Team Mexico U20

Status
Not open for further replies.

Avery4Byng*

looks like there is a new power house emerging in the WJ Division 3....teams 3-0 so far in the tournament against teams like south africa, New Zealand and Gunner Staal and the ICleandics. How fun would it be to go watch one of these games.

Mods, dont know what to put this under so i put it in this board

Lupul15

May 6, 2004
MTL
i wonder what you can compare these teams to, i really have no idea what the level of play is

Avery4Byng*

Lupul15 said:
i wonder what you can compare these teams to, i really have no idea what the level of play is

I played against the Australia U18 team acouple eyars ago when i played Midget AAA and we beat them 7-2, but they would be division 2 now so i'd compare these teams to Midget B hockey at its best

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
I was talking to one of my prof's who recently came back from New Zealand. He was coaching the New Zealand team for a few years at the U20's. Apparently, NZ and Australia have quite the rivalry, and one year Australia beat them 58-0 :amazed: (I think that was the score he said). This is suppossed to be the biggest defeat ever. He said only 2 Dmen could skate backwards! It was a success if they could get the puck off the ice when shooting! Then when they played Korea,the coach said "we win 20-0", and that was the score.

Avery4Byng*

Lupul15 said:
damn id like to be born in one of those country and play some international hockey!

gaurenteed you'd be as bad as them, or even worse, grow up not even like hockey. You'd be bornm a surfer or a rugby or aussie rules player.

Habsfunk

Jan 11, 2003
BC
Visit site
I wish I had citizenship in one of those countries. I could get on the team and be guaranteed a free trip somewhere to play hockey at least once a year.

clefty

Retrovertigo
Dec 24, 2003
Visit site
Free, eh? You'd be disappointed.

For example, last year the gold medal winning Div. III Australian team had to pay their own way to Bulgaria. These low IIHF members don't have the funding. If they can't get the money together, they don't send a team.

Avery4Byng*

clefty said:
Free, eh? You'd be disappointed.

For example, last year the gold medal winning Div. III Australian team had to pay their own way to Bulgaria. These low IIHF members don't have the funding. If they can't get the money together, they don't send a team.

and plus Australia and NZ train up here, Aussies train in Osoyoos BC and New Zealand in Crowsnest pass.....a lot of fundraising and **** no doubt.
read on AIHA.com i think it is, that in order to play on a national team u have to be a resident with Aussie citizenship for min. 2 years.

Form and Substance

Jun 11, 2004
tray said:
I played against the Australia U18 team acouple eyars ago when i played Midget AAA and we beat them 7-2, but they would be division 2 now so i'd compare these teams to Midget B hockey at its best

I know, we played the English U-17 team when I was in bantam AA, we beat them 11-4, so I'd say div. 3 is no better than a midget A team.

brian

Mar 2, 2002
Visit site
The 58-0 score happened at the 1987 D Pool World Championships when Australia beat New Zealand. It was their full national teams and it was New Zealand's first venture into international hockey. New Zealand has improved since then and when they play the Aussies the scores are more like 9-1, 10-2, etc.. What I find fascinating is the fact that there are enough kids in those countries taking up the sport to form a junior program. It does sound strange to say New Zealand vs. South Africa in hockey not rugby.

Jazz

Roughneck said:
Maybe I should go play for Ireland. I'm sure they could use a superstar like me.

I knew that passport would pay off one day!
I hope you are serious - do it!!

Back to Mexico, keep in mind that this is their 2nd year in Div III, and the last time they were in Div II (2003), they finished 0 Wins, 5 Loses, with a -19 goal differential. Don't know if they in any put more resources into their U20 program or not...

Judging by some pictures I've seen, the arena does appear quite packed for the Mexican games......

cstu

May 6, 2004
Good to hear that all these nations are improving. This kind of thing can only be good for the game. :handclap:

Verbal Kint*

FLAMESFAN said:
I was talking to one of my prof's who recently came back from New Zealand. He was coaching the New Zealand team for a few years at the U20's. Apparently, NZ and Australia have quite the rivalry, and one year Australia beat them 58-0 :amazed: (I think that was the score he said). This is suppossed to be the biggest defeat ever. He said only 2 Dmen could skate backwards! It was a success if they could get the puck off the ice when shooting! Then when they played Korea,the coach said "we win 20-0", and that was the score.
Correct. Its in Guiness Book o' Records 2003.

ktownhockey

Mar 29, 2004
Ontario canada
Gurj said:
I hope you are serious - do it!!

Back to Mexico, keep in mind that this is their 2nd year in Div III, and the last time they were in Div II (2003), they finished 0 Wins, 5 Loses, with a -19 goal differential. Don't know if they in any put more resources into their U20 program or not...

Judging by some pictures I've seen, the arena does appear quite packed for the Mexican games......

My Jr. B coach Roy Reid coached Mexico U-20 in the 2000-2001 season he said it was quite the experience. They would go all around the states and play but usually never ended up finishing their trips. They were supposed to come up to canada and play our Jr. B team Amherstview but they couldn't get the passports in time. He ended up coaching my team the next year and said we would have beat them about 8-0

Bad News Benning

Fallin for Dahlin?
Jan 11, 2003
Victoria
Visit site
I'm in New Zealand right now, and I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw a store in Christchurch called "Just Hockey" and fair enough they sold some hockey gear in there. They even had hockey team photos on the wall there. I haven't found a hockey rink here yet, but I'm sure there is a couple around here.

Lard_Lad

May 12, 2003
Kelowna
Visit site
Koltsov said:
I'm in New Zealand right now, and I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw a store in Christchurch called "Just Hockey" and fair enough they sold some hockey gear in there. They even had hockey team photos on the wall there. I haven't found a hockey rink here yet, but I'm sure there is a couple around here.

There's actually going to be a four-team national league starting up in June - the NZIHF website has some details: http://www.nzicehockey.co.nz/
(look at the 'sponsorship pack' for national league information)

Jazz

Koltsov said:
Interesting - let us know if you find more evidence of hockey culture down there!

For those interested, here is the link to the New Zealand Ice Hockey Federation's site - you can follow their reaction to the Div III tournament by clicking on "Updates from U20 Team in Mexico" on the upper right.

clefty

Retrovertigo
Dec 24, 2003
Visit site
tray said:
and plus Australia and NZ train up here, Aussies train in Osoyoos BC and New Zealand in Crowsnest pass.....a lot of fundraising and **** no doubt.
read on AIHA.com i think it is, that in order to play on a national team u have to be a resident with Aussie citizenship for min. 2 years.
http://www.iha.org.au/

Overseas born players who wish to play for Australia must meet the following criteria:

- have a valid International Transfer Card (ITC) or Letter of Approval from the country in which they were born that was approved and dated by the IIHF at least two years before the start of the Championship in which he/she wishes to participate;

- be an Australian Citizen holding a valid Australian Passport; and

- have competed in Australia for two years.

I think its the same everywhere, though.

Barry Beck (former Ranger and King defensman) actually joined the team and helped out with their WJC preparations when they were in Osoyoos last December. That would have been pretty cool.

Last edited:

Ville Isopaa

Feb 27, 2002
Helsinki, Finland
Visit site
FLAMESFAN said:

Master of Puppets said:
Correct. Its in Guiness Book o' Records 2003.

Actually it's not the biggest win ever. On Wednesday, March 4, 1998, Kazakhstan beat Iceland 63-0 at the U-18 European pool D Championships. Averaging more than a goal a minute, the period scores were 19-0, 21-0, 23-0. Nikolai Antropov had a pretty good game scoring 11 goals and adding 15 assists. ;)

Mar 4, 2003
Ottawa
ktownhockey said:
My Jr. B coach Roy Reid coached Mexico U-20 in the 2000-2001 season he said it was quite the experience. They would go all around the states and play but usually never ended up finishing their trips. They were supposed to come up to canada and play our Jr. B team Amherstview but they couldn't get the passports in time. He ended up coaching my team the next year and said we would have beat them about 8-0

Whoa you played for Amherstview? I played a couple games for them awhile back..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad