!!

we might not strike fear w/out bure, but i bet if russians get chemistry they'd be hard to play against. Look at their team everyone but yashin/afanosenkov is extremely good skater, so we got speed and scoring touch... now we need goalie... grit... strategy and defensive D!!!!!
hehe

Vic Rattlehead*

The Russians are still talented at the left side on offence...

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
I'd like to see these lines

Kovalchuk - Datsyuk - Kvasha
Kovalev - Yashin - Afinogenov
Samsonov - Kozlov - Frolov
Zubrus - Chubarov - Kovalenko

Gonchar - Kasparaitis
Kalinin - Markov
Volchenkov - Vishnevski

Gainey23

Aug 17, 2004
as disappointed as i am about Zhamnov not being on the squad, i'm still looking forward to seeing this team... kids like Zherdev and Chistov are blackballed off this squad because they are unfairly painted as 'deserters.'

still, looking forward to seeing guys like Kalinin, Afanasankov, (and obviously great anticipation for Ovechkin).
also curious to see how well Kovalenko performs..
hard to believe i'd be saying this years later, having grown up on CCCP dominance, but Team Russia would have to be considered a sleeper/darkhorse to win it all.

Proffessor G DIDDY

Oct 3, 2003
Visit site
I think if the Russians work hard in their own end and convert from counterattacks they can win. They got a lot of talent in offense but their defense will be key. Another thing is that their coach must spread the experience throughout the lineup some of these need a veteran player on their player to rely on that being said here's my team:

Samsonov - Datsyuk - Kovalev
Kovalchuk - Yashin - Ovechkin
Chubarov - Kozlov - Zubrus
Afinogenov - Petrov - Kovalenko
Afanasenkov - Kvasha - Frolov

Gonchar - Volchenkov
Tverdovsky - Kalinin
Kasparaitus - Vishnevski
Khanavo - Markov

Bryzgalov - Sokolov - Fomichev

Obviously Nabokov will be number one if he's health. Where are players like Antropov, Brylin, Nikolshin, Malakhov, Markov and Bure. Russia would be a lot more competitve with their full team, what happened ???

brian

Mar 2, 2002
Visit site
Antropov is a Kazakh and has played for them in the past. Unlike Nabokov, Antropov doesn't want to play for Russia and considers himself a Kazakh. He could have played for Russia at this World Cup if he wanted to, but not in an IIHF sanctioned tournament.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->