Team Ontario wins U17!

Torts

Aug 21, 2009
Ontario
Other then some questionable goals let in by the goalie an all around solid effort by these young kids

Glad to see players I watch in the OHL succeed internationally

I hope to see most of these players at U20 development and selection camps in coming years

Anyone else have any input or any players that stood out!

P.S. Anyone have video of Matthew Campagna's penalty shot move???

Garyboy

Oct 31, 2010
Toronto
Ontario should have won this by 4 or 5 goals. They had a considerable speed, size, and skill advantage. The Americans were slippery and hung in there though.

How about that penalty shot by Campagna! He sure is silky smooth out there. Monahan looked great out there.

canucks20

Oct 12, 2009
I was really looking forward to Altshuller play but he really was not that great out there, you could definately tell he was extremely nervous which I don't blame him for. By the sounds of it though those were his only weak goals all tournament and he played extremely well all week. He just got lucky enough that team Ontario was so good that they could still win when he did not have his greatest game. The one line of Gaunce Laughton and Marcantuoni stood out as well as Monhahan who had a great game.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Congrats to team Pacific for their comeback win over Quebec in the Bronze game as well.

That Shinkaruk seems to be a real player in Medicine Hat.

Guss

Nov 15, 2008
Still don`t understand why Sweden wasn`t invited, would have been some nice games since our u17 i very strong this year. guess it`s easier to beat Germany and Slovakia :)

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
Still don`t understand why Sweden wasn`t invited, would have been some nice games since our u17 i very strong this year. guess it`s easier to beat Germany and Slovakia :)

Who to say they weren't invited?
Maybe they were and declined!

leoleo3535

Feb 25, 2010
hockey rinks

The 4 European teams are determined on a rotation basis from a pool of teams that includes Russia, Sweden, the Czech Republic, Slovakia, Finland and Germany.

This year Russia and Sweden did not participate.

Winnipeg Jets

Lucky #7
Feb 19, 2010
Winnipeg
That was an awesome penalty shot move!

I thought our goalie let in some really questionable goals, mostly from far out. They hung in though and got the win in my old city though so I'm happy.

How many of these kids do you think we'll see at the U20 WJHC?

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010

Yes Canada attempts to rig this tournament to make it easier to win... that's why the country is split into five regions.

leoleo3535

Feb 25, 2010
hockey rinks
Yes Canada attempts to rig this tournament to make it easier to win... that's why the country is split into five regions.

??????

Which actually dilutes what could be one impressive team.

It is a tournament that is run by Hockey Canada.
The rules / format is well known.

If countries don't like the format they are free to not participate.

Guss

Nov 15, 2008

The Swedish hockey federation, the u17 coaching staff also comented on the topic when they were on tour in Canada playing against some SJHL teams, they had no idea why they weren`t invited.

Andy Dufresne

Jun 17, 2009
The Swedish hockey federation, the u17 coaching staff also comented on the topic when they were on tour in Canada playing against some SJHL teams, they had no idea why they weren`t invited.

That is kind of strange. You'd think they would want as many strong competitive teams as possible.

Watching Ontario, and seeing some of the WHL kids this year, i'd say the future of Team Canada at the WJC is very bright:handclap:

Guss

Nov 15, 2008
That is kind of strange. You'd think they would want as many strong competitive teams as possible.

Watching Ontario, and seeing some of the WHL kids this year, i'd say the future of Team Canada at the WJC is very bright:handclap:
Kinda off topic but Sweden u17 were playing some SJHL teams when they weren`t invited what kind of talent level are those teams at ? Flin flon, Humboldt, Battleford, LaRonge?

leoleo3535

Feb 25, 2010
hockey rinks

Which is BS as they know the Euorpean rules. None of these rules are new or from right field.

JeromeHP

Jan 9, 2003
Montreal
hockeyprospect.com
One guy who impress me was Tom Wilson of team ontario, he was hitting everything in the final and clearly didnt look like a 16yo. He was a monster along the board and hit like a train. Whats more amazing is that he played most of the tournament with a broken arm.

Seth Jones & Jacob Trouba were really impressive for team usa. Bright futur for those 2 d-men. i was expecting more from Stefan Matteau, he was really good in last year telus cup in Levis, qc but didnt noticed him much in that game.

and...what a move by Campagna!! to do that move on national tv and in front of 12000 + fans and in a 1 goal game late in the 3rd period. kudos to him.

Having only seen the final, Sean Monahan was definitely the most impressive prospect in the game. Terrific size, physicality, mobility, smarts, and hands. He looked like the complete package. His numbers in Ottawa look like they've been improving over the course of the season so far and I'd expect that to continue based on the level of play he was demonstrating.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad