Team in Thunder Bay?

LARGECAT DAMPHOUSSE

May 10, 2012
So Thunder Bay is building a new events centre, and it looks like it will be big and fancy enough to take an AHL team. There is a ton of repressed hockey spirit in Thunder Bay that cries out for someone to follow locally (LU Thunderwolves don't cut it). Given the article and the state of the league, do you think there is any chance T-Bay gets a team?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/thunder-bay/story/2013/06/28/tby-thunder-bay-events-centre-request-for-expressions-of-interest-2.html

spitshockey81

Jan 27, 2013
I've heard a lot of talk about the echl going into this new arena but not ahl, though the ahl was interested in in Windsor a few years back so perhaps they still have some more interest in another Ontario club. Will be interesting to see how this pans out

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Truth be told, I've long said that the AHL or ECHL are likely the only legitimate options for Thunder Bay. Too far west for the OHL, too far east for the WHL, and too far north for the USHL, but might just work for the AHL or ECHL.... and too big to be without a team in Canada.

If Winnipeg ever decided to revoke their lease of the team to St. John's, Thunder Bay would almost assuredly be the most logical choice for them to relocate their AHL affiliate (remember, they still own the IceCaps, they're just leasing them). At the very least, look into buying an ECHL team and putting them there as it'd probably be a sure thing to make a little money and help cement your team's footprint in Western Ontario.

trouty

Oct 3, 2011
Truth be told, I've long said that the AHL or ECHL are likely the only legitimate options for Thunder Bay. Too far west for the OHL, too far east for the WHL, and too far north for the USHL, but might just work for the AHL or ECHL.... and too big to be without a team in Canada.

If Winnipeg ever decided to revoke their lease of the team to St. John's, Thunder Bay would almost assuredly be the most logical choice for them to relocate their AHL affiliate (remember, they still own the IceCaps, they're just leasing them). At the very least, look into buying an ECHL team and putting them there as it'd probably be a sure thing to make a little money and help cement your team's footprint in Western Ontario.

I'm a season ticket holder for St.John's and the Jets only got 2 years left on their lease with St.John's,and even thou St.John's has sold out 76 games straight at 30 bucks a ticket,I've not heard any word on them extending,it has been my belief they been waiting for Thunder Bay to pull outta here,thou it will leave peeps shaking their head,as not many places sell out ahl at 30 bucks,but who knows,all I know is Winnipegs lease ends after 2014-2015

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Good to hear that Thunder Bay's making progress with an arena. Hope they get a team, AHL, ECHL, or other, sooner rather than later.

And it certainly will stink if St. John's loses their team through no fault of their own. Might very well be a casualty of what their parent wants and nothing else, a la Peoria.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad