Line Combos: Team in 3/4 years?

Koopa I

Nov 22, 2009
Brantford
A friend and i were discussing with current assets what our team might look like in a few years and if were going to be in some cap trouble.

Note: Im not too familiar with elc cap hits so correct me if im wrong. Most Salaries are projected

JVR(4.5) - Kadri (4) - Kessel (8) 16.5
Lupul(5.25) - ? - Frattin(3.5) 8.75
Kulemin(3) - Bozak(3) - Komarov(1.5?) 7.5
Ross(1) - ? - Biggs(2?) 3

Phaneuf(7) - Reily(3)
Gardiner(3.5) - Franson(3)
Gunnarson(3) - Percy(2)

Reimer(3)
Scrivens(1)

Cap = 61.25 Mill

Assets that we have to use to get #2 C , # 4 C , Upgrade on Goaltending?
Grabo
Colborne
Macarthur
Liles
Holzer
Steckel
Fraser

PS: Sorry for poor formatting

goonx

Nov 7, 2010
A friend and i were discussing with current assets what our team might look like in a few years and if were going to be in some cap trouble.

Note: Im not too familiar with elc cap hits so correct me if im wrong. Most Salaries are projected

JVR(4.5) - Kadri (4) - Kessel (8) 16.5
Lupul(5.25) - ? - Frattin(3.5) 8.75
Kulemin(3) - Bozak(3) - Komarov(1.5?) 7.5
Ross(1) - ? - Biggs(2?) 3

Phaneuf(7) - Reily(3)
Gardiner(3.5) - Franson(3)
Gunnarson(3) - Percy(2)

Reimer(3)
Scrivens(1)

Cap = 61.25 Mill

Assets that we have to use to get #2 C , # 4 C , Upgrade on Goaltending?
Grabo
Colborne
Macarthur
Liles
Holzer
Steckel
Fraser

PS: Sorry for poor formatting

Gunnarsson at 6th D is a bit too much. He's a lock at Top 4D in 3/4 years. There's cheaper alternatives to a bottom pairing D. i.e Fraser. You either keep Gunnarsson or Franson. One of which will get moved in a package for a C IMO.

Holzer might develop nicely into a Top 6 (if he stays consistent). By then, both Gunnarsson and Franson will fetch us some nice returns.

DD03

3D
Mar 15, 2010
If Reimer keeps up his play, he'll sadly get more then 3 million. Probably looking at 4 / 4.5

Anth93

Jul 2, 2012
Kulemin - Bozak - Komarov.

I would hope we can do better than a combined total of 10 goals from our third line.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
Probably going to see a lot more turnover than you guys are expecting. If you look back at the roster from 5 years ago, I think Kulemin is the only guy from that roster is who still on the team.

Granted at that time the team didn't have anyone on it that you'd want to be signing long-term, and the roster was due for some heavy turnover, but still.

Grant

LL Genius
Jan 16, 2012
London
If Reimer keeps up his play, he'll sadly get more then 3 million. Probably looking at 4 / 4.5

Pavelec gets 3.5 on a longer-ish contract, that would probably be used as the comparison contract. To be honest I'm not sure right now who I would rather have.

Xanner

Aug 2, 2009
This is what i envision in about 3 years

JVR (4.25) - XXXXX - Kessel (6)
Lupul (5.25) - Kadri (4) - XXXXX
Kulemin (3.25) - Bozak (2.5) - Frattin (3)
Ross (.900) - McClement (1.8) - Komarov (.900)

Phaneuf (5) - Reilly (1.775)
Franson (2.75) - Gardiner - (3.5)
Percy (1.1) - Fraser (1)

Reimer (3.75)
Scrivens (1)

The X's are the holes that we absolutely must improve on, grabo, komi, liles, macarthur end up in being traded or a compliance buy out

If Kessel wants more then 6 then i hope we trade him, at most i would bump his salary to a 6.3 and thats being generous he is a great sniper with decent playing making ability, but anything over 6.3 IMO is not beneficial to us.

Phaneuf is in the same boat he will almost certainly come down from his ridiculous 6.5 million per and hopefully Nonis or whoever our gm is will be able to re-sign him to a fair 5 million per.

Part of moving forward or transitioning into a contender is the ability to not overpay not even ur stars, the leafs are heading in the right direction they have some nice pieces in place but there is still alot of work ahead of them.

emackulate

Dec 29, 2010
This is what i envision in about 3 years

JVR (4.25) - XXXXX - Kessel (6)
Lupul (5.25) - Kadri (4) - XXXXX
Kulemin (3.25) - Bozak (2.5) - Frattin (3)
Ross (.900) - McClement (1.8) - Komarov (.900)

Phaneuf (5) - Reilly (1.775)
Franson (2.75) - Gardiner - (3.5)
Percy (1.1) - Fraser (1)

Reimer (3.75)
Scrivens (1)

The X's are the holes that we absolutely must improve on, grabo, komi, liles, macarthur end up in being traded or a compliance buy out

If Kessel wants more then 6 then i hope we trade him, at most i would bump his salary to a 6.3 and thats being generous he is a great sniper with decent playing making ability, but anything over 6.3 IMO is not beneficial to us.

Phaneuf is in the same boat he will almost certainly come down from his ridiculous 6.5 million per and hopefully Nonis or whoever our gm is will be able to re-sign him to a fair 5 million per.

Part of moving forward or transitioning into a contender is the ability to not overpay not even ur stars, the leafs are heading in the right direction they have some nice pieces in place but there is still alot of work ahead of them.

decent play making ability?

Hotlanta

Dec 1, 2009
I am pretty happy with the team we have now. Obviously if we can upgrade through FA or our prospects push for playing time, changes will need to be mad, but no sense trading any playing pieces at this point. When Lupul and Frattin return, Brown, Liles, Komi, and MacArthur become expendable for the right prices.

In 3/4 years I would think the only two obvious players from our prospect pool not named Kadri or Frattin who will be on this team are Gardiner and Rielly. In addition, Colborne will make a good case for himself if he keeps up his current play.

I believe realistically only 1 of Blacker, Percy, Finn and 1 of Leivo, Biggs, Ross, Ashton will ever make this team. Which is not a bad thing, just means I put a lot of faith in the Defense and Wingers I believe will stick with this team for the long haul.

Lupul - XXXX - Kessel (Would love to see Kadri succeed at center here)
JVR - Kadri - Frattin
Kulemin - Grabo/Bozak/Colborne - McClement/Komarov/Forward Prospect
McClaren - Steckel/McClement - Komarov/Forward Prospect (Orr might be forced to retire by 4 years)

Phaneuf - Rielly (If he continues to develop on his offside)
Gardiner - Gunnarsson (Play off wing for Gardiner like he did for Phaneuf)
Franson - Fraser

EDIT: I do see us possibly losing a couple of Gunnarsson/Franson, Kulemin, Steckel, Bozak/Grabo along the way.

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
Like another poster said, the turnover is probably gonna be a lot bigger than we think especially if you look at 3 - 4 years ago. But for *****, here's what I think it'll look like:

Joffrey Lupul - xxx - Phil Kessel
James Van Riemsdyk - Nazem Kadri - xxx
Nikolai Kulemin - xxx - Matt Frattin
Leo Komarov - xxx - xxx

I was on the fence on Kessel but I think he'll end up saying. Grabovski and Bozak will both be moved out - Grabo for cap reasons and Bozak to make room for one of those blank spots. We'll probably acquire another big winger to play on the second line. We still won't have a #1 unless the guys missing are used in a package to acquire one. Kulemin and Frattin stay so we can have a dangerous 3rd line. 4th lines in this league are hardly consistent so I expect an entirely different one whether it be FA's or our own prospects in 3 years. Komarov is the only one I think could stay just because he's becoming a fan favorite.

Dion Phaneuf - xxx
Morgan Rielly - Cody Franson
Jake Gardiner - xxx

Defense was pretty tough. Liles/Komisarek are obviously gone, Gunnarsson likely part of a trade package, and those xxx's could be a traded player or any of our own AHL guys/prospects (anywhere from Holzer to Finn).

James Reimer
xxx

I think Reimer will establish himself as a low-end #1 eventually - the xxx would likely be a veteran back-up.

Lansdown

Feb 1, 2007
Toronto
D. Brown Kopitar Kessel
Kovalev Kadri Iginla
Marchand Plekanec Stoner
Kunitz Konopka M. Brown

Suter Weber
Kronwall Kronwall
Goligoski Tverdovsky

Beaupre
Essensa

SnipeCheeseAllDay

Jan 16, 2007
Toronto
Lupul - XXX - Kessel
JVR - Kadri - Frattin
Kulemin - Bozak - Biggs
Komarov - McClement - Devane
-Ross/Leivo/C.Brown/Broll

Phaneuf - Rielly
Gardiner - Finn
Percy - Franson
-Holzer/Fraser/Granberg/Loov/Nilsson

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
Lupul Kadri Kessel
JVR Grabovski Kulemin
Frattin Bozak Biggs
Ashton Mclement Komorov
Ross Devane Broll

Phaneuf Rielly
Gardiner Finn
Gunnarsson Franson
Percy

Reimer
Owuya

GordieHoweHatTrick

Sep 20, 2009
Toronto
JvR - Kadri - Perry
Lupul - Bozak - Kessel
xxx - xxx - Leivo
Ashton - McClement - xxx

Phaneuf - Rielly
Gardiner - xxx
Finn - Franson

Reimer
xxx

phillycheesekessel

Jan 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
This is what I see:

1a JVR - Kadri - Kessel (split lups and kess up to make line bigger)
1b Lupul - x - Frattin
3 Kulemin - x - Komarov
4 Ross - McClement - Biggs

Phaneuf - Gardiner
Gunnarson - Reilly
Fraser - Franson
Holzer

If this is the case then we have a lot of players up for grabs hopefully we can get some draft picks or fill roles for: Liles, Komisarek (resigned low cap), Finn, Percy, Grabovski, McCarthur, Orr, McClaren, etc.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad