Team Mexico U20

Status
Not open for further replies.

Injektilo

Feb 3, 2005
Taiwan
Hmmm, i was born in Guatemala.... I should see if they need me to captain their team at the D pool of the World Championships :D

monkey_00*

They even play Hockey in Portugal but instead of ice hockey it's with roller skates or field hockey...........below is the link to the Portuguese Hockey Federation site:

http://www.fphoquei.pt/

If Portugal decided to ice for themselves a hockey team they might be able to borrow a couple of NHLers like Montreal's Mike Ribeiro and Minnesota's goaltender Manny Fernandez

Injektilo

Feb 3, 2005
Taiwan
Ville Isopää said:
Actually it's not the biggest win ever. On Wednesday, March 4, 1998, Kazakhstan beat Iceland 63-0 at the U-18 European pool D Championships. Averaging more than a goal a minute, the period scores were 19-0, 21-0, 23-0. Nikolai Antropov had a pretty good game scoring 11 goals and adding 15 assists. ;)

According to Dave Bidini's book The Tropic of Hockey, (which also mentions teh 58-0 Australia-NZ game, the South Koreans beat the Thais 92-0 at the 98 D pool WJCs. According to him it's the most lobsided intnl hockey game ever.

I haven't looked into it myself though, so....

MHA

Mar 28, 2004
www.buffalorange.com
I am closely associated with Israel ice hockey team and when we won the gold-medal in 2000 our team had 3 tier II Junior 'A' players, 1 player who was in the AHL, one who attenede the Penguins camp and plays in France now, a player who at the time played in the superleague in Russia (is now in Iceland), our goaltender attended the LA KINGs camp and played for the Red Army. We had little depth, but we could compete at Div 1 and hold our own. Last year we did not have many guys show up, but this year we have a full roster and should compete for the Gold

Tb0ne

Nov 29, 2004
Victoria
I saw a program about Isreali Ice hockey on television recently.
They are in Canada training for an upcoming tournment and in the past have had NHL coaches come over and donate their time to help them improve their program.

One player they interviewed more or less said, "The younger players now play hockey at a skill level comparable to the that of 18 year olds I watched when I played hockey as a child"

Back then many players could not skate backwards, but by now those problems have been erased.

The IIHF and NHL really need to try and do more of this to grow the game worldwide. If the talent pool isn't large enough now, they they simply must try and do their best to grow it, which will only improve the on ice skill level in the NHL and in Elite hockey worldwide.

http://www.cjnews.com/viewarticle.asp?id=2640

Article about a man trying to improve the level of Ice Hockey in Isreal.. while it's great he is doing this, I wonder why the NHL and IIHF would not by trying to help do this in other countries as well.

Last edited:

(lone)Yashinfan#79

Habsfunk said:
I wish I had citizenship in one of those countries. I could get on the team and be guaranteed a free trip somewhere to play hockey at least once a year.

i've looked into it...i have dual citizenship (wife is from Japan), it's a burgeoning scene there, would be very excited to earn an invitation.

(lone)Yashinfan#79

i've been to Kansai region (Kobe/Osaka) and out in Kyoto prefecture, there was modest interest... have not been to Tokyo, but that is where a couple Pan-Asian league teams are located.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
monkey_00 said:
If Portugal decided to ice for themselves a hockey team they might be able to borrow a couple of NHLers like Montreal's Mike Ribeiro and Minnesota's goaltender Manny Fernandez
are you sure Fernandez is of portuguese descent?

And do either of them have portuguese passports?

GoBoltz56

Brisebois 1st Rounder
Jul 31, 2004
Tampa and Michigan
mattihp said:
No. He is canadian.
right....but he is of Brazilian descent, so playing on the Portugese national team wouldn't make sense..I wasn't correcting you or anything, just saying I know that Ribeiro is of Brazilian descent, not sure about Fernandez.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad