Team Branding Thread (Logo, Colors, Uniforms, etc.)

What should the Seattle NHL franchise be called?

• Total voters

McDLT

I'm a style boy for life
Mar 1, 2016
Calgary
I do not like Totems. Sockeye(s) or Emeralds would be best imho. Emerald Knights would be the funniest.

Jul 26, 2007
Vermont
Every name sounds silly until it's been around for a while.

If there was a world in which the New York Rangers didn't exist and ol' Tex established a team in New York called the Rangers, it would likely get smashed.
Washington Capitals? Like, plural of the seat of government?
Tampa Bay Rays? What?

Everything takes time.
Devil Rays, which of course sounds wayyyy better.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia

If there was a world in which the New York Rangers didn't exist and ol' Tex established a team in New York called the Rangers, it would likely get smashed.
Tampa Bay Rays? What?

Everything takes time.

Not necessarily. Some names are just immediately good. You’re right though, a lot of names sound silly at first. Some because it takes a while to adjust to, and some because they’re just bad. I agree with PM. Sockeyes seems like a minor league team, and it’s more along the lines of bad than new imo. Heck, I’d rather be the Ill Tempered Sea Bass

SoldiersOfFilth

Hamildone with Neely
Dec 28, 2013
Near Olympia
id like to see a brick red if they are going the red-route.
BrickRed_sample.gif

Reactions: teravaineSAROS

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Not necessarily. Some names are just immediately good. You’re right though, a lot of names sound silly at first. Some because it takes a while to adjust to, and some because they’re just bad. I agree with PM. Sockeyes seems like a minor league team, and it’s more along the lines of bad than new imo. Heck, I’d rather be the Ill Tempered Sea Bass
While I won’t disagree outright, I’m say that as a weirdo follower of the business of sports, there’s rarely a new team name that’s celebrated when it’s announced.

The last one I can think of is the Vancouver Grizzlies, and that was partially because the smart part of the public realized Toronto Raptors was stupid and it came out at the same time. :laugh:

The Raptors aren’t as bad is it used to be, but there’s still some names that are accepted now that were never great, but are accepted. The last few NHL expansions come to mind. Blue Jackets? Wild? Golden Knights?

Reactions: larrypacman8167

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
I’m new to the area, but Seattle seems like a place that’s almost defined by its environment and anything else seems weird. Blue or green need to be included.

Reactions: Puckrobber

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
Totems works on a level outside of just totem poles and if they choose to go that route that might be the better angle.

“a natural object or animal believed by a particular society to have spiritual significance and adopted by it as an emblem”

They could basically choose any animal they wanted if they go by the literal definition of what a totem is and that could inspire some cool logos. They could even choose a Kraken! (Please don’t though)

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Totems works on a level outside of just totem poles and if they choose to go that route that might be the better angle.

“a natural object or animal believed by a particular society to have spiritual significance and adopted by it as an emblem”

They could basically choose any animal they wanted if they go by the literal definition of what a totem is and that could inspire some cool logos. They could even choose a Kraken! (Please don’t though)
I've seen on local social media that people are already up in arms over the potential appropriation of native culture caused by using the Totems name. I'm guessing Totems is a long shot based only on that.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
I've seen on local social media that people are already up in arms over the potential appropriation of native culture caused by using the Totems name. I'm guessing Totems is a long shot based only on that.

If the name was Totem Poles and depicted a totem pole as a logo okay, I totally get it. But I don’t believe the actual term totem in the literal sense is exclusive to North America. What do I know though. Just sounds like a cool name with a tie to the region.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007

Tampa Bay Rays? What?

Everything takes time.

Mostly agreed. I mean the Houston Texans. How f'n vanilla is that? Why not the LA Californians?

sufferer

Dec 6, 2017
Please don't cater towards the bugmen and name the team Kraken. Sockeye has more character.

Reactions: Brodie

Neill99

Oct 30, 2006
Kraken or Sockeye I just can't see those being great names for an NHL team maybe for a minor league team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad