Team mate problem

stick9

Aug 12, 2004
knight44 said:
Um he is my friend, i aint going to insult my friend.

If he's your friend you should be able to tell him he's acting like a jacka**. Maybe he needs to hear to from someone close to him.

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
knight44 said:
My coach just doesnt know how to handle this one guy, he is a great coach he did lead us to the best regular season team, and to a championship. Are you saying that you would cut a guy who can score 30-40 goals a season? just because he has a mean side?

This entire story sounds fabricated to me.

knight44

Jul 31, 2005
Toronto
Its more of a for fun league, its not like anyone in the league will go anywhere. This guy has been kicked out of 4 leagues and looks like this league will kick him out at the end of the season.

I have told him he is acting like a total jackass and he just laughs and says i know.

Beating up the coach was in a different league, and he was automatically kicked out of that league after that.

Dude is destined for a lifetime of pathetic shinny hockey IMO. Leagues (and their insurers) can't afford to put up with this kind of thing for long. Eventually he will run out of leagues to play for and organized hockey will no longer be an option. Nothing in the world is as expensive as regret.

This kind of thing has happened before, talent might buy you a bit of a free pass when you're young, but there is a statute of limitations on it. I've been playing in the same league for 12 years now, and there have been more than a couple of guys exactly like this piece of work. Last time I spoke to the league administrator he was telling me that he knows at least 5 of them can't play hockey around here any more. Period. Ever.

So they are left with outdoor ice or shinny at 6:30 on Saturday mornings. If your friend loves the game at all, he better smarten up or this will happen to him. He is NOT a unique snowflake and he is NOT special.

PensFanInCBus

Jan 14, 2004
2 Words.

Lifetime. Suspension.

There's no place for this guy in hockey. Hockey is a team sport
and no one player is above the team. At this point it's out of the
coach's hands.

The league has to tell the guy to clean up his act or he'll have to move to ply his jackassery in another city.

knight44

Jul 31, 2005
Toronto
The league basically allready told him after the championship, he can start looking for a new league and that will make it 5 leagues he has been kicked out. Finally someone thinks its not my coaches fault, this guy is uncontrolable. In the Championship game i am expecting him to do something stupid because he knows its his last game.

crashlanding

Nov 29, 2005
Chicago
knight44 said:
The league basically allready told him after the championship, he can start looking for a new league and that will make it 5 leagues he has been kicked out. Finally someone thinks its not my coaches fault, this guy is uncontrolable. In the Championship game i am expecting him to do something stupid because he knows its his last game.
Dude, it is your coaches fault, he should have kicked him off the team instead of letting you/the league deal with it. He may be a good coach for teaching hockey but in this case he screwed up. To be honest, why are you asking this question? There has been plenty of good advice offered and you keep making up excuses as to why that isn't perfect for your situation. If he's your friend you should tell him that he's being a jackass without worrying about it. I'm sure your frustrated with him so just suck it up and tell him to play out the season in peace.

knight44

Jul 31, 2005
Toronto
you have no idea how meny times i have told him he is a jackass, and he should stop it. He just laughs and tells me to lighten up because its just hockey. Most of the stuff the people are suggesting coaches have tried to do to him, and he hasnt gotten better he has gotten worse. I asked the question because i was hoping someone would actually say a way that might resolve this so my team can win a championship. I have tried to talk to the guy today at practice hell me and the coach talked to him on the ice. He even dared the coach to bench him, the coach said he might just do that. He just laughed and said then the team will lose without me. Then he said wait till you see what i do on thursday. Knowing the guy that means he will do something stupid, my coach is actually thinking of benching the guy. If he will or if he will let him play is still up in the air. The thing is the team we are playing has the most french people on their team out of any team in the league. Personally the guy is my friend, but now i have to agree with everyone on here who has been saying he is out of control and should be stopped. He will probably go out and atempt to injure someone since the league was stupid enough to tell him its his last game in the league. In a way its the leagues fault for not dealing with him earlier.

grapeshine

Dec 9, 2002
Visit site
This sounds like a whole lot of "not fun" for a supposed "for fun" league. If this guy is such a problem seriously have the team consider if they'd rather have fun or win. If the team is more interested in having fun than winning call this dude up and tell him not to show up. Tell him to find a "competitive" team and that you guys are just playing for fun.

stick9

Aug 12, 2004
knight44 said:
you have no idea how meny times i have told him he is a jackass, and he should stop it. He just laughs and tells me to lighten up because its just hockey. Most of the stuff the people are suggesting coaches have tried to do to him, and he hasnt gotten better he has gotten worse. I asked the question because i was hoping someone would actually say a way that might resolve this so my team can win a championship. I have tried to talk to the guy today at practice hell me and the coach talked to him on the ice. He even dared the coach to bench him, the coach said he might just do that. He just laughed and said then the team will lose without me. Then he said wait till you see what i do on thursday. Knowing the guy that means he will do something stupid, my coach is actually thinking of benching the guy. If he will or if he will let him play is still up in the air. The thing is the team we are playing has the most french people on their team out of any team in the league. Personally the guy is my friend, but now i have to agree with everyone on here who has been saying he is out of control and should be stopped. He will probably go out and atempt to injure someone since the league was stupid enough to tell him its his last game in the league. In a way its the leagues fault for not dealing with him earlier.

Seriously, this isn't your problem and shouldn't be. I blame your coach. He has a bad apple and refuses to take steps to curb his behavior. This guys sounds like he has no concept of the word team.

If I were your coach he'd sit until his attitude changed and the first time he acted up it would be right back to the bench, no questions asked. The message your coach is sending is not healthy for team play.

I'm really surprised the league hasn't suspended him. How does this guy score goals? He must be spending a ton of time in the box.

PensFanInCBus

Jan 14, 2004
Here's a thought. Don't bench him. Scratch him.

Don't make him an option. Don't even come to the rink.

If you lose, no big deal. It's a rec league. If you win,
and believe me, teams do crazy things when you get
a distraction off the ice, all the better.

Cut your losses and tell him the game has been changed
to a rink on the other side of town on a different day and then
go out there and get the win without him.

KariyaIsGod*

knight44 said:
Um he is my friend, i aint going to insult my friend.

If your friend is a piece of crap, he deserves it.

This guy sound slike he's a piece of crap.

One day he's going to run into somebody tougher than him... Then he'll find out.

knight44

Jul 31, 2005
Toronto
The league has warned the refs to keep a extra eye on him in the game if he plays. The Refs are going to use a no ******** policey with him on thursday. My coach is really close to making up his mind on benching the guy or letting him play. I dont know how he gets all the goals he gets, he has over 300 PIM this season ( i dont know the exact number) but he always finds a way to score a goal coming out of the box. The Refs are well aware of the team we face have 7 french players on it and that this guiy can not stand french people. The other teams goalie is french so he will have a hard time if my friend will play. which is starting to look like that he wont because i doubt my coach wants to be held accountable for anything the guy does on the ice. Why are you surprized the league hasnt suspended him? he has been suspended countless times this year, the only thing that stopped him for getting suspended more was the league saying if he gets suspended one more time it will be the rest of the season, and ban from the league. Another thing that scares me on Thursday he is planning to bring his girlfriend to the game, and he always manages to get kicked out and or suspended when she is there.

Who knows what he has in store for thursday, but im with you guys now that i hope my coach benches his. The guy is my friend but he has put a big dark cloud on my team for way to long.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
The problem is that no one in the situation has any testicles.

1. Tell the guy.....Go home. You are an idiot. We don't want you on our team.

2. Losing with dignity is better than winning and being considered a bunch of morons by everyone else in the league.

Hank19

Apr 11, 2005
knight44 said:

This league and your coach sound like a bunch of p***ies. He should have been kicked out or off the team a long time ago.
And if it's a 'fun' league your team and the coach shouldn't care that much about winning. I know I'd be embarrased if I had someone on my team who acted like that.
In fact, I've played baseball with a guy who did antics similar to that (he even once threatened a chick while playing on a co-ed softball team) so we booted his a$$. Sure he was ticked at us but we didn't care. It was like we got a 800 pound loud mouthed monkey off our backs.

What this kid really needs is for someone to beat him within an inch of his life. Hopefully a french person.

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
I don't know that benchings or scratches are going to work with a guy like this. He doesn't care. Not about the team, not about the coach, or even about playing hockey all that much. That said, you say he's your friend and you've known this guy 17 years. So maybe he gives a crap about you.

That said, I'd approach him like a friend. Explain to him that his actions are reflecting on you as a captain and that you're going to lose your captaincy over this. May or may not be true that you would lose captaincy, but claim it anyway. Tell him that being captain means a lot to you and explain that what he's doing is going to affect you badly. Maybe even tell him the league wanted to expel him and you promised that you'd rein him in, and now your neck's on the line with the league as well -- i.e. because you vouched for him, if he keeps acting up, you're both expelled. Ask him to tone things down as a favor for you. If he has any respect for you, he will. If he doesn't, hate to break it to you, but he's not really your friend, and you should take your friendship elsewhere. Maybe losing your friendship will make him want to regain it enough that he changes.

I would also play to his ego, as that's the only other thing that seems to matter to him. Explain to him that the team needs him, and can't afford having him suspended so often for stupid crap. You need him on the ice, not in the pressbox, because well, he's your best player.

If none of that works, then get him off the team. Scratch him nightly until he shows he can quit being an idiot. If he never does, you're better off without him or without his friendship.

ginblossoms

Apr 1, 2002
Visit site
SwisshockeyAcademy said:
This is a pile of crap. What is the name of the team? What league? Give me his name and the website. It is all *********.
i think i agree with you... kinda funny reading though...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad