Team Quebec VS English Canada......

Status
Not open for further replies.

High flyin' Habs*

Devonator said:
Man when Quebec does separate (it will happen eventually so the English might as well get used to it) they will have one great International Hockey team....

As others have pointed out, there defense is suspect but what great forwards and the best goalies in the World!!

Team Quebec!!! Wow, that has a nice ring to it!!

Now we just need to get a Team Alberta and were laughing!! :handclap:
What makes you think that Quebec will separate?

aj

Mar 19, 2004
London, England
steblick said:
People have put Marleau on the "Quebec" team. He's from Saskatchewan is he not?

You mean the Patrick Marleau from Speedy Creek? Or some other guy named Marleau?

Team Saskatchewan would beat you all! :p:

QcS

Sep 13, 2003
au Québec!
Visit site
i'm from the Ottawa region (on the Québec side), nowhere in Québec is it more liberal than here... but i am all for the seperation of Québec.

Someone wrote that "we are giving the rest of canada a bad image of Québec" and that "we are self centered". Excuse me but you live right in the middle of Québec yet you do not even seem to understand what the seperation debate is about. It has nothing to do with hating canada, and it has nothing to do with "looking bad" or giving a bad image. It's a matter of opinion, and everyone's entitled to it :)

i do not HATE canada, in fact i love canada. I do think it's one of the best countries in the world to live in. I do not have ANY attachment to it though.. i do not feel patriotic in any way and do not feel like it's "my" country. It's just how it is.

Enough with the politics......

Someone posted that the Q never wins in Mem cup championships. Although true that not alot of teams have won since the tournament started, since the mid 90's, the Q teams are as competitive as any team in there. To say they would not stand a chance is wrong imo. Hull and Granby won in the 90's.. then Rimouski won. Hull (Gatineau) made it to the finals the last 2 years. The Q is competitive. It is true though that out of the 3 leagues, the style of play in the Q is very different from the other 2. It is more wide open, and penalties are called more on the hooking and grabbing. This makes for exciting hockey.

Here would be my lineup right now: (hope i'm not forgetting anyone)

Goalies:

Brodeur, Luongo, Theodore (reserve: Denis, Giguère)

Forwards:

St-Louis-Lemieux-Lecavalier
Gagné-Brière-Dazé
Dumont-P. Bergeron-Damphousse
Gélinas-M.Lapointe-P. Dupuis

(reserves: Robitaille-E. Bélanger-Turgeon, P.M. Bouchard-Vermette)

D-men:

Gauthier, Desjardins
Brisebois, P. Boucher,
Dandenault, J. Bouchard

(reserves: Y. Tremblay, M-A. Bergeron, Quintal)

a decent lineup.. with guys who can also play even if it's gritty (Lecavalier, Bergeron, Lapointe, Gauthier, etc..)

my 2 cents.

Last edited:

Bob Clarke Fan Club

Feb 14, 2003
Visit site
VanIslander said:
Exactly. The Gatineau Olympiques won the QMJHL but lost the Memorial Cup to the Kelowna Rockets of the westernmost province of B.C.

In the 85 year history of the Memorial Cup only seven teams from Quebec have won the championship series between league champions, and four of those were from Montreal fifty years ago!

In contrast, my hometown Kamloops Blazers from B.C. won it all three times. :)

Scoring 50 or even 100 goals in the Q means absolutely squat once the players come face to face with Canadian hockey players from elsewhere. That's partially why Gretzky's Ontario junior records are more meaningful than Lemieux's, though the true test of skill against defense lies in the WHL, as any NHL G.M. knows full well.

A star for Rimouski Oceanic may not shine so brightly in other leagues.

Sidney Crosby fans line up at the door.

Because Richards and Lecavalier have sucked sooooo bad.... :shakehead ....times are changing, so is the Q.

Bob Clarke Fan Club

Feb 14, 2003
Visit site
Team PEI......Brad Richards.....we seem to be lacking a little goaltending. Maybe in a few years Atlantic Canada can seperate too :shakehead Seperation talk should go on Political Forums should it not? This was a pretty good thread before the Language police showed up. :)

Kickabrat

WHAT - ME WORRY?
Jul 4, 2004
Ottawa
TML_FAN said:
Why is it that Quebec always cries about not getting it their way? Why is it that the west coast always gets forgotten about? Why is Quebec so determined to separate? Why is this topic starter signaling out one province? Why can’t we just be happy to be united as one? Why did the PM of Quebec say that there were too many Canadian flags at the Olympics, and not enough Quebec flags? Why is it illegal to post English signs in Quebec? Why do I get so frustrated over these things? By the way I’m from Ontario, but more importantly I’m from Canada!!!!
steblick said:
People have put Marleau on the "Quebec" team. He's from Saskatchewan is he not?
(yes he is.)
GTF said:
Where's Aucoin from? I had no idea he was French. Bad assumption on my part.
he was born in Ottawa.

And it is because I knew questions like the above were bound to be asked was why I originally queried the phrasing of the question put forth by Monkey_0. Because he labelled the team outside of Quebec, Team "English" Canada, it opened up a whole can of worms (intentionally or not). Are we talking about french named vs english named players? Quebec born vs non-quebec born? Played in the QMHL or outside the QMHL? Lived in quebec at least 1 year? Yet when I ask for clarification from Monkey_0 he acts all defensive tells me to chill and grow up and does not answer the question. Which was:

Kickabrat said:
If there is an english speaking quebeker, does he play for team quebec or Team ENGLISH Canada? And if a player is born in quebec but grew up in Ontario is he eligble to play for both or does he have to speak french to play on team quebec? Why would Lemieux be on team quebec, he's lived in Pittsburgh for over 20 years and only lived in quebec for 18. What the criteria is here.
I have as yet not gotten an answer to this question from Monkey_0. I personally feel quite offended by the way he has phrased his question, but that could be just me and because of my background being born an "allophone" in quebec. If he had said team of Quebec born versus non-quebec born, I would have not even of brought up the issue, it was the segration of Team Canada into "English" and Quebec that got me upset and begged for clarification which still has not been given.

By the way, if it is of any interest to anyone, including Blake, Pronger, and Belfour, this was the breakdown of where players were born who were selected to Team Canada: ON:7; QC 7: AB 5: BC 4: SK 4: PEI 1: MB 1.

Kafka

Mar 1, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
We used to have Norris winners like Raymond Bourque, Denis Potvin, Jacques Laperriere, Doug Harvey and Pierre Pilote, but it's true that the LHJMQ isn't producing the type of defensman the teams want.... tall and big defensmans.

Still, Canada will lack deaply our goaltenders..... Belfour is about done, and there is only Turco's who is left.

Even with their defensmen, I think a team-quebec would be able to fight with the big teams: i.e. being far better than Slovakia and Germany and being able to beat Finland, Sweden, etc.... anyway, the population in Quebec is the same as in Finland!

Kafka

Mar 1, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
I would be interesting to form a Canada Cup with each provinces having their team.... maritimes could for one team, with Richards, Ryder and Crosby all playing with the same team...

Bob Clarke Fan Club

Feb 14, 2003
Visit site
Kickabrat said:
(yes he is.)
he was born in Ottawa.[/color]

I have as yet not gotten an answer to this question from Monkey_0. I personally feel quite offended by the way he has phrased his question, but that could be just me and because of my background being born an "allophone" in quebec. If he had said team of Quebec born versus non-quebec born, I would have not even of brought up the issue, it was the segration of Team Canada into "English" and Quebec that got me upset and begged for clarification which still has not been given.

It's a hockey and geographical question....somehow I think you're getting upset for the wrong reasons. He probably didn't answer because it seems like a pretty irrelevant question in regards to hockey. Try posting this on the political board and see if anyone else gets upset. Anyways...seems no one else needs clarification.

Pangolin

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
English Canadian is a term used commonly by people who refer to provinces outside of Quebec. And French Canadian is used to refer to the people of Quebec.

Kickabrat: You're mistaking English Canada and French Canadian with English-speaking Canadian (or Anglophone) and French-speaking Canadian (or Francophone).

See here how when the writer wants to separate the people using language, he writes The relationship between English-speaking and French-speaking Canadians is one of the most important elements of Canadian politics. Where as when a writer wants to refer to them by province, they do so like the title of this article Rural Society, English Canada, where he talks about the provinces by region "ACADIAN communities in the Atlantic region are 150 years older than settlements in Alberta; landholding divisions in Lower Canada (see SEIGNEURIAL SYSTEM) are distinct from the "quarter sections" of the prairies."

Is this a satisfactory answer?

Bob Clarke Fan Club

Feb 14, 2003
Visit site
Pangolin said:
English Canadian is a term used commonly by people who refer to provinces outside of Quebec. And French Canadian is used to refer to the people of Quebec.

Kickabrat: You're mistaking English Canada and French Canadian with English-speaking Canadian (or Anglophone) and French-speaking Canadian (or Francophone).

See here how when the writer wants to separate the people using language, he writes The relationship between English-speaking and French-speaking Canadians is one of the most important elements of Canadian politics. Where as when a writer wants to refer to them by province, they do so like the title of this article Rural Society, English Canada, where he talks about the provinces by region "ACADIAN communities in the Atlantic region are 150 years older than settlements in Alberta; landholding divisions in Lower Canada (see SEIGNEURIAL SYSTEM) are distinct from the "quarter sections" of the prairies."

Nicely done :)

symon

Jul 16, 2004
Québec
Kafka said:
I would be interesting to form a Canada Cup with each provinces having their team.... maritimes could for one team, with Richards, Ryder and Crosby all playing with the same team...

Yep, it could be interresting to do kind of Canada Cup. I would see it geographicly as a tournament like the Memorial Cup. The only change I would see would be a team for Atlantic Canada.

So, there would be 4 teams:

Atlantic Canada
Québec
Ontario
West Canada

Kickabrat

WHAT - ME WORRY?
Jul 4, 2004
Ottawa
Pangolin said:
Kickabrat: You're mistaking English Canada and French Canadian with English-speaking Canadian (or Anglophone) and French-speaking Canadian (or Francophone). See here how when the writer wants to separate the people using language, he writes The relationship between English-speaking and French-speaking Canadians is one of the most important elements of Canadian politics.</FONT></FONT></FONT> Where as when a writer wants to refer to them by province, they do so like the title of this article Rural Society, English Canada</FONT></FONT></FONT>, where he talks about the provinces by region "ACADIAN communities in the Atlantic region are 150 years older than settlements in Alberta; landholding divisions in Lower Canada (see SEIGNEURIAL SYSTEM) are distinct from the "quarter sections" of the prairies."

Well thank you for backing up my position and finding the right quote for me. As the you can see, I am not the one mistaken here since it was Monkey_0 who came up with Team Quebec and Team English Canada when according to your reference source he should have said Team Quebec and Team Outside of Quebec (or Rest of Canada) or he could have said Team French vs Team English. Thanks.

Bob Clarke Fan Club said:
Anyways...seems no one else needs clarification.
Well if you had bothered to read the previous posts instead of jumping in with both feet and eyes wide shut, (although from a bobby clarke fan who could expect more), you would have seen that there are a few who are confused as to who would go on what team.

For instance: Eric Chouinard= Que or USA? Jiri Fischer=Que or Check? Justin Papineau=Que or English Canada? Brad Richards= English Canada or Que? Eric Beaudoin=Que or English Canada? Patrick Marleau Que or English Canada? Steve Gainey=Que or English Canada? Marc Savard =Que or Engish Canada? Ethan Moreau Que or English Canada? Dan Cloutier=Que or English Canada? Sebastien Bordeleau= Que or English Canada? Manny Fernandez=Que or English Canada? Craid Rivet Que or English Canada? Matthew Barnaby Que or English Canada? Adrian Aucoin=Que or English Canada? All the above and probably more could go on either team depending on what criteria you use.

Do I need to go on or is the point getting through?

QcS

Sep 13, 2003
au Québec!
Visit site
are you confused as to how player eligibility is established for international competitions? just see Québec as if it was a different country.. players born in Québec are eligible to play for them. It doesn't seem very complicated to me.

Kickabrat

WHAT - ME WORRY?
Jul 4, 2004
Ottawa
Leph28 said:
are you confused as to how player eligibility is established for international competitions? just see Québec as if it was a different country.. players born in Québec are eligible to play for them. It doesn't seem very complicated to me.
Fine by me. Why wasn't that established to begin with. Place of birth determines where you play regardless of what language you speak or don't speak. So what you are saying is that everyone should assume this is what Monkey_0 meant and that his use of terminology by calling the rest of Canada "English" Canada was just for expediency. Was that so hard for Monkey_0 to point out instead of skirting the issue for two days?

And by how international eligibility is established I think it is you that is confused not I. I guess you are not referring to cases such as Peter Nedved born in Czech but played internationally for Canada and therefore is not eligble for Team Rest of Canada according to your interpretation of what Monkey_0 meant. So just so we're clear, players like Steve Gainey, born in Montreal spent at most 10 years of their lives in Quebec and played junior outside the Q, are eligle only for Team Quebec and players like Mathew Barnaby, born in Ottawa but played Junior in the Q are not.

shakes

Pep City
Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
Kickabrat said:
Well thank you for backing up my position and finding the right quote for me. As the you can see, I am not the one mistaken here since it was Monkey_0 who came up with Team Quebec and Team English Canada when according to your reference source he should have said Team Quebec and Team Outside of Quebec (or Rest of Canada) or he could have said Team French vs Team English. Thanks.

Well if you had bothered to read the previous posts instead of jumping in with both feet and eyes wide shut, (although from a bobby clarke fan who could expect more), you would have seen that there are a few who are confused as to who would go on what team.

For instance: Eric Chouinard= Que or USA? Jiri Fischer=Que or Check? Justin Papineau=Que or English Canada? Brad Richards= English Canada or Que? Eric Beaudoin=Que or English Canada? Patrick Marleau Que or English Canada? Steve Gainey=Que or English Canada? Marc Savard =Que or Engish Canada? Ethan Moreau Que or English Canada? Dan Cloutier=Que or English Canada? Sebastien Bordeleau= Que or English Canada? Manny Fernandez=Que or English Canada? Craid Rivet Que or English Canada? Matthew Barnaby Que or English Canada? Adrian Aucoin=Que or English Canada? All the above and probably more could go on either team depending on what criteria you use.

Do I need to go on or is the point getting through?

I think the only one confused here is you. Everyone understood the criteria, it's just some people are assuming players with French names are from Quebec and others are trying to hijack the thread with this stupid seperatism talk.

Kickabrat

WHAT - ME WORRY?
Jul 4, 2004
Ottawa
shakes said:
I think the only one confused here is you. Everyone understood the criteria, it's just some people are assuming players with French names are from Quebec and others are trying to hijack the thread with this stupid seperatism talk.
Obviously I am not the only one who did not undersdtand the criteria. The ONLY reason people with french names were included in team Quebec was because a reference was made to Team ENGLISH Canada. If the criteria was stated as players born in Quebec vs players born outside Quebec there would have been no confusion. You are assuming that just because you interpreted the criteria a certain way that everyone else got it the same way as you, which from several posts is not the case.

shakes

Pep City
Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
Kickabrat said:
Obviously I am not the only one who did not undersdtand the criteria. The ONLY reason people with french names were included in team Quebec was because a reference was made to Team ENGLISH Canada. If the criteria was stated as players born in Quebec vs players born outside Quebec there would have been no confusion. You are assuming that just because you interpreted the criteria a certain way that everyone else got it the same way as you, which from several posts is not the case.

Several of your posts you mean. For some reason you seem to be hung up on this French/English thing and need to make a big deal about it.

