WC: Team Germany

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
After Germany's Olympic Cinderella run, I'm sure fans of Team Germany are looking forward to the WHC this May in Denmark to see what they can do with a few NHL additions.

I never saw any of Germany's games at the Olympics and am completely unfamiliar with players based in Germany, so this is just my best guess as to where those players fit into the roster. others more familiar with the players can make the appropriate changes.

Canada plays Germany May 15. Looking forward to it.

DOMINIK KAHUN

LEON DRAISAITL

FRANK MAUER

TOBIAS RIEDER

PATRICK HAGER

BROOKS MACEK

YASIN EHLIZ

MATTHIAS PLACHTA

LEO PFÖDERL

YANNIC SEIDENBERG

MARCUS KINK

PATRICK REIMER
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

FELIX SCHÜTZ MARCEL NOEBELS
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

DENNIS SEIDENBERG

DARYL BOYLE

CHRISTIAN EHRHOFF

MORITZ MÜLLER

FRANK HÖRDLER

BJÖRN KRUPP

JONAS MÜLLER

SINAN AKDAG
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

THOMAS GREISS

DANNY AUS DEN BIRKEN

TIMO PIELMEIER
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

GermanNuck

Jun 15, 2011
Germany
I would love a young gun line with Draisaitl, Kahun and Rieder. I think that they could really tear apart some defenses, though I guess this won't happen.
Schütz will have a fixed position in this team, maybe even 1st line along Draisaitl and Rieder.

Depending on whether the Ducks or the Pens make the playoffs (and then win the first round) Kühnhackl and Holzer could be valuable additions.
Jonas Müller might be the odd man out if Holzer joins the team or if Reul makes it back in time.

Frederik Tiffels, Markus Eisenschmid and Manuel Wiederer might be interesting additions as well, but I think that Sturm might wants to keep the teams core intact to keep the olympic spirit.

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
In all honesty, with NHL'ers Germany chances should decrease, even with Draisaitl. Other nations will have so many more reinforcements for the WC. Anyway, given that Marcel Goc was the captain for this team, wouldn't he still be considered a lock for the WC squad? Or did he retire from the national team after this?

TorstenFrings

lebenslang gruenweiss
Apr 25, 2012
Bremen
They are probably going to be a bit burnt out though. They had a home WC they gave their all at last year and a Cinderella run at the Olympics. It's 50/50 on whether that sets them up for more success or a let down. Goc seemed so wound up in every interview the last week, he'll come down like a 3 yo off a sugar high.

Anyway, given that Marcel Goc was the captain for this team, wouldn't he still be considered a lock for the WC squad? Or did he retire from the national team after this?

Goc hasn't said anything about it, but Sturm said something about the team changing in coming years, which some media took to hint at retirement plans for Goc and Reimer. Would probably be after this season though and not affect this WC.

Jez

Jun 6, 2017
New York
Any chance they bring Dominik Bokk to give him some senior team experience and exposure before the draft?

Daeni10

Kunitz was there
Dec 31, 2013
Cologne
Any chance they bring Dominik Bokk to give him some senior team experience and exposure before the draft?

I think they definetly should bring him there, even if he doesn't get that much playing time. He might be worse than some of the other options, but German hockey should do everything to make him better in the long run.

Reactions: Jez

loewe80

Oct 30, 2012
After the Olympics German Hockey should be realistic. Especially Media which did not follow or pushed the sport for years.

Staying in the A Level would be a success.

Stum will and should pick an completely different team f.e.

Treutle
Strahlmeier
Greiss (maybe)

Abeltshauser - Akdag
Bender - Wagner
Ebner - J Müller
Gawanke

Rieder - Draisaitl - Tiffels
Ehliz - Kahun - Macek
M Müller - Pietta - Wiederer
Loible - Eisenschmid - Bokk

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
^ Making the quarterfinals would be a success. Staying at the A level should be expected. Relegation to the B level would be quite the disappointment.

GermanNuck

Jun 15, 2011
Germany
After the Olympics German Hockey should be realistic. Especially Media which did not follow or pushed the sport for years.

Staying in the A Level would be a success.

