Team of the Decade: 4th line Center

4th line Center

• Total voters

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Up next we have what could be a competitive bout for the final starting center position this decade.

Below are the NYR player stats for the decade... (Note, the second half of the 09-10 season is not included in these stats, unfortunately)

Player Season Finder | Hockey-Reference.com

Team of the Decade

Forward
Kreider-Stepan-Gaborik
Dubinsky-Zibanejad-Zuccarello
Hagelin-Brassard-Nash
____-_____-Callahan

Extra Forwards ______-_____

Defense
McDonagh-Girardi
Staal-Stralman
Yandle-Klein

7th defenseman -_____

Goalies

Lundqvist
Talbot

Head Coach- John Tortorella

Reactions: Leonardo87

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Broadway Brad was our top line center for two very important seasons. He was never at the top of his game with us, but to me that beats out Hayes's 5 seasons of Middle Six centering.

Hayes is my #1 guy for an extra forward though. He and Boyle. Goes to show we actually had some pretty good depth at center this decade- we were just always short of a superstar at that position.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Assuming this is done "all-star" team style, and not with the intent of trying to find a guy to play the role of a fourth line center, I went with Richards.

He under-performed, but if you took out salary and expectations, I still think his off-peak was better than Hayes peak.

BleedBlueNYR

Jan 25, 2019
New York
Richards. He had a few clutch playoff moments namely the game 7 gwg vs Pittsburgh. That’s one I’ll probably never forget. That whole season was awesome, why couldn’t we get the story book ending?

OverTheCap

Jan 3, 2009
Kind of conflicted here... if we were fielding an actual team, then Boyle is better suited for 4th line duties. If we're going with who was the 4th best center of the last decade due to offensive production, then Hayes or Richards is more appropriate.

And it's possible that Richards awful stint as 4th line center in 2013 and 2014 is clouding my judgment a bit. Think I'm gonna marinate on this one before casting a vote.

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
Assuming this is done "all-star" team style, and not with the intent of trying to find a guy to play the role of a fourth line center, I went with Richards.

He under-performed, but if you took out salary and expectations, I still think his off-peak was better than Hayes peak.
I went with Moore. When I saw 4C, I forgot for a second that we are choosing all-star team style.

BKGooner

Jun 23, 2017
Man this is really looking like a team that could lose to the kings in the Final after some key injuries.

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
Haha, that’s the interesting part about these endeavors - there’s a lot of room for different approaches.

I went back and forth between Richards and Hayes. It was a more difficult decision than I expected.
Yea same here. I would have voted for one of those if I could change my vote. At first I was like definitely Hayes but then I started to think about it.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
Richards was an albatross whose precipitous fall off a cliff was a major part of us not winning a cup. He also scored that 6.6 second goal and his leadership in the clubhouse was a huge part of us making it to the cup finals.

Hayes was a stud prospect who chose us, kept working his ass off, always improved and netted us a great return before going off to pull a Richards on Philly. hayes wins.

Boyle is another guy who Barb'd himself into being better, was always a net positive for us, was a great leader and helped anchor the bottom of the lineup. He was a great guy and a fantastic player here even though he was a black hole offensively. He also didn't rake us over the coals contract wise after his 20 G season. I always really appreciated that.

D Moore was also a fantastic leader and player for us. It was always a shit decision to let him go the first time. He just isn't on the same level as Hayes.

Reactions: egelband

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
I think Richards would have been considered an albatross if he had needed to play out the full 9 years of his contract, but, much like Scott Gomez, we were able to get rid of him at the exact right time. What he gave us was pretty OK relative to his cap hit for those three seasons.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
I think it should be Hayes. He impacted the team for a longer period although you could argue Richards had the best season of the two.

With that said, it's my vote so Brian Boyle it is.

Jabroni

The People's Champ
Jun 1, 2008
Went with Hayes here, although Richards would be a good candidate from the list as well.

I was assuming this was a "best team" lineup, otherwise if it was a "who is the best player to fit in the 4th line center position", it would be either Boyle or Moore, with the edge going to Boyle for tenure and playoff acumen.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Went with Hayes here, although Richards would be a good candidate from the list as well.

I was assuming this was a "best team" lineup, otherwise if it was a "who is the best player to fit in the 4th line center position", it would be either Boyle or Moore, with the edge going to Boyle for tenure and playoff acumen.

My thinking is generally "Biggest positive contribution of the decade" for voting. If you think a 5 year 4th line center did more to help the franchise than a 3 years 1/2C, that's the vote. But the team isn't constructed with 'roles' in mind like a regular NHL roster.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad