Team Russia announced!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeadPool

Jan 1, 2004
kngbryn said:
I thought that Nabokov couldn't play for Russia because he has previously played for Kazakhstan. Correct me if I'm wrong.

You're right but it only is good for the Olympics. According to the International Ice Hockey Federation he can't play for Russia at the Olympics. But the World Cup of Hockey is being organized by both the NHL and NHL Players' Association so IIHF rules do not apply. So that rule doesnt apply for the World Cup.

Jeffrey

Feb 2, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Rabid Ranger said:
Oleg Tverdovsky
Sergei Gonchar
Daniil Markov
Alexander Khavanov
Darius Kasparaitis
Anton Volchenkov
Vitaly Vishnevski
Andrei Markov

Brian Leetch
Aaron Miller
Jordan Leopold
Chris Chelios
Brian Rafalski
Ken Klee
Derian Hatcher
Mathieu Schneider

Personally, I'd take the U.S. defense. The Russian group is much mroe suspect defensively IMO. I'm sure you'll disagree.
russian one for me !
usa = slow and old

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
DeadPool said:
You're right but it only is good for the Olympics. According to the International Ice Hockey Federation he can't play for Russia at the Olympics. But the World Cup of Hockey is being organized by both the NHL and NHL Players' Association so IIHF rules do not apply. So that rule doesnt apply for the World Cup.

No he's wrong. IIHF ruling, March 24th, 2004!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Slick Nick

Oct 29, 2003
Montréal
Visit site
Wilka va peter les plombs :lol

I read at least 11 players from that list will train with Yurzinov this summer. Is this like a Team Russia camp, or a regular Yurzinov camp? anybody?

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
Team USA's blueline has better depth, but the top-end talent for Russia is better. Daniil Markov is better than every American defenseman, and if Kasparaitis can play his simple, effective game, he is as well. In the end I'd probably take Russia.

I wonder who will end up with the starting job? Khabibulin is coming off the better season, but I like Nabokov better overall...

Glad to see Fedorov is there, too.

Canuck21t

Feb 4, 2004
Montreal, QC
Rabid Ranger said:
I wouldn't call it an awesome roster by any stretch. Goaltending is the only area I would consider top-notch. The forwards and defense both have some question marks.
The roster may not be awsome, but it looks very good. The weakest link is the defense which is not much worse than the US'. The offense will surprise you and the goaltending is top-notch. I'm quite impressed with the team..

Owen

Roster Guru
Sep 13, 2003
wilka91 said:
I know the Canadians like to talk about players who didn't make the team, so let's do it too :

Frolov >>> why the hell isn't he on the team???
Mogilny
P. Bure
S. Kozlov
Korolyuk
Malakhov
Zubov
Zhitnik
Kalinin >>> same as Frolov!!!
Nikolishin >>> by the way, wasn't he supposed to be on the team???
Morozov

Well Bure retired before last year so it shouldn't be very shocking... but Korolyuk, Frolov, Zubov, and Nikolishin should be there. Although Zubov isn't very fast, so that's probably why he was left off.

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
Slick Nick said:
I read at least 11 players from that list will train with Yurzinov this summer. Is this like a Team Russia camp, or a regular Yurzinov camp? anybody?

Usually it's a regular Yurzinov camp, but this year the Russian team will hold its 3-day training camp there before leaving for Cologne (exhibition match vs. Germany).

Canuck21t

Feb 4, 2004
Montreal, QC
Rabid Ranger said:
Oleg Tverdovsky
Sergei Gonchar
Daniil Markov
Alexander Khavanov
Darius Kasparaitis
Anton Volchenkov
Vitaly Vishnevski
Andrei Markov

Brian Leetch
Aaron Miller
Jordan Leopold
Chris Chelios
Brian Rafalski
Ken Klee
Derian Hatcher
Mathieu Schneider

Personally, I'd take the U.S. defense. The Russian group is much mroe suspect defensively IMO. I'm sure you'll disagree.
I'll take the Russian defence over the American one.

RoyIsALegend*

Rabid Ranger said:
Oleg Tverdovsky
Sergei Gonchar
Daniil Markov
Alexander Khavanov
Darius Kasparaitis
Anton Volchenkov
Vitaly Vishnevski
Andrei Markov

Brian Leetch
Aaron Miller
Jordan Leopold
Chris Chelios
Brian Rafalski
Ken Klee
Derian Hatcher
Mathieu Schneider

'I'm sure you'll disagree'... that made me chuckle, RR. I can't recall the last time I agreed on anything with you, and that's not necessarily a bad thing. ;)

Really no point in arguing this, though... just a difference of opinion, and I feel the Russian defense corps has better offensive defensemen along with better defensive defensemen.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
RoyIsALegend said:
'I'm sure you'll disagree'... that made me chuckle, RR. I can't recall the last time I agreed on anything with you, and that's not necessarily a bad thing. ;)

Really no point in arguing this, though... just a difference of opinion, and I feel the Russian defense corps has better offensive defensemen along with better defensive defensemen.

That's fine. One thing I'm sure we'll agree on is Canada's defense is better than either the U.S. or Russia's. :D

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Burke's Evil Spirit said:
Team USA's blueline has better depth, but the top-end talent for Russia is better. Daniil Markov is better than every American defenseman, and if Kasparaitis can play his simple, effective game, he is as well. In the end I'd probably take Russia.

I wonder who will end up with the starting job? Khabibulin is coming off the better season, but I like Nabokov better overall...

Glad to see Fedorov is there, too.

Danny Markov is better than any American defenseman? We definately will have to agree to disagree on that one........ I can't believe people are putting that much stock in Russia's defense, which features among others: Darius Kasparaitis, who hasn't been a top notch player in years, a RSL refugee in Tverdovsky, and a nobody in Alexander Khavanov. The Markovs are fine, and Gonchar and Vishnevski are good offensive defensemen,, but overall a weak group.

Last edited:

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
Jussi said:
I read somewhere that if there is a lock-out, NHL won't announce it until after the World Cup. Perhaps to stop players from signing with European clubs.
Well, the CBA expires sept 15th, and the the gold medal game is sept 14th. So there is no chance of a lockout during the world cup. A strike however could happen, ut the players wont be striking, they would prefer a lockout.

RoyIsALegend*

Rabid Ranger said:
Danny Markov is better than any American defenseman? We definately will have to agree to disagree on that one........ I can't believe people are putting that much stock in Russia's defense, which features among others: Darius Kasparaitis, who hasn't been a top notch player in years, a RSL refugee in Tverdovsky, and a nobody in Alexander Khavanov. The Markovs are fine, and Gonchar and Vishnovsky are good offensive defensemen,, but overall a weak group.

First of all... there is no Vishnovsky on the Russian team. There is a Vitaly Vishnevski, whom is a defensive defenseman that hits everything that moves. He provides little to no offense and you're thinking of Los Angeles' Lubomir Visnovsky.

Secondly, with Danil Markov, Anton Volchenkov, Darius Kasparaitis and Vishnevski, this corps has the potential to be a physically dominating group. All four defensemen love to punish their opponents and hit extremely hard. Mix that in with the offense provided by Sergei Gonchar, Andrei Markov and Oleg Tverdovsky and this is a very balanced group.

I don't think it's fair for you to evaluate the roster when you don't know who's on the team. Any team with Ken Klee, Chris Chelios and three injury-riddled players(Derian Hatcher, Brian Rafalski and Aaron Miller) on their blueline should not be considered great, and maybe not even good.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
RoyIsALegend said:
First of all... there is no Vishnovsky on the Russian team. There is a Vitaly Vishnevski, whom is a defensive defenseman that hits everything that moves. He provides little to no offense and you're thinking of Los Angeles' Lubomir Visnovsky.

Secondly, with Danil Markov, Anton Volchenkov, Darius Kasparaitis and Vishnevski, this corps has the potential to be a physically dominating group. All four defensemen love to punish their opponents and hit extremely hard. Mix that in with the offense provided by Sergei Gonchar, Andrei Markov and Oleg Tverdovsky and this is a very balanced group.

I don't think it's fair for you to evaluate the roster when you don't know who's on the team. Any team with Ken Klee, Chris Chelios and three injury-riddled players(Derian Hatcher, Brian Rafalski and Aaron Miller) on their blueline should not be considered great, and maybe not even good.

My bad. It was typo, and Vishnevski is a good defensive D-man. As for your other points. You're right, it's all about potential and who decides to show up. The problem is half the Russian defense doesn't do that on a regular basis. I don't care for those guys as players, and you don't care for the American defense. Again, that's not a problem. We'll see who comes to play in August.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
wilka91 said:
Nikolishin >>> by the way, wasn't he supposed to be on the team???

It's not like we didn't warn you about what Tikhonov said

Frolov not being on the team though is a mystery to me

Kipper933

Remember the Kipper
Jul 10, 2002
Toronto, ON
Visit site
kngbryn said:
I thought that Nabokov couldn't play for Russia because he has previously played for Kazakhstan. Correct me if I'm wrong.

This isn't a IIHF event, it is a NHL/NHLPA event, they're not tied to the same rules. Which also explains why Zubrus (from Lithuania) can play.

Freezerburn

Mar 20, 2003
wilka91 said:
You don't get it, don't ya?

Well I don't get this part. :D

I'm with everyone on this one where is Frolov and Kalinin?

Oh well, less competion for the other teams, mainly Canada. A Russia - Canada final would be top notch though, hopefully it could bring back the old rivalry.

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
I've just read Bilyaletdinov's interview in Sovetsky Sport ( >>> link in Russian <<<).

He gives a few comments about the selections but not a word about either Kalinin or Frolov.

He explained the final decision to not inculde Nikolishin in the lineup : the coach says that team has already 4 good centers (Fedorov, Zhamnov, Datsyuk, Yashin), and they didn't want to bring in Nikolishin just to watch him sit on the bench. Instead they took Chubarov, a young center who want mind if they don't use him much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->