Stum will and should pick an completely different team f.e.

Treutle
Strahlmeier
Greiss (maybe)

Abeltshauser - Akdag
Bender - Wagner
Ebner - J Müller
Gawanke

Rieder - Draisaitl - Tiffels
Ehliz - Kahun - Macek
M Müller - Pietta - Wiederer
Loible - Eisenschmid - Bokk

That team is way to young. Sturm will throw more experienced players in the mix.

The German goal should be the QF, staying in the A league was never really a goal for German hockey on senior level. Don't see why that should change to the worse after an Olympic silver medal.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Back to reality for the Germans this summer, the level of competition is 3 times higher at the WHC then what was at the olympics this year.

No silvers here.

Reindl87

May 18, 2012
Goc will be on the team I think this is fairly certain.
As always the quater final has to be the goal and nothing more less.
Given the fact that we are in the weaker group and Draisaitl will be on the team puts us in a good Position.
The Goal of German hockey has to be to regeain the undisputed spot as the world's eigth best hockey Nation. Everything else is impossible.

Reactions: Frannel

Urbanskog

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Helsinki
Goc will be on the team I think this is fairly certain.
As always the quater final has to be the goal and nothing more less.
Given the fact that we are in the weaker group and Draisaitl will be on the team puts us in a good Position.
The Goal of German hockey has to be to regeain the undisputed spot as the world's eigth best hockey Nation. Everything else is impossible.
There isn't much of a gap between the eighth and the seventh.

Reactions: Frannel

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
There isn't much of a gap between 7th and 13th probably.
Slovakia, Switzerland, Germany, Latvia, Norway, Denmark and probably France are all closer to each other than to the Top-6.

Urbanskog

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Helsinki
As somebody already mentioned they should be happy with staying in the A level group.

When NHL players factor in Team Germany barely scrapes by.
That's a ridiculous claim, Germany has qualified for quarterfinals the last two years and now they should be happy with remaining in the elite division? Besides, it looks like Germany might be able to scrape together a solid team this year — Islanders and Oilers are already effectively out of the playoff contention. As for the other teams with German players on them, in case they would all qualify for playoffs, some would surely have their season ended by the first round.

Planet Hockey

Apr 22, 2016
As somebody already mentioned they should be happy with staying in the A level group.

Germany has more excellent North American pros than a lot of countries ranked right below them. If you add all eligible NHL talent to Norway and Germany, the Germans get more of a boost. Same with Latvia, Korea etc. Those are the teams that Germany needs to sweep to reach the Q-finals.

Besides, Sturm is making a case as the best international coach in the biz. People try to explain-away results like Can 2, Ger 1 at WC 2017 or OAR 4, Ger 3 at the Olympics by saying "the Germans were taken lightly" or something. So what? If all it takes is a little overconfidence for a top country to lose to Germany, then they've always got a chance.

Retroglyphs

Mar 23, 2018

How so, I wonder? Germany will have a say in who's going to the QFs. The team has shown great determination, and performed really well in crucial situations vs. top teams at the Olympics. Now adding their No.1 centre, their most experienced D'man and their best goaltender, they'll be a tough nut to crack for any team in the stronger A pool.

Ducks76

Oct 15, 2017
That's a ridiculous claim, Germany has qualified for quarterfinals the last two years and now they should be happy with remaining in the elite division? Besides, it looks like Germany might be able to scrape together a solid team this year — Islanders and Oilers are already effectively out of the playoff contention. As for the other teams with German players on them, in case they would all qualify for playoffs, some would surely have their season ended by the first round.
I doubt whether Germany this form can hold?

Retroglyphs

Mar 23, 2018
@Mr Writer

I guess this is what the ideal german team would look like, in case all NHLers came onboard after the 1st PO-round (won't happen).

1st LINE: In my opinion, Yasin Ehliz was our best winger during the Olympic tournament, playing particularly well in the final vs. Russia. No doubt, with his great 2-way qualities, his speed, grittiness and determination he fits best with Dr. Drai. Put the super-quick Rieder on the other wing, and you have a deadly line.

2nd LINE and 3rd LINE: Felix Schütz & Patrick Hager had good chemistry, as did Dominik Kahun and Franky Mauer - these couples seem to be a fix. Macek is one of our best snipers and a valuable righthanded shot, and Kink adds much-needed defensive qualities.

4th LINE: Even if Sturm hinted at changes in the nearer future, team captain Marcel Goc and the experienced winger Patrick Reimer will be on-board again. Goc is also our best face-off player (a bit like Denmark's centre Julian Jakobsen), so, his participation will be crucial for success.

Pföderl & Noebels are both having great seasons, they are getting the edge over Plachta & Wolf, who'll be in as long as Rieder & Kühnhackl stay unavailable.

Defense: A good mix of more offensively and more defensively minded defenders. Adding Holzer would be awesome, as him and Boyle would be the only defensemen with a righthanded shot. Krupp is a quality replacement stay at homer though, he played really well at the Olympics.

Goal: I agree with you that Greiss-Aus den Birken-Pielmeier is the most likely combination. As for Grubauer, he plays a much better season than Greiss, so I assume he'd be Sturm's No.1, if becoming available.

YASIN EHLIZLEON DRAISAITLTOBIAS RIEDER
FELIX SCHÜTZPATRICK HAGERBROOKS MACEK
MARKUS KINKDOMINIK KAHUNFRANK MAUER
TOM KÜHNHACKLMARCEL GOCPATRICK REIMER
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
LEO PFÖDERL MARCEL NOEBELS
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
CHRISTIAN EHRHOFFDARYL BOYLE
FRANK HÖRDLERDENNIS SEIDENBERG
YANNIC SEIDENBERGJONAS MÜLLER
MORITZ MÜLLERKORBINIAN HOLZER
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
PHILIPP GRUBAUER
THOMAS GREISS
DANNY AUS DEN BIRKEN
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Reactions: Planet Hockey

kalle wirsch

May 29, 2015
Roster against Russia
1STRAHLMEIERDustin17.05.92L1,9387Wild Wings Schwenningen0
T35NIEDERBERGERMathias26.11.92L1,8080Düsseldorfer EG15
Verteidiger
V5BRÜCKNERBenedikt01.01.90L1,8590Wild Wings Schwenningen23
V6ZERRESSENPascal22.11.92L1,96100Kölner Haie10
V8BENDERTim19.03.95L1,8282Wild Wings Schwenningen0
V11NOWAKMarco23.07.90R1,8893Düsseldorfer EG6
V13DASCHNERStephan05.08.88R1,8085Düsseldorfer EG22
V38WAGNERFabio17.09.95L1,8385ERC Ingolstadt0
V53SEZEMSKYSimon28.06.93R1,8480Augsburger Panther0
V67EBNERBernhard12.09.90L1,8891Düsseldorfer EG31
Stürmer
S15LOIBLStefan24.06.96L1,8678Straubing Tigers3
S18SCHMÖLZDaniel25.01.92L1,8380Augsburger Panther0
S21KRÄMMERNicolas23.10.92L1,8694Kölner Haie32
S27UVIRASebastian26.01.93L1,8895Kölner Haie16
S39ELSNERDavid22.03.92R1,8383ERC Ingolstadt0
S49KAMMERERMaximilian28.09.96L1,8577Düsseldorfer EG5
S61HÖFFLINMirko18.06.92L1,8380Wild Wings Schwenningen11
S62DANNERSimon25.12.86R1,8282Wild Wings Schwenningen14
S65MICHAELISMarc31.07.95L1,7779Minnesota State Univ0
S66STURMNico03.05.95L1,9194Clarkson Univ.0
S77HAFENRICHTERJaroslav22.01.90R1,8291Augsburger Panther0
S97HOLZMANNThomas17.07.87L1,8580Augsburger Panther7
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Last edited:
Reactions: Retroglyphs

Maverick41

Cold-blooded Jelly Doughnut
Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
Will he get any position on the team's management?

Franz Reindl, the president of the DEB, said that they would eventually approach Ehrhoff about a possible involvement in the federation, but I think it is unlikely he will be a part of the coaching staff or soemthing for this tournament.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad