team rankings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
The Frugal Gourmet said:
Well, this may sound totally cliche, but the general aura surrounding team USA strikes me as more "will" than "skill". Not that "will" is bad, but most good teams seem to have both. For instance, just pulling a few forwards out of a hat: Guerin, Hull, Lagenbrunner ... these guys are exceedingly average puck handlers or skaters or both. They are way "less dimensional" than the average all-world international player, if you're looking at the big 6 or 7 teams.

More important, some of the team USA stars seem to be on the aging side and not the fleetest of foot or greatest of passion for the game anymore. I would consider Modano, for instance, to me the most talented forward on team USA, but he scored less than 50 points this season in the NHL with 25+ minutes of ice time/night.

However, I don't really have any huge issues. Actually, I was saying I see no reason team USA can't win a medal. As has just been pointed out, not only has team USA stayed the same but most of the other teams have as well... and 2 years isn't that long...

Just to comment on some of your points:

1) You can't look at individual talents on this team. The players are interchangeable parts designed to work with others. For instance, Bill Guerin isn't the best stickhandler in the world, but he's one of the fastest players in the league, has a cannon of a shot, and will be paired with a guy like Doug Weight who is one of the best playmakers in the league. Brett Hull, who granted has slowed down won't have to lug the puck. He can materialize in the offensive zone and get off a one-timer off a pass from his likely linemate, the VERY fleet Mike Modano. Jamie Langenbrunner's a plumber, but he can skate, and score important goals, as evidenced by leading the playoffs in goalscoring last season.

2) I think the U.S. features alot of multidimensional players. Guys like Mike Modano and Craig Conroy can play equally well at both ends of the ice. A guy like Jeff Halpern doesn't get much pub, but he led his team in scoring and can be paired against a team's top line. Steve Konowalchuk can produce on the first or fourth line. Just because these guys aren't "name" players doesn't mean they can't get the job done.

3) Name the "bad" skaters on the U.S. team? Here ya go: Derian Hatcher, Brett Hull, Aaron Miller, and Chris Chelios. Among those four, Hatcher and Hull are the only really slow players, Miller and Chelios are merely average. The rest of the team features good to great skaters.

4) The average age of the U.S. team is a little over 30 years of age, hardly ancient. Again, Hull and Chelios are the only players in the twilight of their careers. Even a guy like Brian Leetch is still playing at an elite level, and it's not as if other teams won't feature veteran players at or near 40 years of age. The U.S. has a veteran roster, but it's a roster that features players still very capable of playing at a high level.

5) Who has lost their passion for the game? Tony Amonte? I don't know how any of us have the right to speak for a player when it comes to passion for the game.

6) Are we going to give Mike Modano, who has had what, one bad season in the past decade the benefit of the doubt, or are we going to keep calling him out? As the SLC Olympics showed, even players having difficult NHL seasons (John LeClair) can come up big in international play.

Trust me, I see some holes in the U.S. roster, mainly in goal, but I won't question the heart of the players, and can't discount their past accomplishments.

The Frugal Gourmet

Mar 3, 2002
New York, New York
Visit site
Well argued. I wouldn't really disagree with you.... I was more pointing out question marks that "may" be a concern than what will happen. Like I said, I think winning a top spot (again) is in no way out of the question.

Questioning passion is always a dicey area. There's no way to do it with a straight face because -- in all honesty -- nobody has any friggin' idea how what's going on behind the scenes. However, I more or less think of a huge cross-section of these American players as "been there.. done that" types. This may work to their advantage (experience) or disadvantage .. but I was postulating it could be a concern. Are these guys who will lay it all on the line for a World cup? I can't imagine that... but anything is possible.... It's just a theory I have.

Also, I still don't think my argument about the wingers is completely invalid. You stop Doug Weight and you stop that Guerin/Weight pairing you mentioned. Guerin can't create a play in the offensive zone to save his life. Stop Modano and you effectively stop the Hull/Modano line you mentioned (I've watched it happen more times than I can count). Compare that to other teams and it just seems to me a higer percentange of players can both stickhandle and score on amazing shots... they are like interchangeable parts.

So, as you pointed out, it's almost a game of complementary parts (team USA) vs. interchangeable parts (other teams). I thought this may be a disadvantage but you think it may be an advantage. We'll see, obviously.

Also I think team USA's efficacy depends a lot on their ability to be physical, and I'm not sure how this will work out in this particular competition. Sometimes that strategy backfires.

Like I said, I have possible concerns but it's all just speculation. They may a great system that works well for them, great goaltending, and go very far... again. In fact, I think it's pretty likely.

Let's face it, though, USA is a team made up of fantastic players. They have a great shot to go very, very far.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->