The quote that you thought backed you up actually didnt and he was trying to explain to you why the original poster named the thread this way. You, on the other hand, had some point you felt you needed to prove so you drag it out acting like you couldnt figure out this criteria so that you could get Monkey to say something that you wanted.

edit to fix run on sentence..oops

Kickabrat

WHAT - ME WORRY?
Jul 4, 2004
Ottawa
shakes said:
Several of your posts you mean. For some reason you seem to be hung up on this French/English thing and need to make a big deal about it.

The quote that you thought backed you up actually didnt and he was trying to explain to you why the original poster named the thread this way. You, on the other hand, had some point you felt you needed to prove so you drag it out acting like you couldnt figure out this criteria so that you could get Monkey to say something that you wanted.
So according to you, you were smart enough to figure out that someone born in Germany but moved to Quebec as an infant, lived in Quebec and played their junior hockey in Quebec, would not be eligible for Team Quebec. I bow to your obvious superior intellect (sarcasm doesn't translate well in posts so I'll just note this is sarcasm, but with your superior intellect I'm sure you already figured that out) (more sarcasm just in case you didn't).

My point about the Team English reference was that it introduced ambiguity to the question that could have been resolved simply and quickly by saying birth place was the criteria. The fact thay Monkey_0 repeatedly refused to clarify the situation just compounded the inference that he was implying something else.

As for only my posts, if you had bothered to read them all you would have seen my reference to other equally confused people.

BuppY

xGoodwillx
Dec 24, 2003
relatednews.net
Team Ontario:

Rick Nash Joe Thornton Todd Bertuzzi
Marc Savard Jason Arnott Owen Nolan
Gary Roberts Jason Spezza Steve Sullivan
Cory Stillman Jason Allison Jeff O'neil
Kris draper Eric Lindros Scott Walker

Chris Pronger Rob Blake
Bryan McCabe Ed Jovonovsky
Adrian Aucoin Adam Foote
Dan Boyle Nick Boynton

Marty Turco
Andrew Raycroft
Kevin Weekes

Other Dave

Jan 7, 2003
New and improved in TO
Visit site
Pangolin said:
English Canadian is a term used commonly by people who refer to provinces outside of Quebec.

"English Canadian" is a term commonly used in error by people who don't know, for example, that there are over a half million French-speaking Canadians in the province of Ontario.

NucksOnly

Go Whitecaps & Lions
Sep 6, 2004
Vancouver
Canada West

P.Kariya/J.Sakic/J.Iginla
R.Symth/S.Yzerman/B.Isbister
L.Langkow/P.Marleau/S.Doan
J.Friesen/B.Morrison/M. Recchi

Spares:R.Niedermayer, M.Comrie, R. Whitney, G.Brule

S.Niedermayer/W.Redden
S.Hannan/J.Bouwmeester
E.Brewer/R.Regehr(Born in Brazil but since he plays for calgary we'll take him :D )
D.Hamihuis/B.Stuart

Spares: K.Mclaren, M.Rathje

E.Belfour
A. Auld

*If ya can find any better goaltenders from the west plz tell me! :shakehead
*Canada West has abundance of LW's and very few natural RW's

If ya don't like it flame away

Last edited:

NucksOnly

Go Whitecaps & Lions
Sep 6, 2004
Vancouver
BuppY said:
you forgot Heatley

Oooooh...thnx! how could I forget...errr native of calgary?

Canada West

P.Kariya/J.Sakic/J.Iginla
R.Symth/S.Yzerman/D.Heatley
L.Langkow/P.Marleau/S.Doan
J.Friesen/B.Morrison/M. Recchi

Spares:B. Isbister, M.Comrie, R. Whitney, G.Brule

S.Niedermayer/W.Redden
S.Hannan/J.Bouwmeester
E.Brewer/R.Regehr(Born in Brazil but since he plays for calgary we'll take him )
D.Hamihuis/B.Stuart

Spares: K.Mclaren, M.Rathje

E.Belfour
A. Auld

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad