Team is winning but what's with Anders Lee?

BallinPB

Dec 18, 2018
Hi,

Team is winning non stop but what's with Anders Lee?

Is he playing well? I'm looking from the outside in.

Thanks
I said in the offseason that out of the 3 (Eberle, Nelson and Lee), we would regret re-signing Lee the most because of his poor skating ability. Never did I believe it would happen so quick. I love the guy but it's so obvious on ice that he's one of the worst skaters in the league. His only above average quality is in front of the net.

Reactions: CBG

Costigan77

Oct 7, 2014
Manhasset, NY
Hi,

Thanks

He is becoming Trent Hunter 2.0. Only difference is Trent Hunter hit people.

I guessing this contract and Ladd's will be bought out with the new CBA

IslesCLT

Apr 25, 2019
Charlotte
He's still on pace for 20/20/40, and I'm sure he'll hit a streak at some point that boosts his goal total.

I liked that towards the end last night he got more physical then beat the ever living snot out of ZAR. When you're on a cold streak, focus on little things to can do better. Hitting and getting dirty in the corners are what will start to break the slump, then the Gs will come.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
Lee hit Zach Aston-Reese pretty good. Looked like 2 lefts then a bunch of rights.
After absolutely destroying Tanev (from behind although he turned last second). It looks like he started playing with a bit of an edge, almost as if he's frustrated.

I'd like to see Anders play with a bit more of an edge. I'm not looking for him to fight, necessarily, but he should finish his checks on the forecheck and look to throw his weight around a little more.

He's a streaky player - I'm not really worried about him. He'll get his next goal and then roll off a bunch in a row. He's getting high stress ice time (including in OT) and he's screened the goalie on several of our recent goals. He did have a rough game skating yesterday but so did a few players - especially early. I wouldn't be surprised if the ice was really bad last night (as usual).

I think we have this discussion every year. Anders starts slow, people freak out. And then its a scoring bonanza. Whatever you feel about the long term value of the contract, I think its safe to say that his skill set didn't diminish between last year and this one. Considering that last 16 games, its pretty safe to say that his teammates have picked up the slack. I'm confident at some point in this season - not too far off - he'll repay the favor.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
I constantly try to harp on the fact a team, and an organization, is like a portfolio of investments. Not every holding, like every player, performs at peak performance at the same time. This team is so deep right now that it doesn't need all the pieces to maximize output. Lee and Eberle are underperforming but Beau, Brassard and Nelson are exceeding our expectations.

Stop looking at individual players and look at the record and league standings. It will make a lot of this type of 'worry beads' analysis moot.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
I constantly try to harp on the fact a team, and an organization, is like a portfolio of investments. Not every holding, like every player, performs at peak performance at the same time. This team is so deep right now that it doesn't need all the pieces to maximize output. Lee and Eberle are underperforming but Beau, Brassard and Nelson are exceeding our expectations.

Stop looking at individual players and look at the record and league standings. It will make a lot of this type of 'worry beads' analysis moot.
Great post. You simply can't have everyone going at the same time. It's unrealistic. This team has depth. When one player gets cold, another heats up.

Great analogy.

mtlmonk

Apr 21, 2014

I'm a fantasy pooler that's why and thought this forum would be best to analyze the guy.

Thank you all. Your team is doing amazing! GLTA!

JohnTonelliRises

Tonelli Approves↑
Sep 29, 2006
Connecticut
I believe that Lee is fine. Everyone goes through cold streaks (both on and off the ice). We see this everyday as a student, professional, etcetera.

If he is still like this by the end of the year, then people can hit the panic button.

Lee also brings intangibles to the table that were borne by previous leaders in the NHL. As an example, look at how he started "Kancer Jam". From an involvement perspective, he is certainly very passionate about his role in the NHL (again not exactly the easiest trait to find).

Even if he is off to a lukewarm start, he still remains a leader. You would be hard pressed to find this exemplified by other NHL captains when they disappear for portions of the season.

Reactions: bigtim1988

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway
He should be tried elsewhere in the lineup because he just seems to go missing. He used to be a real threat in front of goal and being a nuisance to defenders, but he just seems to have continued where he left off last season.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Hi,

Thanks
I think some of Lee’s lack of production is related to Barzal shooting more. Cause and effect.

Reactions: bigtim1988

FourRings

Mar 26, 2013
New York City
I think some of Lee’s lack of production is related to Barzal shooting more. Cause and effect.
To an extent, maybe. But Lee is a great garbage man. I'd actually expect his goal production to increase when Barzal shoots. More pucks to corral and finish.

gadiamon72

Jun 13, 2013
He has played his best hockey with Bailey on the other wing. They've always had good chemistry. I just wish there was a way to set that up without moving ebs to the third line (where he doesn't belong).

crasherino

May 9, 2013
He has played his best hockey with Bailey on the other wing. They've always had good chemistry. I just wish there was a way to set that up without moving ebs to the third line (where he doesn't belong).
What about:

Lee Nelson Bailey
Brassard/Tito Barzal Eberle

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006

Agree, actually I think another line with Lee-new center-Bailey would make sense. I think stylistically Staal from Minnesota would make sense.

Many have said this forever. Lee plays a cycle game, Barzal doesn't. They don't fit together for long periods of time.

I’m glad this thread has started. I was meaning to follow-up our Lee conversation. What’s odd is Barzal can and does play somewhat a cycling game. But it seems much different than Tavares. It’s more speed and less heavy. I think Lee just can’t time his game as well to Barzal as he did with Tavares.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad