Team Performance/Standing vs. Fan Expectation/Excitement on HF

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
I've seen many posts of this ilk from different fan bases in different thread types:

"I don't know why they seem so arrogant, they haven't won a thing."

"Come back and talk to me when you've won something."

"Hopefully they lose so they won't be so arrogant, which came from winning one game."

Etc.. etc.. Here is my question. Why is it that over here, a team has to earn their stripes for a fan to earn their stripes as a poster? Why does there have be a certain criteria of "You aren't allowed to show excitement, pride, passion about your team or their players until they win it all/win the big award."

If your team is bad or their players are bad, are we as fans supposed to sit there, be sad, be depressed and show 0 positive emotion until 1) Our team lets it happen, or 2) until another fan base says its ok? To me, this seems to be the expectation on this board. And its bullshit. Don't be happy, don't be excited until we say its ok. Stay quiet, stay sad, until it is deemed socially acceptable around these parts. f*** that.

I don't understand this. Even through the bad times, if something positive drops in, if there is a ray of sunshine. Why not be positive? Why not be excited?

Yes, sometimes expectations are out of whack based off of too little. It goes overboard. Maybe, these things should be consolidated here a little better, so its less of an eyesore, causing lasting hatred or bitterness.

Maybe some posters here are fans of a team where when things are bad, the team is ignored, the building is empty, and you move on to your NFL team, until things are better with the NHL team. Until they are allowed or it is socially acceptable to cheer for them again. But that is not the case for all teams.

You don't need to dictate when another fan base should be happy or excited, or condemn their happiness when you feel they shouldn't be allowed to be happy. You shouldn't expected complete quiet and depression when things aren't going 100%. If you can't be positive when things are dark, what's the point of being a fan? Your team goes 1-81 and you and you find a way to try an find some optimism or excitement? Bless you. You are a true fan. Keep doing what you are doing, don't let someone else put you down because if they were in your shoes, they would be a miserable prick.

Reactions: Nizdizzle

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
Because lots of posters on this site aren't actually interested in talking about hockey. They just want to put down or trash talk their rival teams fans. These posters are easy to spot, and if you are diligent on placing them on ignore the quality of your forum experience will increase exponentially.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Hm. Kind of like how fans from some markets get dismissed as not knowing what they're talking about because they're fans of a "non-traditional" team? Particularly one that (until VERY recently) has never had anything even vaguely resembling success?

Nope. Don't know what you're talking about. Not at all. :)

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
There's nothing wrong with cheering for your team and being positive when your team does things well.

There is something wrong when you demand recognition, attention and respect from fans of other teams when your team does things well.

It generally has the opposite effect. Look at Sens fanboys and Karlsson.

It will happen on its own, naturally, over time.

Tall Morty

Visualize the action to actualize the vision
Apr 18, 2017
I've seen many posts of this ilk from different fan bases in different thread types:

"I don't know why they seem so arrogant, they haven't won a thing."

"Come back and talk to me when you've won something."

"Hopefully they lose so they won't be so arrogant, which came from winning one game."

Etc.. etc.. Here is my question. Why is it that over here, a team has to earn their stripes for a fan to earn their stripes as a poster? Why does there have be a certain criteria of "You aren't allowed to show excitement, pride, passion about your team or their players until they win it all/win the big award."

If your team is bad or their players are bad, are we as fans supposed to sit there, be sad, be depressed and show 0 positive emotion until 1) Our team lets it happen, or 2) until another fan base says its ok? To me, this seems to be the expectation on this board. And its bull****. Don't be happy, don't be excited until we say its ok. Stay quiet, stay sad, until it is deemed socially acceptable around these parts. **** that.

I don't understand this. Even through the bad times, if something positive drops in, if there is a ray of sunshine. Why not be positive? Why not be excited?

Yes, sometimes expectations are out of whack based off of too little. It goes overboard. Maybe, these things should be consolidated here a little better, so its less of an eyesore, causing lasting hatred or bitterness.

Maybe some posters here are fans of a team where when things are bad, the team is ignored, the building is empty, and you move on to your NFL team, until things are better with the NHL team. Until they are allowed or it is socially acceptable to cheer for them again. But that is not the case for all teams.

You don't need to dictate when another fan base should be happy or excited, or condemn their happiness when you feel they shouldn't be allowed to be happy. You shouldn't expected complete quiet and depression when things aren't going 100%. If you can't be positive when things are dark, what's the point of being a fan? Your team goes 1-81 and you and you find a way to try an find some optimism or excitement? Bless you. You are a true fan. Keep doing what you are doing, don't let someone else put you down because if they were in your shoes, they would be a miserable prick.

We know you're talking about the Leafs.

Honestly, I think it's just trash talk. I wouldn't let it bother you. If it does, I would recommend that you stop reading HF. While you're at it, don't go to Youtube, Facebook, Twitter, or anywhere people are allowed to comment. There will always be people who attempt to trash talk or troll online.

Reactions: KirkAlbuquerque

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
Hm. Kind of like how fans from some markets get dismissed as not knowing what they're talking about because they're fans of a "non-traditional" team? Particularly one that (until VERY recently) has never had anything even vaguely resembling success?

Nope. Don't know what you're talking about. Not at all. :)

I love the Jackets and even bought their bee jersey while I was in Atlanta seeing a Thrashers game!

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
Honestly the main boards should be set up like the OHL ones are.

Thread for each team. And if a player gets brought up for the first time, that is the start of his all-encompassing thread.

Instead of:
Matthews God
Matthews 50 goals
Matthews > Laine
Does Matthews eat Cinnamon Toast Crunch?
Would Matthews be a cat if he were an animal?

or

Leafs are awesome
Leafs look like crap
Leafs in 3 years
Are the Leafs the best Canadian team?
Are the Leafs grammatically correct?

Consolidate into one. Less salt, less hate, one place.

Tall Morty

Visualize the action to actualize the vision
Apr 18, 2017
Honestly the main boards should be set up like the OHL ones are.

Thread for each team. And if a player gets brought up for the first time, that is the start of his all-encompassing thread.

Instead of:
Matthews God
Matthews 50 goals
Matthews > Laine
Does Matthews eat Cinnamon Toast Crunch?
Would Matthews be a cat if he were an animal?

or

Leafs are awesome
Leafs look like crap
Leafs in 3 years
Are the Leafs the best Canadian team?
Are the Leafs grammatically correct?

Consolidate into one. Less salt, less hate, one place.

Obviously he would be a polar bear. King of the North!

/thread

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad