Team Russia announced!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Macman

May 15, 2004
wilka91 said:
In today's (online) edition of Sport Express, coach Bill (Bilyaletdinov) says that of the 26 players that were selected, 2 were not yet contacted ... they are Nikolai Khabibulin and Sergei Fedorov.
I think there's no doubts that Khabibulin will accept to play, but how about Fedorov?

Is that the same article that is posted on another thread? If it is, all he's saying is he personally hasn't talked to some of these guys. That's not surprising considering they seemed to name him at the last minute. It also doesn't necessarily mean someone else on the team hasn't talked to them.

Dizzy

May 24, 2003
Windsor, ON
Visit site
thrill_me_mogilny said:
:shakehead Only in Russia...let's pick players without ASKING first! I actually posted about that situation. What if they just announce players to make the deadline without talking to the players?

Bozhe, bozhe, bozhe.

Actually Team Canada didn't contact any of the players before the team was selected. According to Gretzky the only players who knew they were on the team before the press conference were Yzerman and Doan.

Markov

Apr 16, 2004
Land of ice and snow
Macman said:
Is that the same article that is posted on another thread? If it is, all he's saying is he personally hasn't talked to some of these guys. That's not surprising considering they seemed to name him at the last minute. It also doesn't necessarily mean someone else on the team hasn't talked to them.

No it's a different article. Sport Express is in Russian.

Simagin

Nov 18, 2002
wilka91 said:
In today's (online) edition of Sport Express, coach Bill (Bilyaletdinov) says that of the 26 players that were selected, 2 were not yet contacted ... they are Nikolai Khabibulin and Sergei Fedorov.
I think there's no doubts that Khabibulin will accept to play, but how about Fedorov?

:dunno:

Last edited:

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
In my opinion he will play, but I really hate all those rumors around Fedorov ... every time there's some problems with him. First they said he wouldn't play in Salt Lake City, then he gave that stupid interview in Sovetsky Sport where he said he didn't wanna play for Russia anymore ... and when finally they selected him, I was like "oh, there's nothing to worry about, I can relax" ... and it turns out they didn't talk to him yet!!!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Simagin

Nov 18, 2002
and I think that Khabibulin will play (~60%), but Fedorov for sure not. His answer in this interview is pretty clear.

-But anything can happen. If Ducks will not make the playoffs, would you join Russian national team for World Championship?

-I hope we make the playoffs. But whatever happens I do not plan on playing for team Russia.

-You talk about World Championship. What about World Cup?

-I want to be honest, I am not dreaming to play there. NHL season starts very early and World Cup is a serious tournament with the best players of the planet. I tried to play for national team and this was very hard for me. You know the results, not very good....

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
I know that interview almost by heart, but the problem is that 3 weeks later he gave another interview, and he was told that the fans reacted with a lot emotion after the first interview : Sergei replied something like "you know, the season is long, let's talk about it after the season".

Well anyway in my opinion both will play, I'm 99.5% sure. Khabibulin wasn't contacted because of the Stanley Cup finals, and he'll play for sure, 100%. Fedorov? 99 %!!!

Simagin

Nov 18, 2002
wilka91 said:
I know that interview almost by heart, but the problem is that 3 weeks later he gave another interview, and he was told that the fans reacted with a lot emotion after the first interview : Sergei replied something like "you know, the season is long, let's talk about it after the season".

Well anyway in my opinion both will play, I'm 99.5% sure. Khabibulin wasn't contacted because of the Stanley Cup finals, and he'll play for sure, 100%. Fedorov? 99 %!!!

I hope so

TORRUS

May 31, 2004
Beli
They will both be there! WC is the last thing Khabibulin is thinking right now since his season is not over yet, but when he wins the cup he'll be so happy that he will represent his country for sure! I think that it would be a great thing for Khabibulin and team Russia if he wins the Stanly cup. After all, we don't want him in WC in a bad mood just because he lost in the finals. If he wins it would be great for his confidence and for team's confidence. I mean, it's great if you now that your team has a good and confident goalie between the pipes! So... GO TAMPA :handclap: GO TAMPA!!!

Sotnos

Jul 8, 2002
Not here
www.boltprospects.com
I hope you guys are right about Khabibulin going. He doesn't sound so sure himself about playing, but he might change his mind once the Stanley Cup Finals are over:

Khabibulin unsure about World Cup

Lightning goalie Nikolai Khabibulin was named Monday to play for Russia in this summer's World Cup tournament. Whether he plays is another story.

Khabibulin said he still is unsure about his participation despite the recent firing of legendary coach Viktor Tikhonov, with whom Khabibulin has a poor relationship, in favor of former national team defenseman Zinetula Bilyaletdinov.

Tikhonov apparently will remain with the Russian Ice Hockey Federation as a consultant. But Khabibulin said, "I know what a consultant means over there."

Asked the chances he will play, Khabibulin said, "I'm not even going to worry about it until after the playoffs."
From today's St. Pete Times

Put it this way, Khabi is very mild mannered and you never see him have a bad thing to say about anyone, at least not in the press over here. He's really doesn't say much at all, about anything, ever. However, before the last Olympics, he was asked about Tikhonov and said, straight out, "I hate that man" and talked about the '92 Olympics and that whole story. For Khabibulin to say something about it publically, he must feel very strongly about it. I guess now he doesn't want to take any chances of having to deal with him in any capacity. :dunno:

I do hope they leave him alone until the Finals are over, I don't want him distracted in any way, his job's not done yet for Tampa. :)

ZBORNAJA

Dec 28, 2002
Visit site
Well Goaltending isnt the russia biggest problem...I would put 3 more big problems ahead,that are for real
1.Defence(CCCP style under Tihonov wasnt much about defence because they rarely played body and attack was so potent it didnt hurt them much ...in NHL time without defence u get nowhere...Well new coach was D,lets hope that will change)
2.PP( well what was once the best thing is now pure struggle...Against best teams Russia cant produce almost zero pressure with player advantage...This has to stop..)It is also because of
3.Lack of overall chemistry(When i see Sweden and others teams how they gel quickly and then seeing russia it hurts...and this is not old CCCP when first game was horrible but with every game your jaw would drop more and more...what u see is what u get..I hope the problem is to be fixed by new coach)

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
In my opinion the no. 1 problem is the players' motivation and intensity in the game.

If they want to win, they have to show right from the first faceoff and crash the US net!!! That's the only way they can win. Put pressure on the opposing net from the start. Otherwise they'll sleep again and won't reach the semifinals.

Last edited:

ZBORNAJA

Dec 28, 2002
Visit site
wilka91 said:
In my opinion the no. 1 problem is the player's motivation and intensity in the game.

If they want to win, they have to show right from the first faceoff and crash the US net!!! That's the only way they can win. Put pressure on the opposing net from the start. Otherwise they'll sleep again and won't reach the semifinals.

Yes how could i forgot that :)

joe_shannon_1983*

It isn't Nikolishin that they said this about: "we already do have four high class centers in Zhamnov, Yashin, Fedorov and Datsyuk. It wouldn’t be reasonable to keep a such player in reserve."

They said that about Brylin.

That interview shows that.

This is what they said about Nikolishin: "There is no doubt that Nikolishin is an experienced professional, but in my opinion, it is necessarry to have young players on the team. Such as Zubrus, Chubarov, Kvasha, Kovalchuk."

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
DerekJeter2 said:
It isn't Nikolishin that they said this about: "we already do have four high class centers in Zhamnov, Yashin, Fedorov and Datsyuk. It wouldn’t be reasonable to keep a such player in reserve."

They said that about Brylin.

That interview shows that.

This is what they said about Nikolishin: "There is no doubt that Nikolishin is an experienced professional, but in my opinion, it is necessarry to have young players on the team. Such as Zubrus, Chubarov, Kvasha, Kovalchuk."

Can you read?

Then you missed this part :

Brylin is a center, whereas we already do have four high class centers in Zhamnov, Yashin, Fedorov and Datsyuk. It wouldn’t be reasonable to keep a such player in reserve.

EDIT : I just realized that you repeated what I wrote, so what the hell are you talking about?

Last edited:

joe_shannon_1983*

wilka91 said:
Can you read?

Then you missed this part :

Brylin is a center, whereas we already do have four high class centers in Zhamnov, Yashin, Fedorov and Datsyuk. It wouldn’t be reasonable to keep a such player in reserve.

Yes I can read, what is your point?

You were claiming all along, for a couple of days, that it was Nikolishin they were saying that about.

And I am saying that it was Brylin they said it about.

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
DerekJeter2 said:
Yes I can read, what is your point?

You were claiming all along, for a couple of days, that it was Nikolishin they were saying that about.

And I am saying that it was Brylin they said it about.

Oh I see.

Actually it surprised me too because in another interview, I think in Gazeta.ru, he said the same about NIkolishin! Hell knows what's going on in coach Bill's head? :dunno:

Freezerburn

Mar 20, 2003
I am not to up with the Russian Superleague but how many of the players on that roster have Moscow Dynamo connections? That may prove to be the answer concerning some of the "surprise picks" and the ones who were surprises not being picks.

Simagin

Nov 18, 2002
Khabibulin unsure about World Cup

Lightning goalie Nikolai Khabibulin was named Monday to play for Russia in this summer's World Cup tournament. Whether he plays is another story.

Khabibulin said he still is unsure about his participation despite the recent firing of legendary coach Viktor Tikhonov, with whom Khabibulin has a poor relationship, in favor of former national team defenseman Zinetula Bilyaletdinov.

Tikhonov apparently will remain with the Russian Ice Hockey Federation as a consultant. But Khabibulin said, "I know what a consultant means over there."

Asked the chances he will play, Khabibulin said, "I'm not even going to worry about it until after the playoffs."

AAAAAAH I know it :shakehead

TORRUS

May 31, 2004
Beli
ZBORNAJA said:
Well Goaltending isnt the russia biggest problem...I would put 3 more big problems ahead,that are for real
1.Defence(CCCP style under Tihonov wasnt much about defence because they rarely played body and attack was so potent it didnt hurt them much ...in NHL time without defence u get nowhere...Well new coach was D,lets hope that will change)
2.PP( well what was once the best thing is now pure struggle...Against best teams Russia cant produce almost zero pressure with player advantage...This has to stop..)It is also because of
3.Lack of overall chemistry(When i see Sweden and others teams how they gel quickly and then seeing russia it hurts...and this is not old CCCP when first game was horrible but with every game your jaw would drop more and more...what u see is what u get..I hope the problem is to be fixed by new coach)

Zbornaja, you are right in a way. PP might change because Gonchar is great PP man and he is currently one of the best defencemans in the world so that might change some things.
About chemstry, that was Russia's biggest problem so far (for the past 10 years), but I think it will be little bit different this time because some major changes have happend and whole situation is a bit different. Tikhonov was replaced (NHL players are happy, and cause he sucked in world championships we are happy) and people are sick and tired of seeing the poor play Russia played in recent years. In my opinion this tournamant will go well for Russia and I think that from now we will see some medals coming.

LehtsGo

Sep 16, 2003
Boston, MA
Rabid Ranger said:
What good report did he hear about Valerie Bure? Does news travel to Russia that slowly? He knows Val's not with Calgary anymore, right?
Well, he was leading Florida in goals when he was traded to Dallas. I never really respected him until I got to see him play for the Stars, but he impressed me even though he didn't do much in the playoffs. Nice skater. I'd even like to keep him if he didn't cost that much; he was a nice complement for Modano.

He had a pretty good year. Not a terrible choice for a fringe player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->