Team Needs for 2016

robert terwilliger

the bart, the
Nov 14, 2005
sw florida
i think price ends up with the cardinals, personally.

they just signed that huge tv deal and will have more money to commit to the team. while they're not going to become the dodgers, i think it's feasible for them to sign both heyward and price. cots has them around 90 million going into 2016, down from 122 in 2015 and losing some bullpen guys and jaime garcia.

MurrayBannerman

I post about baseball on a hockey forum
Feb 18, 2012
CHI
Will cry. Also, why the hell do they need pitching? Reyes, Wainwright, Wacha, Lynn and Marco Gonzalez seem to be their projected rotation.

robert terwilliger

the bart, the
Nov 14, 2005
sw florida
it's not a dire need but i think it would be easier for them to sign price and look at trading some other guys to fill their offensive needs.

chris davis might fill a need but they already have matt adams. jupton is a good player but they have holliday and potentially heyward at the corners. they're a team that i don't think can fill a need with free agency.

Pwnasaurus

Feb 21, 2003
Robot City
Will cry. Also, why the hell do they need pitching? Reyes, Wainwright, Wacha, Lynn and Marco Gonzalez seem to be their projected rotation.

Gonzalez was hurt most of the year, Reyes might not be ready yet, Wainwright is coming off a year in which he missed most of it, Lynn just looks like he's hurt or is ready for an injury and Wacha is coming off an injury/quersions surrounding his ineffectiveness down the stretch.

They'll likely take the option on Garcia as well because it's cheap for his productivity when healthy.

MurrayBannerman

Feb 18, 2012
CHI
Gonzalez was hurt most of the year, Reyes might not be ready yet, Wainwright is coming off a year in which he missed most of it, Lynn just looks like he's hurt or is ready for an injury and Wacha is coming off an injury/quersions surrounding his ineffectiveness down the stretch.

They'll likely take the option on Garcia as well because it's cheap for his productivity when healthy.

Didn't Moz say something about Reyes taking the next step this year?

Personally, I think Davis makes sense for them. Particularly because Adams becomes a movable asset at that point.

Pwnasaurus

Feb 21, 2003
Robot City
Didn't Moz say something about Reyes taking the next step this year?

Personally, I think Davis makes sense for them. Particularly because Adams becomes a movable asset at that point.

He mentioned he'd be "in the mix", I just don't want to take the leap that he'll be in the starting rotation in 2016. Anything is possible though but they have other less sexy options.

I think Adams is awful and if his trade value was low before because he's not that good at baseball, it's entirely gone at this point coming off a year where he was basically out for the year after simply running to 2nd base.

MurrayBannerman

Feb 18, 2012
CHI
He mentioned he'd be "in the mix", I just don't want to take the leap that he'll be in the starting rotation in 2016. Anything is possible though but they have other less sexy options.

I think Adams is awful and if his trade value was low before because he's not that good at baseball, it's entirely gone at this point coming off a year where he was basically out for the year after simply running to 2nd base.

Which is even more of a reason to sign Davis.

robert terwilliger

the bart, the
Nov 14, 2005
sw florida
or sign heyward, stick piscotty at first and leave your corners of holliday/heyward.

it's not as if lhb are their weakness, they still have carpenter and would keep heyward. i think heyward is their linchpin because i think his defense is elite enough to carry his sometimes weak bat. he's entering free agency at 26 with a track record of okayish offense but absolute elite defense. i know sheehan wrote that he'd overpay for him to the tune of like, 7/126, but i don't think he gets that much because of dem rbi.

Pwnasaurus

Feb 21, 2003
Robot City
or sign heyward, stick piscotty at first and leave your corners of holliday/heyward.

This is the most likely scenario IMO. Holliday comes off the books via team option in 2017 and that can't get here soon enough. Leave Adams for depth purposes. Like Marianas Trench deep.

Also, Peralta likely suffers even further defensively this year. He was short arming everything this year, even the routine mid range stuff. I think a priority is a viable backup middle infielder than can actually play meaningful games.

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
This is the most likely scenario IMO. Holliday comes off the books via team option in 2017 and that can't get here soon enough. Leave Adams for depth purposes. Like Marianas Trench deep.

Also, Peralta likely suffers even further defensively this year. He was short arming everything this year, even the routine mid range stuff. I think a priority is a viable backup middle infielder than can actually play meaningful games.

C Molina
1B Piscotty
2B Wong
3B Carpenter
SS Peralta
RF Heyward
CF Grichuk
LF Holliday

BN: Pham, Jay, Adams, UTIL IF who is not Pete Kozma (Garcia?), backup C (probably Cruz unfortunately).

I think Bourjos is still under contract but he probably gets traded. I'd trade Adams too and re-sign Reynolds.

Wainwright
Martinez
Lynn
Wacha
Garcia/Gonzales/Reyes/Cooney?

Bullpen:
LH: Siegrist, Lyons
RH: Rosenthal, Maness, Cishek, 2 of Tuivailala/FA/Non-Roster invitee guy

gopherman23

Jul 10, 2013
Minnesota
Apparently the Twins will be aggressively targeting relief pitching in the Free Agent market. They will also be pursuing a reunion with Piersynski to pair with Suzuki.

UnknownNasty

Oct 5, 2014
The Yankees will apparently not go after the big name pitchers (Greinke, Price, Cueto). Instead, they will aim for guys who can slot into the middle/back of the rotation, guys such as Jeff Samardzija, Mike Leake and Scott Kazmir. Also, sources in the Yankees organization have rumoredly said that Greg Bird will have to grind it out in triple A until Mark Teixeira's contract expires in 2016.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
The Yankees will apparently not go after the big name pitchers (Greinke, Price, Cueto). Instead, they will aim for guys who can slot into the middle/back of the rotation, guys such as Jeff Samardzija, Mike Leake and Scott Kazmir. Also, sources in the Yankees organization have rumoredly said that Greg Bird will have to grind it out in triple A until Mark Teixeira's contract expires in 2016.

Yankees rotation is good and will be for a while. Tanaka isn't an ace but he's very good. A very good no. 2 at the minimum and borderline 1. Pineda is a very good 3 at minimum and a capable no. 2 for sure. Eovaldi is looking like a solid 3 at minimum. Severino is looks to be very good as well but has a small sample size. Yeah they could use an ace... most teams could, but subbing in a solid pitcher like Leake/Zimmerman instead of CC or Nova and you don't really have a weakness.

The Yankees can hit but they are bad in the field and they are old, slow and injury prone. Tex, A-Rod, Beltran are ancient and while they will produce they can't stay healthy and they can't run. McCann is slow too but can still hit for power. Ellsbury is injury prone. They have no 2b and there is no spot for Bird. Can Didi continue is play from the 2nd half?

Bullpen is obviously a strength with Betances and Miller but their depth isn't great either. They aren't balanced but dangerous. They don't need a rebuild. They have a strong core but they need to wait until A-Rod, Tex, Beltran contracts are up to turn it over.

getzforfighting*

2016 Braves

C-Pierzynski*
1B-Freeman
2B-Peterson
3B-Olivera
SS-Simmons
LF-???
CF-Maybin
RF-Markakis

BN-Bethancourt
BN-Bourn
BN-Swisher
BN-Garcia
BN-Middle INF (Castro,FA)

SP-Miller
SP-Teheran
SP-Wisler
SP-FA
SP-Minor**/Perez/Folty/Banuelos (This spot will be a battle)

CP-Vizcaino
RP-Simmons
RP-Withrow
RP-Winkler
RP-Internal Player/FA
RP-Internal Player/FA(LEFTY)

*Pending FA
**Health Concern

I feel like it will be another long season for the Braves. A lot of the positions are already filled, especially with the acquisition of Swisher and Bourn who are both bench players at this point. The Bullpen should get a lift with Simmons and Withrow returning plus I believe that Braves will look at a reliever or two through FA. Also a need for a mid rotation pitcher to slot in between Miller/Teheran and the shaky young pitchers the Braves have coming up in the system. I liked Wisler and Banuelos out of the starters the most last season but I'd be shocked to see both of them in the rotation beginning next season.

Left field would be interesting. Cespedes would be a great fit but I don't see the Braves getting into a bidding war for him. I am interested to see what Coppy will do as the GM this offseason.

UnknownNasty

Oct 5, 2014
Yankees rotation is good and will be for a while. Tanaka isn't an ace but he's very good. A very good no. 2 at the minimum and borderline 1. Pineda is a very good 3 at minimum and a capable no. 2 for sure. Eovaldi is looking like a solid 3 at minimum. Severino is looks to be very good as well but has a small sample size. Yeah they could use an ace... most teams could, but subbing in a solid pitcher like Leake/Zimmerman instead of CC or Nova and you don't really have a weakness.

The Yankees can hit but they are bad in the field and they are old, slow and injury prone. Tex, A-Rod, Beltran are ancient and while they will produce they can't stay healthy and they can't run. McCann is slow too but can still hit for power. Ellsbury is injury prone. They have no 2b and there is no spot for Bird. Can Didi continue is play from the 2nd half?

Bullpen is obviously a strength with Betances and Miller but their depth isn't great either. They aren't balanced but dangerous. They don't need a rebuild. They have a strong core but they need to wait until A-Rod, Tex, Beltran contracts are up to turn it over.

I think that the Yankees will definitely pursue a good 2nd baseman during the offseason, but if they don't, the job is Dustin Ackley's to lose. After he got traded, he proved he was more than capable of handling the starting job, but it's his past that scares me.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Cards do so well working with somewhat limited budget that them all of a sudden being able to throw money at players is a scary proposition.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->