Team name and jersey ideas

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Kraken can work because it's got tentacles while the rest is hidden below the waves. With a Yeti the only thing your going to see is footprints in the snow. Which is kinda already a Avs alt logo. Perhaps you could have some sort of logo where the Yeti is hiding in it?
The footprint thing is why I do not think it will be Yeti.

I suspect it will be Venom themed. Someone mentioned BUZZ to continue with the ZZ sound. That has some merit too.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
The footprint thing is why I do not think it will be Yeti.

I suspect it will be Venom themed. Someone mentioned BUZZ to continue with the ZZ sound. That has some merit too.
I don’t think the avalanche have used that logo in years.

And it ever made sense for them anyway. They also need a rebrand. Their logo has always sucked.

The new one is really good. The Colorado Rocky Mountain thingy with the C.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
I don’t think the avalanche have used that logo in years.

And it ever made sense for them anyway. They also need a rebrand. Their logo has always sucked.
Aren't the feet on their shoulder patch?

I still think the idea is kind of dumb given Sasquatches are real and live in the region whilst Yetis are mythological creatures that live in snowcaves in the Andes Mountains.

• Haha
Reactions: Kaizen

rt

May 13, 2004
Just double checked. It’s been almost a decade since Colorado used the dumb foot.

Been a decade since they have.
I still think the idea is kind of dumb
Me too. But I think it’s happening g.
given Sasquatches are real and live in the region
??????????????? Haha
whilst Yetis are mythological creatures that live in snowcaves in the Andes Mountains.
Andes? Lol.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
No way. There’s no goofy cartoon Devil in New Jersey’s logo. Looking back at the fan mock-ups of the Kraken they all suck. Because they all have big dumb squid monsters in them.

It should be evocative of snowy mountain monster. Just like Seattle is evocative of a giant sea monster. Shouldn’t actually show it. That’s very minor league. Like the Winnipeg ICE logo. Very childish looking.

But then you are just copying the Kraken wholesale in their approach. Which isn't very original.

I still think the idea is kind of dumb given Sasquatches are real and live in the region whilst Yetis are mythological creatures that live in snowcaves in the Andes Mountains.

I think you mean the Himalayas. Both are probably the same creature and honestly given what we know about the migration of peoples across the Bering Straight the legend likely followed the migration of peoples from Eastern Eurasia into Alaska, Northern Canada and down on through the Pacific Northwest.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
The firm they hired specializes in minimalism. I don't expect anything past a Utah related colorway and some kind of simple wordmark. Basically what they did for Milwaukee and Inter Miami.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Also doing a good job isn’t copying. Solid execution is solid execution. Doesn’t make it unoriginal.

It's almost boring though in a way. Sports logos should be fun. Not some modern art project.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Love the name/idea - however the PC crowd would likely have a fit with anything relating to native people.

Depends on how you brand it. My local WHL team is called the Warriors and we turned it into more of a modern air force Snowbirds kinda thing. Which are stationed at the local air force base.

rt

May 13, 2004
Depends on how you brand it. My local WHL team is called the Warriors and we turned it into more of a modern air force Snowbirds kinda thing. Which are stationed at the local air force base.
Moose jaw has an awesome brand when it was a chief ina headdress. The little model airplane thing is lame. Big downgrade. They looked awsome before.

Reactions: FMichael

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Moose jaw has an awesome brand when it was a chief ina headdress. The little model airplane thing is lame. Big downgrade. They looked awsome before.

Disagree the chief in a headdress has been done 1000 million times. It was dated, bland and boring. The Snowbirds actually have some local connection to the people here. Obviously people not from the area won't get it but that's fine.

Show me one.

The problem is there aren't really any at the pro level. Most teams tend to ground their logos in the real.

rt

May 13, 2004
Disagree the chief in a headdress has been done 1000 million times. It was dated, bland and boring. The Snowbirds actually have some local connection to the people here. Obviously people not from the area won't get it but that's fine.
That brand was degraded so badly. They use a goofy cartoon moose too. Embarrassing.

Love the team though. I watched them a ton last season and the season before to get looks at Mateychuk and Yager. Until this season their home broadcasts were basically unwatchable though. So I mostly watched road games. It seems they improved the production quality this year. And added Savoie which is cool.

The problem is there aren't really any at the pro level. Most teams tend to ground their logos in the real.
It’s because it’s for babies. ;)

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
But once the new color scheme was settled, some adjustments still had to be made because of dye restrictions. "The reality of the tight deadline is that we were not able to use our preferred shade of green, which was much darker," says Meyer. "The NBA people said, 'Look, if this was six months earlier, we could have done it. But because it's so late in the game, here are the three greens you can choose from.' It was the same with the blue -- we had a choice of the Knicks' blue, the Thunder's blue or a Carolina blue. We went with the Thunder."

Interesting article on D&C's first big gig

Reactions: Grimes

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
That brand was degraded so badly. They use a goofy cartoon moose too. Embarrassing.

Love the team though. I watched them a ton last season and the season before to get looks at Mateychuk and Yager. Until this season their home broadcasts were basically unwatchable though. So I mostly watched road games. It seems they improved the production quality this year. And added Savoie which is cool.

Mateychuk actually lives across the street from me, or his billets do anyways. Nice kid.

You have to remember that Junior hockey is primarily targeted at bringing in parents with their kids at least in most places. So you want a logo that kids can attach themselves to and a mascot that isn't to ridiculous but fun.

The NHL is more marketing towards the middle age crowd so it needs to be badass, timeless and eye popping or it won't really be all that well received. The Krakens logo is pretty minimal but also quite boring. A big S? Cool. I agree not much else out there that I saw in mock ups looked all that great but that's because everyone else was going with the same minimalist approach with a big tentacle S or some variation of it.

It’s because it’s for babies. ;)

Well then we need to just push the Utah Phoenix as much as we can. Even though that one is a mythological creature as well. But at least it's an easy logo to work with.

Reactions: Grimes

Llewzaher

Aug 2, 2005
North America
The firm they hired specializes in minimalism. I don't expect anything past an Utah related colorway and some kind of simple wordmark. Basically what they did for Milwaukee and Inter Miami.
It will be interesting, because basketball jerseys rarely have a logo on their uniforms , and if they did, it would have to be simple .. I think if they are going to campaign and get feedback from the public .. they may want logos and designs to be similar to NHL and hockey teams .. With the Coyotes having the best logo and jersey, the new owner may want something that rivals it

But who knows?

Brodie

HACK THE BONE! HACK THE BONE!
Mar 19, 2009
Chicago
That's a good point. Eventually they will likely move into it though.

Imo this is why you avoid named like Yetis. You can be as sleek and modern and serious as you want but you ultimately picked a campy bush league name and you can't avoid the reality of it being campy and bush league forever

Foggy1097

Jan 14, 2014
Arizona
You thinking something more along these lines @rt?

IMG_2778.jpeg
IMG_2777.jpeg
IMG_2779.jpeg
IMG_2774.jpeg
IMG_2781.jpeg

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Imo this is why you avoid named like Yetis. You can be as sleek and modern and serious as you want but you ultimately picked a campy bush league name and you can't avoid the reality of it being campy and bush league forever

Yeah I'm more of a fan of a name that evokes some local tradition or cultural iconography that can be both visually appealing but also appropriate. Like honestly Seattle Sasquatch, while still campy, had a much more local appeal to me anyways having lived in the PNW for a time. Also had alliteration going for it. Plus you could tie into local Native American artwork getting local artists to do some cool interpretations of legends that origination from within their cultures.

But that ship has sailed. I wonder if they should just go for it and take on the Utah Raptors name. It's honestly the best thing out there right now. Could they face any legal issues with it?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad